Hi from the uk

Emmyjo

Barefooters
Apr 17, 2018
Cheshire
I am not a runner, I never have been but I’ve decided to give the C25K programme a try.
I’ve decided that I’m going to do it wearing vff’s ( don’t be cross, I’m not brave enough to be truly barefoot ) but now my husbands work friends are saying that “barefoot is for fast sprinters only and she’ll get injured”
Please reassure me I’m doing the right thing

Em x

Welcome, and you're doing it right!

The key to avoid injury is to respect any pain or discomfort. Never ever try to fight through pain or discomfort. When you go minimalist and barefoot you don't have cushioning or support masking harsh impact and will feel it if you're running in a way that will eventually cause injury. Really listen to that and if your feet start to hurt just back off.

Here's something I wrote up for beginners: https://www.reddit.com/r/BarefootRunning/comments/71thej/how_to_run/?st=j9oawiy3&sh=5b377051

I truly believe learning to run at a slow, controlled, efficient pace is a new skill for many people that must be practiced and learned. Everybody knows how to walk and sprint but it's those speeds in-between that get ya.

As for going unshod I'll say this: it can be nearly impossible to do too much too soon if you go barefoot. You will feel it instantly if you're doing something wrong. Same recommendation here: heed those feelings of discomfort. Your feet will never toughen to superhuman levels and they won't get de-sensitized. It's a very good thing that they're sensitive and will remain so. That sensitivity in your bare feet is the best running form coach you will ever have.

Those of us running unshod don't do it because we're tough. I do it because I'm uncoordinated and need as much bio feedback as possible to avoid muscle and joint injury. I've come to trust my bare feet to do that where shoes never did.

Reactions: Tedlet and Emmyjo
Hi Emmyjo -welcome!
Ditto what T1138 said..

I'd also add that actually you're probably at an advantage to many people -if you've not been a runner before then you will have far fewer bad habits ingrained that you need to try to undo. You are starting with a clean sheet of paper!
Take it really, really steady, listen to your body, relax (and if/when you feel brave enough just try a short walk without the VFFs & see if you notice the difference).
Above all though just enjoy!
Looking forward to hearing how you get on -keep us posted...:barefoot:

Welcome! Glad you've joined us. You'll find much support here without the backlash...even if you don't try barefooting. :barefoot:

hi emmy! disregard what your hubby's work friends say. anyone who runs, no matter the speed, is a runner and going barefoot or minimalist isn't for fast sprinters but for people who enjoy feeling the ground with their feet without the cushioning of modern shoes. modern shoes with cushion have probably only been around for 50 years or so. I wonder what people did before then?! take a guess: they went barefoot!

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test

Latest posts