Hi from Northern Alberta

RandyY

Barefooters
Apr 11, 2012
Grande Prairie, Alberta
I figured I could finally post, now that I have started running again. I started running barefoot last fall, but due to an injury, had to stop for the fall, then once I healed, it was already into October, and snow was not my preferred running surface! This spring I started again, but had to stop again...TMTS..again! I am learning though, and am taking it much slower. I have also stopped jumping up on curbs while in full stride...I don't think that helped my feet before. The only issue I have currently, is burning a hole in my second and third toes on both feet. I am doing better, watching how my foot lands, so I'm hoping my technique is improving as well. Anyway, I'm enjoying the site, more from the sidelines than as a participant, but hopefully that part will improve as well
Randy

Reactions: Sid
Hello and welcome, fellow Randy! Your delayed starting story sounds similar to mine, except I started the year before. I would think jumping on curbs would be okay as long as you don't overreach--land with your feet below your center of mass. My 2nd and 3rd toes also were fairly raw for a while too, but have little callouses now on the tips. You may find that lifting them slightly as each foot lands helps.

Welcome, Randy!

Welcome northerner! One possible suggestion, instead of focusing on how your foot lands you might try focusing on the 'foot lift', being carefull to not 'push off' especially with your toes. Focus on lifting gently and let your other foot come down on its own. Jason here has a drill in his book you can practice standing in place even - hold one foot a little off the ground and then lift the other one up. The first one is going to ofcourse come down but dont think about it, only lifting the other foot gently. Good luck!

Reactions: DNEchris
Thanks to all. I am starting slower, and letting my feet recover in between runs. The soles of my feet are holding up, I must have learned something from my previous attempts! The bike paths I run on are not very smooth, which means I really have to pay attention to my steps, but I feel like my run is getting smoother, so, as long as I don't do something stupid (again! :) I'm hoping I can continue to advance!

Good to have you out of the shadows. There is a wealth of knowledge here. In the end, listen to your body. This may sound simple, but barefoot throws so much feedback at you that exuberance gets the best of most of us. Man, you are up North. Snow will be coming soon. Join our Winter Challenge. It starts Oct 1st. I'll be posting details on the weekend.

PS: I'm in Ottawa

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test