How far can we go... New BF ultra records

DayRunner

Barefooters
Oct 8, 2012
Brisbane, Australia
At the risk of being accused of blowing smoke up my own ass, I just wanted to share some personal experience with like-minded individuals and hopefully offer some encouragement as I in turn have been encouraged. I also thought I would kill 2 birds with one stone rather than posting in new member introductions...

I started barefoot running last September at the same time as starting to run ultras, and set myself a silly goal of trying to break the 2 Guinness World Records for barefoot running, ie Fastest 100km Barefoot and Farthest Distance Barefoot in 24hours. It's been a steep learning curve, but to my wife's amusement I broke both records at the Sri Chinmoy Australian 24 hour Championships in Sydney in June this year, recently accepted by Guinness (100km was done in 11h17mins and I continued on to do 166.444km in 24 hours). The following link has a bit more info and a link to a gallery of some photos from the run:

http://www.couriermail.com.au/quest...ot-ultramarathon/story-fn8m0u4y-1226416885210

(n.b. I did not coin the name Barefoot Bandit, you can blame that on the journo who seems to have been inspired by my Akubra hat...)

Anyway I realize not everyone here runs barefoot to be competitive, but for me thats what floats my boat and I hope that by pushing the envelope I can do something positive for the sport, ie show that barefoot can be a viable alternative for competitors at the ultra level. In this spirit I am very much looking to break these records again and again and again, and hopefully encourage others to do the same. I think a sub 10 hour barefoot 100km is achievable, and 200km in 24 hours (note though I am not saying who will achieve it or when!)

To this end if anyone can benefit from my experience to date then happy to share as much info as people are interested in. I am certainly indebted to those that had posted their experiences online when I was trying to get my head around barefoot running over the past year.

All the best,

Rob

I have mixed feelings about barefoot records. On one hand, it's a testament to what is possible. On the other hand, I don't like classifying barefootedness as a separate category because it implies we're at a disadvantage and need a special handicapped category.

Of course, that brings up the debate of barefootedness being a disadvantage. As someone that has toyed with long-distance barefoot running, I will say it's FAR easier to run long in shoes. Long distance barefoot running required nearly perfect conditions (i.e.- controlled surface, good weather), especially if night running is involved.

Back in the day, I made several attempts at running a hundo barefoot. Eventually I abandoned the efforts because it was seriously limiting the races I could run. Running any serious trails were out of the question. Still, I'd love to see someone tackle a hundo barefoot. I think a few (Chaser being one) that considered Rocky Raccoon next year.

Reactions: happysongbird
Hi Rob and welcome,

Incredible. Great Job. I hope you stick around to give us lower mileage (way lower mileage) guys some advice. Less than a year barefoot? That's fast adaptation.

I agree with Jason on the records. I don't think there should be separate categories for being barefoot. At a recent marathon, people commented that I should get something special for completing it barefoot. I said no, I chose to do it that way and just finishing was special enough for me.

That should take nothing away from your achievement. The records are there, accept them and continue to break them.

Rick W.

Reactions: Pon
I noticed there cons list was mostly crap, there was one item that I find a con on that list and that is the unaccustomed strain on muscles and tendons, everything else they had on the list was added on so that the pros didn't completely outweigh the cons... You know, if they'd have said getting sap on your feet and then picking up hitchhikers on the feet because of the sap, that is a definite con, walking on crushed gravel, that is a definite con, but dirty feet? Get real.

I dunno, squishing through dog poo or a slug is way gnarlier barefoot than shod. On the other hand, when I pulled off my Sanuks today, I'm pretty sure the nasty vinegary stench was worse... Oops, was that too much information? :p

The needing to learn to walk barefoot before running con is also kind of a load of crock as well. I understand many people do it that way, but it's by no means a must, and even if it were, I'm not sure what'd be so bad about it. Don't a lot of shoddies start out walking before jogging as well?

@Rob: I totally get the competetive thing! I'm not necessarily out to break any world records, but discovering that I can run faster and longer from one race to the next is hugely motivating for me. Good for you for finding the way you love to run and doing it well, and thanks for raising the bar for all of us competetive types just a little higher! :) Congrats on the records!

Wow, Jason, you sure do go back and forth on your thinking for support of a barefoot category. Remember our Mission Statement?

I am totally for Barefoot Divisions. Here's my thinking on it, copied from my notes of long ago as I wrote it to someone else, like it or not... This was more about the opinion that one was better than the other, but I also cover my thoughts on abilities and advantages here. (Jason's already seen this.)

It's a shame that some shod runners may feel, as you call it, "alienated," because we are very inclusive to everyone when it comes to getting involved with running barefoot. It does require them to shed their shoes first though. We also recognize the importance of promoting our sport. In fact, one of the missions of the Barefoot Runners Society is to promote the sport of barefoot running around the country as a competitive sport. Our mission statement can be found on our site's home page. Our mission statement was agreed upon by the founding board members, Jason, Preston, Victor, Haley, me, and Cameron. We say "competitive" as in one barefoot runner competing against another barefoot runner to see who can reach the finish line first. It's not a barefoot runner thing against a shod runner thing. It's about one barefoot runner competing against another barefoot runner.

There are Barefoot Runner Divisions popping up all around the country, and they will continue to do so. In just these past few days, we were contacted by the New York Times and the CBS Evening News with Katie Couric looking for barefoot runners to feature in their news stories/segments about the upcoming NYC Marathon. They weren't asking for a shod runner. They were asking for a barefoot runner, so apparently, there is something "different" about it. It's very possible that the shod runner is the one who is at the disadvantage here; the jury is still out. Running on pavement/concrete/asphalt/earth and running on cushioning are two different terrains. A barefoot runner doesn't have someone throwing cotton and padding under every step they take. So, not only is the sporting equipment different, but the surfaces are different as well.

But there are certain disadvantages a barefoot runner faces that a shod runner does not, and at the same time, there are disadvantages that a shod runner faces that a barefoot runner does not. I tend to think of shod running and barefoot running as two different sports, just like roller skating and ice skating are two different sports. I would not expect a roller skater to skate on hardwoods as fast as an ice skater could skate on ice, or for that matter, expect an ice skater to skate on hardwoods or a roller skater to skate on ice. No one is saying one is better than the other, just different. Trail running and road running are different sports (because the terrain is different), which bring different challenges to the runner. Marketing to trail runners is a lot different than marketing to road runners, the shoes are different, the venue is different, the ability of the athlete is different. Not one is better than the other, again, just different. It's the same for motorcycle sports; some ride on dirt with dirt bikes, some ride on asphalt with road bikes. They are different sports. Water skiing on skis and barefoot water skiing (which is really growing lately) are two different sports and are judged separately. Technical gymnastics and rhythmic gymnastics are two different sports and are judged differently. I could go on and on. Not one is better than the other, just different.

I would also like to point out that there are Clydesdale and Athena divisions for a reason. These are the heavier set runners, and historically, they don't place well when put in competition with the leaner runners. We have age divisions. Again, historically, the older we get, the slower we get. We have gender divisions. Everyone knows that most men are faster than most women. We have elite divisions. Yes, reputable events allow the elites to go ahead of the rest of us. I don't hear anyone complaining about these divisions. Mention a barefoot runners division, and boy, do people start jumping out of the woodwork. Now of course if you are a barefoot runner, and you don't want to register for a barefoot runner divisioned race, you don't have to. You can still stay in the weight, age, gender, and elite divisions. I can totally respect your viewpoint, although it is not of my own. This is the way I see it. Again, one's not better than the other, just different.

Hi Rob, congrats on an amazing achievement! I am sure you can and will inspire many. :barefoot: Glad to have you here!

Edited for distance...

I just wanted to note a similar achievement made by Todd Ragsdale, who ran about the same miles as you did (102.65 miles) barefoot in 24 hours and set the Guinness Record for the Longest Barefoot Run. His was all done on a rubberized-track. Check out his story along with pictures here: http://thebarefootrunners.org/threads/102-mile-barefoot-ultra-no-simple-feat.5549/#post-55833 Have you heard about him? He's not the only one who's done this though, but I can't remember the name of the other guy who did it (ran on trails), but he was in the news a few months ago. Perhaps there are more than one title because it had to do with the surface you guys ran on? Do you know if that's the difference?

166.444 kilometer = 103.423 506 72 mile

That's a lot of track running. I'd get dizzy, or drunk.

TJ- I do have mixed feelings about it. For the record, I also have mixed feelings about the clydesdale/athena/age group/gender group divisions as well.

I kinda have mixed feelings about the clydesdale division also. I see some of those guys and they are fit as heck, but they are tall so they qualify; which means those who the division is probably meant for are pushed out.

Don't people who are taller have longer strides? Is that really fair? I mean, maybe we should have a height division? HA!

And see, Jason, those divisions, age, gender, elite, etc., don't really bother me. I'm just making a point, really, and I think a damn good one.

I'm sure my current perspective is a function of the time I spend around trail runners... they tend to be militantly egalitarian. I ran a race and afterward congratulated the first place woman for finishing first. She replied (paraphrased) "I didn't win, I came in fourth." It took me awhile to realize she finished fourth overall. Her goal wasn't be beat her gender; her goal was to win the race. I like that perspective.

Personally, I do too.

But in this case, both men and women are competing in the same sport.

I mean, put one person on a trail and one on a road and have them run the same distance? Who, typically, will finish first?

I'm sure my current perspective is a function of the time I spend around trail runners... they tend to be militantly egalitarian. I ran a race and afterward congratulated the first place woman for finishing first. She replied (paraphrased) "I didn't win, I came in fourth." It took me awhile to realize she finished fourth overall. Her goal wasn't be beat her gender; her goal was to win the race. I like that perspective.

I like the categories of racers they don't hurt anyone and help others.

Take that lady for instance her goal was to beat everyone. Nothing about having a gender/age/shod-ness keeps her from seeing how she did over all.

But for people who want to know how they stack up to people in their "category" having them broken out is helpful and encouraging. I run with some people in town occasionally that feel great that they were the fastest lady over 50 to finish a race. But if you look at her name in a list compared to everyone else it looks like she is one of the worst runners that attended the event. That is no where near as uplifting for her as beating a bunch of the other "golden girls" as she calls them.

And with the ease of use that excel/spreadsheets bring it isn't hard for organizers to break out lists of people as long as they fill out entry forms correctly.

Thanks all for a warm welcome,

Some interesting follow-on discussion, I think I probably agree quite a bit with you Jason about wanting to compete with shod runners on an equal footing (sorry, pun unintended). I confess I've personally never felt a need to run in a separate barefoot category in races, as I thought the best I could try to do for the sport would be to compete with shod runners on even terms. I agree that this doesn't look very likely in long trail ultras though, and to be honest I recently did my first 100 miler with shoes on (don't tell anyone but I've never had trouble with shoes so I am OK with this!). Hats off to those attempting 100 mile trails unshod, that really would be a gutsy frontier to conquer. But trail running is only part of the equation for me; I love road and track running too, even if its going round and round in circles for 24 hours on a running track. And in this context I think there is better scope for closer competition (and comparison) between shod and unshod runners, so I have felt strongly drawn towards it. As for barefoot records, I suppose I personally don't find them incompatible with running in non-barefoot races/categories. They represent an indicator of how comparable running barefoot can be (in terms of speed and distance), and gives those of us who are that way motivated something to chase after. I also can't help but think the more we can close the gap in terms of shod versus unshod records then the more people will be attracted to barefoot running. There are much better ultra runners than me out there - I'd like to see some of them take their shoes off and race!

In this vane the race I chose to take part in was our National 24 hour (shod) Championships, which was done on an Olympic-standard Mondo (synthetic) track. Whilst my debut performance wasn't world-class, I placed 11th out of 32 shod runners which I was encouraged by as I hadn't run barefoot further than 50k before. It got down to -3 celcius at night during the race, so I believe barefoot is practical in a fairly wide range of weather conditions and I hope to mix it up with different race surfaces in the future e.g road/tarmac.

@RickW - Thanks, and yes I had fun the whole way! I'd be cautious about giving anyone advice as such as I am not a qualified coach, but I am happy to talk about what has worked for me in case others can draw from it. I ignored the advice about building up gently, although that doesnt mean I didnt exercise care and caution. For example I consulted a trusted running coach for a gait analysis and advice prior to transitioning (and a few weeks later to review the change in my form, which was quite pronounced). I also found having done yoga useful for "listening" to what was happening in my body, so I could ease off (or cross-train with my running shoes on) before discomfort could become injury. And 10 years in amateur boxing earlier in my life had helped lay the foundations for foot strength and springiness (you move around on your forefeet in boxing). My experience also aligned with Ken Bob Saxton's advice about not shying away from the hurty stuff early on, as opposed to trying to transition through minimalist shoes. Toughening the feet is a red herring in my opinion, its about learning to land softly. Of course this approach won't work for everyone, but I've enjoyed being an experiment of one.

I agree with all the comments about the questionable advice given out in the second part of that news article (I had no involvement in it), and thats partly why I think its important for people to share their experiences, as there seems to be a lot of advice being dished out to barefoot runners which I am not always sure is helpful. I mean, I still struggle to walk barefoot on sharp surfaces, I find it much more painful than running on them!

@Chelsea - Hi and yes, fortunately dog owners are much more considerate here in Australia than in my native England... any English barefoot runners need eagle-like eyesight or a strong constitution!

@TJ - Thanks again, and yes I had very much read about Todd's run when I was deciding if what I was doing was a good idea (or even possible). And it is in part his shared experience that I was referring to when I said I felt indebted to others who had shared their experiences when I was seeking guidance and inspiration. I think Todd must not have got his approval from Guinness for whatever reason (they can be strict about evidence), as I was advised when I applied that "The greatest distance run barefoot in 24 hours is 156.2 km, achieved by Abhjeet Baruah (India) in Jorhat, Assam, India, between 30-31 January 2012" - the record requirements as they stand do not specify what surface is being run on. That said, when I was doing my run I had Todd's distance in my mind as the "real" target to aim for. I recall another guy set another record by running about 90 miles in 24 hours recently on Huntington Beach, which is a separate record (not specifically barefoot but rather farthest distance in 24 hours on sand).

Anyway as per my previous post this is not to say that chasing after records is any more important than any of the other good work that is being done here to further the sport, but it's certainly transformed my perspective as a runner and I'm look forward to seeing more barefoot runners out there in ultra-distance races.

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test