How do you mow your grass?

The Ramzev

Chapter Presidents
Jun 14, 2010
Milford, DE
I'm just curious if I'm the only crazy barefoot guy/gal who uses one of these:

41YQ80T1RVL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I have ~ 3/4 of an acre, this works great for me. If I let it go too long I do have to use the gas mower, but 80% of the time I use the reel mower. It's clean, doesn't seem to take as much effort and I can have the kids in the yard while I mow.

Reactions: Robin
I dont mow my yard with one of these but my Grandparents used to have several of these which they used to cut the grass around their farm house. I would like to try one in my yard. I have a half acre to mow and vividly remember that you get a good workout pushing these things but they do do a nice job if the grass isnt to tall. My grass is very thick or I should say dense bluegrass. Would it cut really dense grass or push too hard? I have never tried one of these in dense grass.

I live in Louisville and have thick healthy grass. I have a lawn boy do it , can they still be called law boy if they are over 50 ? Best 25 bucks a week for cutting the grass and edging. I have bad allergies or I would do it myself. Well maybe not. haha

I have fairly dense grass in parts of my yard, as long as it doesn't get real long this goes through it pretty good. It's not as easy as the self propelled, but it does a good job.

How does it work if the grass is wet? I want to get one when I get a real house, whenever the market comes back and I can unload this stupid condo.

Ever hear of those newfangled things, er, riding lawn mowers, Ram? Get with the times! Hee.

Reactions: Bare Lee
I use a petrol driven rotary push mower, but I'd love a cylinder mower like that as they give a much better cut to the grass. The only problem is that I travel so much I can't guarantee that I get to the grass often enough to keep it short enough to use one.

But who mows the lawn barefoot?

Not me.

My neighbors are used to it, I'm the crazy barefoot guy with the old fashioned mower. It's funny cause the guy across the street have a lawn service, he just shakes his head at me.

Nick, it's ok on wet grass, but better when it's dry, just like any mower. I like to mow late at night so sometimes it's a little wet from dew and I haven't had problems, but right after rain is a different story.

It's funny cause the guy across the street have a lawn service, he just shakes his head at me. Hee.

Thanks Ram. I only ask because if we didn't cut the grass here because it was wet the grass would be ten feet high. We get lot's of rain here so...

We own a push reel mower, and the couple we are renting a room from also have one. They also have a gas push mower. It is all rather comical because he insists on mowing the front lawn and she the back. She's scared of the gas mower and uses the push reel mower. He does not think the push reel mower is manly enough, so he only uses the gas mower. He is concerned about how the law will look, poor misguided guy, and believes the push reel mower will not do the job as well. All the spots he misses in the front lawn suggest operator error. On the other hand, the back lawn normally looks really nice!

My wife and I laugh about this situation all the time. Oh, they probably have about 2000 sq ft total in lawn space.

By the way Ram, and I think you thought of this, since this conversation was listed in the Pub I did not think you were referring to lawn maintenance. On the other hand, I did not really believe that you would start a thread about the euphemism, but was prepared with a humorous anecdote nonetheless.

Reactions: Bare Lee
I tried mowing the lawn once in flip flops when I was a kid using a gas powered lawnmower. That was the last time I did that with a gas powered mower. I didn't see a rock, which got kicked out straight back and hit my toes. Ouch. Oh I know there's the rubber flap in the back meant to keep debris from flying back at the operator, but all that did was make the rock fly near ground level at me. A man powered push mower though like the one shown and I would mow with barefeet.

I tried mowing the lawn once in flip flops when I was a kid using a gas powered lawnmower. That was the last time I did that with a gas powered mower. I didn't see a rock, which got kicked out straight back and hit my toes. Ouch. Oh I know there's the rubber flap in the back meant to keep debris from flying back at the operator, but all that did was make the rock fly near ground level at me. A man powered push mower though like the one shown and I would mow with barefeet.
Yah, I agree, if you're mowing with a gas-powered mower, standing behind it and not sitting on it, through debris or rocks, then heavy shoes, maybe even with a steel-toe, and maybe even goggles, would be in order.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo9090