Hospital/medical facilities?

PatrickGSR94

Barefooters
Dec 9, 2011
Hey all, long time no post!

Yesterday I had to go in for a heart echo test. I had to go to the same building as my cardiologist, but to a different floor/suite. I visited my cardiologist a few weeks ago, barefoot, and had no problems at all. The doc didn't even seem to care at all. He even checked my pulse from my ankle (among other places) and didn't even ask about me being barefoot.

So yesterday I go in this other office for the echo test, again barefoot. Just before calling me back, a nurse came out and said I had to have something on my feet, and had a package with some of those "therapeutic" socks or whatever they're called, hospital issue, with the rubber grip thingies on the bottom. She said there were germs, it's policy, blah blah blah. I said "germs? It's not like I put my feet in my mouth or touch anyone with them" but she wasn't having it. I couldn't exactly skip my test or go somewhere else, so I went out to my car and grabbed my flops.

This same thing happened back in December when I made an ER visit at the local hospital for slicing off the end of my thumb :eek: (don't worry it's all better now :D ). My father-in-law drove me to the ER and I just ran out of the house with what I had on - sweat pants and t-shirt, no shoes. After getting me taped up in triage and taking me to the sub-wait room before I went to a hospital room, a nurse gave me the same socks, told me the same nonsense about germs, blah blah. I grudgingly put them on since I had nothing else, and felt more embarrassed about them than just being barefoot. When I finally got out of there I tossed the socks into the trash before getting out the door.

I can't even remember the last time I had a problem in a store. A waiter at a restaurant a few months back said something to us shortly after being seated, so we got up and went across the street where we had no problems. I've also taken my son to his pediatrician office with no shoes and they've never said anything.

Anyone else ever had similar issues with medical facilities?

It would seem quite likely that the hospital requires footwear for the same reason that they do anything nowadays, because the lawyers made them do it.

No. Its not lawyers "making" anyone do it. Its FEAR of lawsuits. I think we should come up with a wallet card that says... "I chose to come to this facility barefoot. I hold harmless the owner, operator, manager and all staff within from any harm that should arise due to my lack of footwear." - Any barefoot lawyers on here that can help with the wording?

To the Original Poster. Congrats on going so far barefoot. So far I have only walked around town and gone into the Karate building barefoot. I'll have to stretch my horizons.