How do you clean your feet?!

Mike UK

Barefooters
Jul 19, 2015
Newport Beach CA
Apologies if this has been posted and discussed already; I did a search but didn't seem to find it.

How do you clean your feet after barefoot running!?
I've only done 4 barefoot runs so far (max. about 2/3 of a mile). I run around inside the gated community where I live on black asphalt road, which is really smooth (which I read is good to start on?), and all is going well so far.
However, my feet get really dirty black after running and I can't get it off!! I guess it's a combination of general dust and dirt, rubber from car tires?, even drops of oil etc on there?!
My feet have always been quite sweaty (I guess this forum is one place talking about sweaty feet is ok..?!), which I think makes stuff stick to them.
Any tips on how to clean your feet after running??
Thanks!

Reactions: Random
Used this on my feet after running this morning - worked great!
Also felt like a massage with the pumice in there ;)
5711012-25116FastOrangepumice_zpsejotlba6.jpg

Reactions: Random and johan131
i usually just hit them with your basic bar of soap while sitting on the edge of the bathtub with an inch or two of water in the bottom. that and a "junky towel" by the door to get the worst off if need be. if you live in a wet place, you will find that during droughts, you get a lot more black stuff because all that rubber and oil hasn't gotten rinsed off the roads. i agree that running in the rain will get you the cleanest (bottoms of the) feet you've ever had.

also, i have found that the skin on the bottom of my feet has changed over the past couple years. when i first started, all sorts of things would stick (sand, rocks, acorns, whatever) but as time went on, fewer and fewer things stick. of course, my tolerance for dust/dirt/etc has also increased a little bit, so i'm not sure i can completely disentangle the effects.

Sad to say but I don't really clean my feet after a run, whatever the water takes off when I'm in the shower. If I run during extreme heat and get some tar of my feet from the streets, then i will use some soap.

Sad to say I do the same. :rolleyes:

Our neighborhood streets were just resurfaced with new asphalt and running on this seems to make the bottoms of my feet appear so black that it looks like my soles were colored with a black permenant marker. When I need my soles clean scrubbing the soles with a scotchbrite pad and some soap seems to really work well! Oh and if they are really dirty I too wash them outside before brining that grime into my shower.

Try a natural bristle brush, with regular soap, in the bath or shower. I like the brush because it gets into all the little crevices around toes. Use it on the tops of feet as well. Let it dry overnight and repeat! Mine came from Whole Foods but you can find them in any good grocery or drug store. Just be sure to use natural bristle, not plastic.

I use a hard bristle floor brush while I take my shower. I also use a baby bottle nipple brush for between the toes.