How do you roll?

Barefoot TJ

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 5, 2010
I have Morton's Neuroma, a very painful condition where the metatarsal bones press on the nerves causing them to swell. I can't wear shoes anymore, thank God! But I still have to deal with this horrible pain. MN forces me to use a near-flat footfall. I land on the midfoot, then I lift. No rolling off onto the ball or toes for lift-off. If I were to run the way a "normal" runner does (shod or barefoot), rolling off onto the ball or toes, it would cause the nerves to be compressed even more than they are now, while running.

That is, my form is unique to only me. My proper barefoot running form is different than yours. Do you have a crazy condition that forces you to run with a different, individualized running form? Share.

While my form isn't caused by

While my form isn't caused by pain, I land on the extreme outside edge of my midfoot and roll the rest of my foot to the ground. It looks very funky. I even do it when walking barefoot where it is more noticeable.

I think the idea that we all have unique form is important. Sometimes we get caught up in the idea that we should be chasing some artificially-imposed ideal. In reality, we should be searching for what works for our own unique anatomy.

I think the fact that you

I think the fact that you both have listened to your bodies and work on your own unique form rather than trying to force some sort of "perfect form" is awesome. Well said both of you. That being said, I just try to do what feels best for me. Not quite sure what my own "unique form" is just yet.

You'll find it, Zum.  I'm

You'll find it, Zum. I'm sure of it. You are a new BFR, but you have heart. It'll come faster than you expect

For some reason, I have a

For some reason, I have a hard time following my form. When I pay attention to it, I'm not totally sure how I'm running. My best guess is that it's mostly a full footed type of landing, probably starting slightly on the outside edges. And that's mostly based just on looking at my feet. When I read about others describe the intricacies of there form, I am amazed that they can gather all those fine details.

Pain is a good teacher, and

Pain is a good teacher, and with MN, I get a lot of lectures.

Matt wrote: For some reason,

Matt said:
For some reason, I have a hard time following my form. When I pay attention to it, I'm not totally sure how I'm running. My best guess is that it's mostly a full footed type of landing, probably starting slightly on the outside edges. And that's mostly based just on looking at my feet. When I read about others describe the intricacies of there form, I am amazed that they can gather all those fine details.

FWIW- The only reason I know so much about my form is watching video OR having others analyze my gait. While running, I'm not always aware of what and where everything is going.

When others watch my gait, they usually laugh. They will claim it is too unorthodox; that I am an accident waiting to happen. So far, so good.
smile.png

Thanks TJ, I'll try to listen

Thanks TJ, I'll try to listen to my feet more and hear what they have to say. So far, I can tell that I land slightly on the outer ball of my foot. That's the area that's toughening up the most and is usually the most scuffed up looking after my run.

Jason, apparently you're doin something right running the mileage you do with NO injuries, I say "ta hell" with the "others"
smile.png