How do you carry "backup" shoes?

chuckcwall

Barefooters
Jul 14, 2011
Hello everyone!

So, it's gotten cold enough here in western Mass that I'm doing most of my running minimal, but I take off my shoes and try to finish out the last mile or so barefoot.

When mixing minimal/BF on a run, how do you carry your shoes? I am annoyed to have them in my hands, so lately I've been sticking them in the back of my waist band (no real pockets to speak of in my running outfit). Does anyone have a better way, maybe some sort of fanny pack or belt that you would recommend?

Thanks in advance for your collective wisdom!

I have a small camelbak, but

I have a small camelbak, but it doesn't work well to carry bigger shoes. I don't like anything in my hands, but sometimes it's the best way, especially if you don't want to waste a lot of time stuffing shoes in a pack or strapping them to a belt.

I throw them as far as I can.

I throw them as far as I can. Then, when I get to them, I throw them again.

Actually, Ive never carried shoes with me before...

Depending on the type of shoe

Depending on the type of shoe (VFFs or huaraches), you can use a Spibelt. You can loop the strap over the belt. Google them. They also have an ever-expanding pocket for other goodies. They have them at www.SwimOutlet.com too.

28838-2.jpg

When I carried bulkier shoes

When I carried bulkier shoes as backups I carried a backpack. Nowadays my trail gloves and (better yet) bedrock sandals just tuck into my hydration belt.

If I'm on a short run and/or plan on BFR just a short distance I'll sometim just carry one in each hand.

Why even employ something

Why even employ something extra to carry huaraches? I carry them in my cargo pockets.

I used to carry my Zem ninjas

I used to carry my Zem ninjas as my backup shoes by rolling them up tightly into cylinders (about 2" diameter) secured with a velcro cable tie (I suppose you could also use a thick rubber band). They weigh nothing and I would just carry them in my hands.

Trail shoes I thow in my

Trail shoes I thow in my camelback tied up to the outside. Normal runs I just hold them in my hands. The zems and huaraches are so light that I got used to it. I can't carry the handheld waterbottles or anything, but I don't mind the shoes. It took a week or two to get used to it but then it was fine.

Sorry, you lost me when you

Sorry, you lost me when you said "running outfit".

Hahahahahahahahahaha!

Hahahahahahahahahaha!

People lose me whenever they

People lose me whenever they need suggestions for carrying things that are easily pocketable.

Lunas and vibrams do stay in

Lunas and vibrams do stay in the back of the waist line of the pants/short when i put them there.

The auqasocks are a bit heavier so i'm having problems with those and usually end up carrying them in each hand. Would prefer to tuck them somewhere but you get used to it.

Nyah- I for one have no

Nyah- I for one have no pockets this time of year, when its cold enough to wear my tights but not a jacket. One of my 2 pairs of tights do have pockets though, but I cant see stuffing shoes into tight's pockets... that would look really goofy and i'd worry about stretching them out.

If wearing a jacket I guess I could fit my VFF Komodosports in the pockets, I'll have to try to see how annoying that would be. My other thought is to just loop back to the house, kick off the shoes into my yard or on the porch, and head back out for a bit more bf. Substitute car for house if your at a park or something.

Tristan-OH wrote:Nyah- I for

Tristan-OH said:
Nyah- I for one have no pockets this time of year, when its cold enough to wear my tights but not a jacket. One of my 2 pairs of tights do have pockets though, but I cant see stuffing shoes into tight's pockets... that would look really goofy and i'd worry about stretching them out.

If wearing a jacket I guess I could fit my VFF Komodosports in the pockets, I'll have to try to see how annoying that would be. My other thought is to just loop back to the house, kick off the shoes into my yard or on the porch, and head back out for a bit more bf. Substitute car for house if your at a park or something.

That is exactly what I do. I run past the house and leave them in the yard and head out barefoot for another lap or two.

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS