Holy poop, I got a job!

Man, so this is that adrenaline thing?
lol, I've been searching for a job for over a year with no luck (even McDicks :/)
Unfortunately an 18 y/o with no experience or training, hasn't even finished HS when there are very few jobs in the first place, with so many more qualified people looking for jobs...it's been tough.
Full time until the end of the summer, $13/hr, not bad for a first job me thinks :D

quick question though, the job is in demolition and involves having to wear these frickin huge work boots with ridiculous rigidity, I wont be able to probably won't even be able move my ankle much as it goes up like half way up the shins. I'm not upset by this, I mean I want to protect my feet and all, but is it somehow going to interfere with my barefoot running or like slow down the strengthening my feet? or worse, hurt my feet?
(It's going to be weird, I wore shoes for the first time in months* the other day for the interview, it felt REAALLLY weird :p)

*wore loose sandals sometimes, that's it.

Anyways, just wanted to vent some excitement, it's my first job so I'm pretty pumped :D

I would venture a guess that you should be fine as long as you still try to go barefoot or as minimal as possible outside of work. It may slow you down in your transition but really, you should still be able to train and run barefoot. I know several people who have to wear very stiff and supportive boots and then run barefoot/minimalist when not at work and do just fine. I think Rick wears boots during the day if I remember correctly and maybe Tristan too. They could probably be invaluable resources for you on this topic.

I thought my old boots were bulky and heavy... check out the new ones!

IMG_0794_500.jpg

The new ones got it all. Forestry boots built to stop a chainsaw. Steel toe, steel plate, metatarsal guard, kevlar... Old ones were only steel toe.

But I dont know if I can be of much assistance here, I'm not an expert bfr (just shy of 1 yr) and I also dont wear boots to work. Rick mentions he works on his farm but dont know if he wears boots or not. I just cut firewood to heat my home, and occasionally need a pair for work when we are in the powerplants and the company pays so I went all out with chainsaw safety boots this time. I actually havent used them much though as this year I have only made a few trips to the families farm. I'm usually done cutting wood by the start of summer but I still need probably 3 more weekends worth of cutting to get just enough for this year let alone get ahead for next year. I'll be wearing boots a lot during the fall during deer season but my hunting boots are much lighter and less heavy duty than my work boots.

As a weekend warrior I dont think boots are that big of a deal. But 5 days a week I'm not sure. One would think its got to affect you at least a little.

I need to wear shoes to work when I'm on client's sites. Soemtimes I can get away with reasonably minimal shoes, but the worst for me are actually my office shoes due to the heel raise. I wore them for two days last week my ankles and shins felt it, they're also getting too narrow for me these days.

My safety boots are not much of a problem (used for refineries, offshore, other heavy plant situations) as they don't have much of a drop. I do need to get some lighter, kevlar ones next time though.

And well doen on the job:)

@ElyDave My office shoes bothered me as well, but since switching to minimalist - the Vivobarefoot Ra's in black, its a joy to wear shoes to the office. I also switched from regular dress socks that despite how thin they were always made my feet sweat, to Injinji wool liner toe socks in black. The toe socks stop the in between the toe sweat and the wool just handles perspiration a lot better I think. They are both pretty expensive though. :mad:

Charles, I wouldn't worry about it too much. You probably need a job more than worrying about what might effect your running form a little. And maybe with some experience under your belt you can move on later to other jobs, maybe ones you dont have to wear the heavy boots all the time. Good luck with the new gig!

thanks Tristan, I've already sold one pair of shoes and I'm thinking about the same with a few more.

I'm reluctant with my dressshoes though as I bought a very good pair which I still like. I'm half toying with the idea of taking them to a cobblers and having the heel stack height reduced.

You're right about those Ra's though, they are very expensive.

Congratulations. My son (also 18) managed to get a Summer job this year and it has really changed him for the better - it's an amazing self-image and confidence changer. Do it as well as you can - the day when you think your attitude doesn't count might be the day that it counts most. But it sure sounds like you are going in with a great one.

Consider treating your boots like those winged-messenger sandals - lace them up securely around the calf to hold them on, but buy them big enough that your feet aren't cramped. And if you have a choice, buy them with as low a heel as possible.

Man, so this is that adrenaline thing?
lol, I've been searching for a job for over a year with no luck (even McDicks :/)
Unfortunately an 18 y/o with no experience or training, hasn't even finished HS when there are very few jobs in the first place, with so many more qualified people looking for jobs...it's been tough.
Full time until the end of the summer, $13/hr, not bad for a first job me thinks :D

quick question though, the job is in demolition and involves having to wear these frickin huge work boots with ridiculous rigidity, I wont be able to probably won't even be able move my ankle much as it goes up like half way up the shins. I'm not upset by this, I mean I want to protect my feet and all, but is it somehow going to interfere with my barefoot running or like slow down the strengthening my feet? or worse, hurt my feet?
(It's going to be weird, I wore shoes for the first time in months* the other day for the interview, it felt REAALLLY weird :p)

*wore loose sandals sometimes, that's it.

Anyways, just wanted to vent some excitement, it's my first job so I'm pretty pumped :D

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test

Latest posts