Hot spots

Josh16

Barefooters
Jul 2, 2014
Val-d'Or, Quebec, Canada
Hi everyone,
Here I am, asking for help again.

So, yesterday I went for a barefoot run. I normally get those hot spots on the ball of the foot between the middle and fourth toe (big toe being toe number one). The spot is on the ball of the foot closest to the toes. I never worried too much about it as it would go away within a day or two between runs. Yesterday, I did a longer run then usual. Like 3.5 km longer than usual (AKA a little bit more than two miles extra). I got the usual hot spot on my left foot but got a blister on my right foot.

So, I'm wondering what you all think is causing this. Is it a form issue or a case of TMTS?

Thanks a lot!

Josh

Reactions: KTR
What do you mean by hot spot?
Photo?

http://www.merriam-webster.com/medical/hot spot

Medical Definition of HOT SPOT
1: a patch of painful moist inflamed skin on a domestic animal and especially a dog that starts as a response to a skin irritant (as an allergen or an insect or tick bite), that is rapidly worsened by scratching, chewing, or licking the affected area, and that may become seriously infected if not promptly cleaned and medicated
2: a site in genetic material (as DNA or a chromosome) having a high frequency of mutation or recombination

I'm not sure how I would describe it, really. It seems to be a spot that sustains a considerable amount of abrasion and as such, after the run, a "hot" burning sensation persists. It is not visible on my left foot as no blister developed. There is very little to show on the right foot other than a small "reddish" blister (not to be confused with a blood blister).

I hope this helps.

I sometimes get abrasions when sprinting, but not during a regular run.
Some of us talked about various maladies on this thread. Does any of it look familiar?
http://www.thebarefootrunners.org/threads/18269/

Blister?

http://www.merriam-webster.com/medical/blister
Medical Definition of BLISTER
1: a fluid-filled elevation of the epidermis

It isn't like the sores in the thread. It isn't bruises either. When I don't get a blister, there isn't much to see. Maybe the skin is just too "raw" in that particular spot and it hasn't fully developed an appropriate layer of skin for protection.

Basically, it there is abrasion on that spot that happens during the propel part of the running motion. (land, propel, lift) As such, it appears this part of my foot sustains abrasion in the course of standard running/walking. This is where my weight goes during the extension of the foot prior to lifting it.

Looking at the pictures in the thread, I can't help but wonder if it's because my foot lifts too diagonally during the motion. During my motion, the weight does not travel towards the big toe but rather towards the middle toe. Do you think this might be part of the issue?

The blister I'm describing definitely fits the medical definition.

Let me know if you want additional details.

Reactions: Sid
Reactions: Sid
OK, turns out it is quite visible now and not quite like a standard whiteish blister. So, I've brought pictures this time! Also, it is actually directly under the middle toe.

http://i.imgur.com/bWuHfxt.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/MBNbqK6.jpg?1

MBNbqK6.jpg

bWuHfxt.jpg

Thoughts?

During my motion, the weight does not travel towards the big toe but rather towards the middle toe. Do you think this might be part of the issue?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Here you have said it.

Definitely an indication you are putting too much pressure under your second and third toe instead on the big toe. It is a form issue, big toes should be engaged, they are designed to take the load.

GOOD ------------------------------ BAD
Foot_pressure_good.png ---------------- Foot_pressure_bad.png

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Here you have said it.

Definitely an indication you are putting too much pressure under your second and third toe instead on the big toe. It is a form issue, big toes should be engaged, they are designed to take the load.

GOOD ------------------------------ BAD
View attachment 5935 ---------------- View attachment 5934
Darn! That means it won't be easy to correct the issue. I'll have to spend a lot of time walking to get it right, I guess. Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

sorry I hope I have understood everything. we can not really say I'm bilingual and I depend much Google ;)

to me it looks like a normal warm-up, it feels like the beginning that we practice.
let rest between two outputs seems to be good practice.
pour moi, ça ressemble a un échauffement normal, que l'on ressent au début que l'on pratique.
laisser du repos entre deux sorties me semble être la bonne pratique.

the right questions at the beginning: the day when I have to run between the first 5 minutes and one hour of waking, do I still hurt? yes it is and we see the next day ... we can run
les bonnes questions au début : le jour où je dois courir entre les 5 premières minutes et l'heure qui suit mon réveil, ais-je encore mal ? oui : on reste et on voit le lendemain...on peut courir
between two outputs: no more 10% + of the time that we ran last time (do not see in km)
entre deux sorties : jamais plus de 10% en + du temps que l'on a couru la fois précédente (ne pas voir en km)

be patient! starting in about 5 minutes the first exit. Finally, we arrive, with 10% vesting, fast enough to make an exit half an hour
soit patient ! en débutant sur 5 minutes la première sortie. Finalement, on arrive ,avec 10% dévolution, assez rapidement à faire une sortie d'une demie heure
here is a book in French very well for beginners. if you do not understand the French... it's not important : I put it for see the evolution time between the two outputs.
I never had trouble with this transition method. http://www.courirpiedsnus.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/guidedepoche.jpg
voici un livret en Français très bien fait pour débuter. si tu ne comprends pas le français pas grave je te le mets pour les temps d'évolution entre deux sorties.
Pour ma part jamais eu de soucis de transition avec cette méthode.

Good luck and don't worry. If you are going : cool, I do not think you risk hurting you. But the pain, on the beginning is normal. Your body rediscovers a whole universe
bonne chance et ne te prends pas trop la tête. Si tu y va cool, je ne pense pas que tu risques de te blesser. Mais des douleurs, sur le début, sont normal. Ton corps redécouvre tout un univers

French text so that any corrections can be made
texte français afin que des corrections éventuelles puissent être apportée

Reactions: KTR and DNEchris