Hope it's not a stress fracture!

PatrickGSR94

Barefooters
Dec 9, 2011
Back about 9 months ago I posted about getting a thorn stuck in the outer edge of my right foot, right under that bony protrusion halfway down the length of the foot's outer edge:

http://www.thebarefootrunners.org/threads/stuck-by-a-thorn-swelling.6091/

That healed up quickly and haven't had any trouble since. Now as of yesterday I'm getting some pain in that same area, mainly when walking. This just started while I was out grocery shopping yesterday. I don't feel any pain anywhere if I try to apply pressure with my hands in various places on the foot. But when standing on it, and specifically when taking the weight OFF my foot (as the foot comes up when walking, for instance), I'm getting some pretty bad pain in that same area of the foot, near that bony protrusion. Could it be some kind of stress fracture?

I haven't run in the past several days - not since last Friday actually, and I haven't been on the bike since Monday, so I'm not sure why this would have happened all of a sudden. I did not step on anything; there is no evidence of any kind of puncture, open wound or anything like that. What do the docs think?

That is a tough call without examining it. Possibilities include stress fracture. Bony fixation behind the area of pAin which a good sports chiropractor can diagnose And problems in the pelvis that can tighten the it band and slam your foot into the ground when running. Best to have it looked At professionally

So a chiropractic Dr is who you would recommend? I was wondering what type of Dr would be best to look at it. I'm guessing an Xray may be necessary.

Yesterday it was more of a dull pain but today at times I can feel more sharp pains in the area when walking, mainly when the heel lifts off the ground, and then when the entire foot comes up off the ground.

One odd thing I noticed is that when I'm off my feet for 1-2 hours, such as a long car ride or watching a movie or something, and then get up and start walking, I don't feel any pain at first. After walking a couple hundred feet, though, the pain will start to come back again.

Possibly but with a stress fx an MRI or bone scan is usually more informative. Most docs will do an x ray first because it is more practical and cost effective. If an injury is a week or two old an x ray will show mire because of schkerisis, or the healing effect will show up. Fresh stress fractures rue often difficult to spot on x ray but they can be diagnosed that way