How can I start to love running again?

Andy Tomlin

Barefooters
Oct 15, 2011
Newmarket, UK
Chaps & Chapettes,

During the second half of last year; when I first started running, and then minimal/BF running, I really enjoyed running for the most part. Yes, I had some runs which felt a bit tortuous and I was getting the kms in just because they were on my training plan, but I also had a number of great runs where I felt amazing and only stopped because I found myself back outside my front door.

Due to a number of injuries this year (badly burnt soles, some BF blisters, Achilles tendinitis and several torn ligaments) I've not run anything beyond about 8km and it's always felt like a bit of a slog and I've always been terrified of feeling that first twinge of a returning injury.

So my question is; what can I do to make sure I enjoy each run and get back to running 20km+ without an issue?

Take your time building up your mileage.

After running shod for 20+ years including marathons, it took me 1 year to build up to 4 miles barefoot and I still got blisters for the first 6 months until I got the proper form. After 2+ years, I'm only up to 8 miles. When I started the barefoot transition, I wanted to do it right and not get injured. If you do it right, you'll enjoy running and you may notice the distance isn't as important anymore.

Reactions: Bare Lee and rik
Find the most beautiful place that you can and walk instead. Walk for many days and weeks, before running again. Let your tears heal completely. Then you will be stronger in more ways than one when you do begin to run again. Good luck, Andy. I wish you all the best in finding that "love" again.

Reactions: rik
Take your time building up your mileage.

After running shod for 20+ years including marathons, it took me 1 year to build up to 4 miles barefoot and I still got blisters for the first 6 months until I got the proper form. After 2+ years, I'm only up to 8 miles. When I started the barefoot transition, I wanted to do it right and not get injured. If you do it right, you'll enjoy running and you may notice the distance isn't as important anymore.

Wow and I thought I was the slowest transitioning person ever... took me 5-6 months to get to 5k (but progression jumped alot after that, up to 9mi now @9 mos). Not a bad thing at all mind you. Just glad I'm not the only slow one!

Andy sounds like you just need to heal and then get to the root cause of the injuries.

Andy, do you ever use visualization? I do it often. I think back to the best running day I ever had and really key in on the emotions/sensations of that day. Though i'm not running barefoot these days due to my own injuries, I have found the same level of joy by recalling the absolute love of running I held in those memories.

Sure, it's a bit touchy-feely, but it has helped me through some frustrating days as I returned to running. Good luck whatever you do

As for fear of reinjury, I always have that fear of re-tweaking an achilles, or feeling a ping in one of my knees. For me, that goes away after having some successful runs.

I think your larger issue is that now you're feeling that running is a "bit of a slog" (I so love that phrase). Could it be that you're bored with running right now? I've been running for almost 24 years, but not consistently. I've had entire years where I barely ran - I just wasn't 'on' during those times. Maybe that's the case with you; this is just one of your 'off' periods.

We tend to treat these things rather regimentally: "I am a runner. I run xx miles xx times per week, every week, without fail, regardless of weather, temperature, night time or any other condition. I only stop running if I'm injured so badly that I am at the point of being crippled. Anything less than that would make me less of a runner. So it is written, so it shall be done." Know that is not the case - you can take time off (a lot of it, in my case) and still be a runner. You can try other stuff - hiking, bicycling, whatever - and know that someday, you'll get back to running. True, you'll have to rebuild miles, but you'll enjoy it.

Just something to chew on...

Wow and I thought I was the slowest transitioning person ever... took me 5-6 months to get to 5k (but progression jumped alot after that, up to 9mi now @9 mos). Not a bad thing at all mind you. Just glad I'm not the only slow one!
Andy sounds like you just need to heal and then get to the root cause of the injuries.

I wonder if transition time from shod to bf has any correlation to how long someone has run in shoes? I ran for 22 years in snug-fitting running shoes and wore my old running shoes all the other times I wasn't running. My feet took on the shape of the insoles. My toes were all pushed together (not as bad as Chinese foot binding though ( http://library.thinkquest.org/J0111742/footbinding.htm ) Any thoughts on this?

@Mike R
For sure... but not just how long someone has run in shoes but just 'lived' in shoes, and the form they were using. I might not thave run more than a couple hundred miles through all my 20's but I always had shoes or boots on. And I think its entirely possible to have good form with shoes. Just look at elite and ultra runners. IMO if they can run those distances without having pain or chronic foot problems then they must be using good form, or at least 'good-enough'. Me on the other hand, not so much. I think I was a bad heal slammer and barely used my calves at all. My calves are pretty small and never had much any tone to them. After running bf my calves were getting the workout of thier life. It wasnt much distance, like maybe a mile, and my calves were toast. It took a long time, but the 10% thing was about spot on for me. Then there are some who's calves are just fine switching to bf. So besides just wearing shoes I think your prior form/gait has a lot to do with it.

Chaps & Chapettes,
Due to a number of injuries this year (badly burnt soles, some BF blisters, Achilles tendinitis and several torn ligaments) I've not run anything beyond about 8km and it's always felt like a bit of a slog and I've always been terrified of feeling that first twinge of a returning injury.

I have no advice, only commiseration. I've been in the same situation. To go from relatively high mileage I was doing to hoping for a decent six mile run once or twice a week has been super tough on the psyche. Mine has nothing to do with transitioning. I was fully transitioned when it started happening. I've had to pretty much quit running because I just keep getting injured. I spend a good amount of time at the gym but it isn't quite the same. I will say if you look through old running forums all over the place it seems like lots of people hit a year or so of just complete disaster when they've been running fine before, and then they always at some point get over it and can get back to running. I keep this in mind whenever I'm particularily bothered by my lack of running. Heres hoping its both of our time soon.

Answer = get rid of MILEAGE goals. On days when you feel really good run a long time and on days when you don't feel good, don't run at all. Run because you love it. Your mileage WILL increase, anyway, just per your body's guidelines and not your mind's. :)

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test