How do you mow your grass?

Yep...."weeds" are a very subjective category of plant

Clover used to be desired in lawns and it becoming more popular today supposedly. It uses less water and since it is nitrogen fixing, never needs to be fertilized. I think the whole anticlover thing is a marketing ploy by lawn care companies. You have to put chemicals down to kill the clover and then put more chemicals down to replace the nitrogen the clovers provided. Grass by itself sucks all the nutrients out of the soil. Grass and clover can be great friends planted together.

I am thinking of putting clover seed down since I don’t put chemicals on my lawn. I garden in the yard and like to keep things organic. Clover out competes most weeds and I have a lot of weeds. Also the clover attracts bunnies, which thrills my daughter to no end.

Reactions: Lomad and Bare Lee
Been using one of these lately...bad timing since the lawn was reseeded and we've had heaps of rain! Good workout though.

On a side note, one of my friends chopped off his toes mowing the lawn barefoot...it can and does happen so be safe, people!

I know a guy whose foot got torn up from his mower, while wearing shoes. Shoes will do nothing to protect you from a spinning mower blade.

Yeah that depends on many factors, steel toe boots might deflect a knick from the blade but a tennis shoe isnt going to do much at all. But even with steel toe boots if you slip pushing up hill and the mower runs over your arm those boots arent going to do much. You can't be prepared for everything!

Woodsman, great info. I have looked into clover infused seed for when I need to re-do my front lawn. It is high on my list and I may overseed the back with it as well...

Clover used to be desired in lawns and it becoming more popular today supposedly.

Yeah since I was turned on to the idea I have persuaded one friend to use clover and have a couple other debating. He wants to switch his whole backyard over but so far he has it growing well on a hillside that was always a pain for him to mow. But I dont really know or have seen anyone else do it.

I have lots of clover in my yard, and weeds, to me its green and I dont really care. I've never used fertilizers or spent money on my lawn (other than mowing), and to me it looks fine. Half of my property was a hay field up until 2 years ago when I started mowing it after the last cutting by the neighbor. Its probably as much clover as anything else for most of it.

Is it too early to posit a connection between BFR and clover? I'm spotting a nascent trend here, and suggest we get in on the ground floor and invest now. I'm glad this thread has finally produced some useful information. Clover cultivation seems vastly superior to the previously proposed goat protocol.

Reactions: Lomad
Maybe so... But goats kick ass, and are very yummy!

Reactions: Bare Lee
Maybe so... But goats kick ass, and are very yummy!
Only a poorly conducted study with flawed methodology and a small, statistically insignificant sample size comparing 2 goats and a small patch of clovers as non-mowing indeed unmechanical mechanisms to, or alternative modalities of, proper lawn maintenance will give us definitive results, which will then go viral on all the usual sites, and future lore and a smattering of loosely related books will attest that it all started here, at BRS, on this thread.

Reactions: Lomad
Im in "Camp Goat" as the only clovers I like are made of freeze dried marshmallow and are chased after by a leprachaun.

Dont be silly Lee..

If I were to fill my yard with a cereal it would have to be Count Chocula.... Or boobies.

The one time I have stepped on a bee while BF was when stepping through a patch of clover. So yeah I'm not a huge fan of the stuff. Has an odd sticky feeling when walking on it, too.

Plus Rabbits like clover. And lets face it, aside from the asthetic comedy their excriment produces, their just lame. Although they do taste yummy!

Reactions: Bare Lee
So you're pellet eater?!

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo9090