How Do They Run Without Sunglasses?

Longboard

Chapter Presidents
May 13, 2010
(bad link)

Does this work?
484604_517561611591166_735627901_n.jpg

Reactions: BFwillie_g
There we go! Yes, works beautifully... Agreed, not sure how they can run without sunglasses (or, even squinting). Every now and again if I'm out and about and forget my sunglasses, I find that I'm a little tired just from squinting in to the sun...it takes a surprising amount of energy...

Reactions: happysongbird
You've never heard of bare-eyed running?
I'm an early morning runner, so I've never had to even think about sunglasses - are they not annoying to run in?

For us glasses wearers running bare [eyed] might be a problem. Since I wear glasses pretty much 100% of my waking hours I am pretty used to them. So no its not annoying to run in sunglasses. For those that don't, IDK. Only difference for me is on my shades I put chums on them to keep em secure to my head.

It almost hurts my eyes to look at that pic...

Like T-OH, I'm in glasses about 100% of the time. I find that I wear sun glasses at my peril when I'm running trails, though. If I'm in the shade I can't see my footing well enough to run safely. I would rather go out in clear lenses and squint a bit in the bright stretches than find myself worried about tripping in the dark.

The only time I run without glasses is in the rain. It's like a leap of faith when I start out, but my body and eyes soon reach an accord and it feels just fine.

Looking at the picture above I'm more shocked when I see the folically challenged guy running without any sort of cover. No! Wait! That's LB!

Reactions: happysongbird
Everyone looks like they're in pain, except one.

Is it because he's barefoot or wearing sunglasses?

Or both?

I'm with you... How can anyone run w/o sunglasses in the daylight?

Looking at the picture above I'm more shocked when I see the folically challenged guy running without any sort of cover.

The only time I'm ever out in the sun without a hat is during the run, and I only run 30 minutes or less. At a race I either hand my hat to my wife, a friend, a bystander, or just hang it on a fence or other post just a few minutes before the race. Sometimes I get a bit concerned after the finish at a large race when it can take a while to find my hat caddy!
I can't imagine sunscreen on my head sweating into my eyes, under those very light weight progressive sun readers are my toric contacts, I'd be blind as anything if those failed due to the irritation.
That photo above is from Saturday's race, and for the first time I handed my hat to a protege'!
She is scheduled to run her first race....a 5K....Sept. 8.
When I was rehabing my neck by walking only, I ran into her a mile and a half from my house. She had neither run nor engaged in any cardio exercise for decades because of knee pain, and had never been outside her house barefoot. We walked an additional 5 miles together, and she tried 30 seconds barefoot.
That was the last week of March, and as she expanded her barefoot walking and started thinking about a 5K WALK barefoot, I encouraged her to try adding a bit of running.
She's up to 2.8 barefoot miles now, at around 10MM, and she only ran her first steps in early July!
She took the photo, and was far enough away from the finish that I began to worry about scalp burn.
Also the popsicle I was saving for her from the finish line snacks began to melt!
Here she is:
295979_517560464924614_726680178_n.jpg

And Oh Yeah......I made the news as well!

http://photos.mlive.com/flint-journal/2012/08/2012_crim_festival_of_races.html?fb_action_ids=10150998783293204&fb_action_types=og.recommends&fb_source=timeline_og&action_object_map={"10150998783293204":10150869550837614}&action_type_map={"10150998783293204":"og.recommends"}&action_ref_map=[]

I wear sunglasses for all daylight runs (prescription. I'm blind without my glasses). I have the schmancy photochromic (or whatever the word is) ones that lighten/darken with conditions so they're good for most conditions outside of super cloudy or raining.

There we go! Yes, works beautifully... Agreed, not sure how they can run without sunglasses (or, even squinting). Every now and again if I'm out and about and forget my sunglasses, I find that I'm a little tired just from squinting in to the sun...it takes a surprising amount of energy...

This is what the large sunglass manufactures want. First, you buy sunglasses to shade your eyes and then your eyes become more sensitive to the sun so you need to buy stronger sunglasses. It's a vicious cycle. The large sunglass manufactures are involved in a conspiracy to sell more sunglasses. :cool:

Reactions: migangelo
I don't wear sunglasses because I only have regular glasses. I never have problems. Must be because I don't have them in a cast(sunglasses) so they haven't atrophied. :)

I used to wear sunglasses on all my runs. It started becoming a problem when I started running even earlier in the morning and it was too dark for sunglasses but was too bright without them toward the end of the run. I also started getting annoyed of having to wipe sweat off my forehead and having to remove the sunglasses every time. I only wear sunglasses now when I am biking to keep dust, dirt, and wind out of my eyes.

I do not think I could go without my shades. I guess it all started in my teens as I did a lot of fly-fishing. Also did a lot of cross country skiing as well, between the two if I forgot my shades while I was out I would pay the price with one heck of a headache.

I don't wear sunglasses because I only have regular glasses. I never have problems. Must be because I don't have them in a cast(sunglasses) so they haven't atrophied. :)

It's fun to joke about analogies to BFR, but seriously, cataract formation can be slowed down by regular use of sunglasses. Unlike sunscreen, they can be put on as well as taken off, and instead of a safety item that ups your dork factor to the non-like minded (as in cycling helmets), most people think shades increase your coolness units.
You'll never catch LB in Oakleys though! That is as long as you don't dig up the old 80's/90's pics. O.K., early 2000's as well.

Reactions: Bare Lee