Hi from Newbie, any advice please!

Pigwig

Barefooters
Aug 17, 2013
Hello. I've been reading some of the posts and messages an you seem a friendly bunch - if argumentative at times, ha ha! Anyway, I wanted to say hello from the UK and if anyone feels compelled to answer with any advice, well that would be gratefully received!
I've been running since April using C25K, taken part in 1 5k race for charity, and one Parkrun. Soon after buying a spanking pair of trainers, I discovered BFR (think it was due to reading Born to Run - same as everyone else it would seem!) so, my clunkers are now gathering dust whilst I get to grips with all this. I have to say, up front and hope this doesn't get me kicked out, but I don't run strictly BF. I wear Xero's (having read some of the other posts I know most of you will say this isn't BF but somehow sandals seems too minimal to say, well, minimal running!)
I've discovered, since being BF style that it is easier on my breathing. I don't have any breathing issues like asthma but I think that running in shoes meant I took too big strides and just couldn't keep up. Also I do have problems with hips, had 2 ops for hip impingement and chronic muscle wastage due to using crutches too long - this is being corrected and improved upon every day. Ironically, running helps and is pain free unless I do something wrong! However, I have noticed that BF style suits me better as it's much softer, and again, shorter strides.

A couple of points I'd love some advice on...
I've tried and tried to follow "proper running form" as per loads of different teachers such as Chris McD, Eric Orton, Michael Sandler, POSE, Chi etc etc, and I've watched loads of YouTube. I just can't "get it"! How do I "not push off with feet"?, lifting knees high (like 100 ups) seems an impossible feat (maybe I'm just too impatient as , I know this would take a long time to master, is it worth it?), some say land flat foot/mid foot/forefoot - which is best?
Then I read a very long post where lots of people had differing opinions on whether to actually follow a so-called training plan, or to run naturally? When I look in shop windows, I can see my form is bent at the waist even though I try really, really hard not to. I usually think I'm running upright so it's quite a surprise when I see I'm not! Someone suggested (sorry, I don't remember the name) to concentrate on the top half of body and let legs/feet take care of themselves.
My next point is not based just on BF, but running in general. Does anyone else have runs where their body doesn't seem to want to go? The other day I ran 6km (in thin soled shoes as Xero's hadn't arrived), and it was a lovely ride! Then yesterday I went out and had to keep stopping. I only stopped for a few seconds but the first time was at 3.1km - not even my usual 5k. The rest of the 6k run, I needed to periodically walk for 10-15 seconds and I can't understand why! It wasn't even because of my feet, it was more a general feeling of tiredness.
Race events: especially Parkruns. Do you manage to keep up? I've never managed a 5km in less than 40 mins in SHOES, and now I'm taking nearly an hour - surely everyone would have gone home! Is it best to wait until I have mastered whatever technique I need, and then built up a bit of speed?
My aim is to run for distance rather than shorter, fast distances but I'd still like to finish in the middle of the pack, or even last is ok as long as it's by seconds/minute not hours!
Anyone here run in Xero's? I love them and wanted others' feedback
I'm from Farnham, Surrey, UK if anyone else is remotely near there.
Feel free to chip in with anything else. Please be kind though!!
Look forward to hearing from you.

Reactions: Bare Lee
Howdy.

I also use Xeros when I feel conditions or condition of my feet warrant their use. I don't know if you've ever yet tried any running barefoot, but from personal observation I feel there is a huge difference between how much feedback you get. That 4 mm of rubber of the Xero Connect really does take away a lot of the feel for the ground that bare soles can have. So for that reason I've settled into trying to run as much as possible barefoot, because I think like other much more experienced barefooters have said, is that simply the best teacher for learning to run barefoot is to run barefoot, and I feel that doing so is doing a lot to help me run with good form when I use the Xeros.

I think maybe a big thing with not pushing off is the idea of feeling the spring. That may be a matter of cadence, or how fast you're taking your strides. It is generally felt that barefooters ought to be able to achieve 180 steps per minute, and it's hard to describe except to say that as I've been learning, I find there's a point where if you move your feet quickly and lightly, there is almost a springing sensation and there isn't a feeling like you have to push off from the ground at all. Early on as you learn to up your cadence and feel the spring, you might only be able to make the spring go for short distances, but over time, the springs can get better and able to go longer.

As for that run of yesterday, it just may have been because you're fatigued and tired. Probably nearly everyone here can tell a story of a time they went out for a run, and ended up walking good chunks of it. It happens. Rest your legs up a bit and then get back to it.

Edit to add: I also forgot that one thing that I think is a real good idea if someone has the tolerance for it, is to put in some time with just walking barefoot a lot early on. I used a period of around 6 or 7 weeks where I mostly just walked barefoot and it did a lot to help start building up the soles of my feet, as well as the initial strength in the muscles, bones, tendons and ligaments.

Do you ever run barefoot? Have you ever tried to run barefoot? Can you try to run barefoot, skin on ground, for a half mile...just to see if anything about the way you feel changes? There is a definite difference between barefoot running and minimalist running. You will only know what that difference is when you try it yourself.

I'm in the group that believes you should first listen to your feet and your body, not some book or video. Once you've done this awhile, truly barefoot, then research the books and videos. Don't get so bogged down in the technical details of what the books and videos tell you. Find "your" form first, then critique it after that and only if you need to. Oh, and forget the 100 ups for now.

Welcome!

As someone who rarely runs without sandals on ( I think of myself as a minimal runner, not bf most of the time unless there is some sweet pavement to be had), I would say to anyone going from typical "running shoes" to a minimal style........................................

Save yourself the trouble of learning form. Run completely skin to ground as much as possible. So the first few months at least, no minimal shoes, of any kind, just your feet and the ground, come what may.
Keep distances absurdly short in the beginning. Skip days in between runs.
Try different surface types, and different elevation changes. Experiment. DON'T try to get your exercise from running. Do something else while you learn to run differently.

Again, I am no purist. I run in sandals (almost always) on country road pavement or rough (to me) trails. But my form was so different barefoot, and so forced and artificial in minimal shoes at first, that skin to ground was the only way to teach my body to do the right thing. I had to go out of my way to find places to run, short distances, times outside of my regular workouts. It was worth doing, though. There is no substitute for trying to force a certain running gait you think you are mastering, as opposed to using the feedback from your feet. Its not so dangerous. It's fun. It's free coaching. It's worth doing. It will keep you less likely to injure yourself (your skin will tire from too much mileage too soon way before your feet will realize they need a break)

Welcome Pigwig. I'm no expert, but here are some of my thoughts.

On the form thing and being bent over - I don't know much about form, but I do know that sometimes when I feel like I'm hunched or plodding, I try to feel like I'm pushing my hips forward a little (not in a pelvic thrusting kind of way, mind you) and keeping my shoulders centred above them. That tends to lead to my knees being a little more springy, and everything feels faster and better. I have no idea if that's good or not, but it works for me. People who actually know about this stuff might have better answers.

As for 'flat' runs when you don't want to go, yes, I have them sometimes. I try to be aware of what happened the previous evening and look for a pattern. It's usually lack of sleep for me, but I guess it would always be one of sleep, nutrition or fatigue. Not something to worry about, I wouldn't think, as long as you have good days to balance them out.

Race events - I run a similar pace barefoot and shod as long as it's not on gravel - once you get things down pat it tends to even out, I think. Or at least it does for me - I'm not fast by any stretch.

Thanks for all the advice. I've been dying to get out there and 'just do it', rely on my own body to tell me what's what. Sadly, I've had a migraine for 2 days and I can't bear the thought of pounding the pavement until that goes away. I guess sometimes enforced rest days happen! Hopefully I'll report back with a better result next time!

Don't think pounding! Think dancing! The most helpful bit of advice I have had so far was to up my cadence to around 180 steps/minute, which is almost guaranteed to keep you light on your feet. (But still wait for the migraine to subside - poor you.)

Reactions: DNEchris
Thanks for all the advice. I've been dying to get out there and 'just do it', rely on my own body to tell me what's what. Sadly, I've had a migraine for 2 days and I can't bear the thought of pounding the pavement until that goes away. I guess sometimes enforced rest days happen! Hopefully I'll report back with a better result next time!

As a fellow migraine sufferer (though infrequently), I can say that this type of pain is utterly unique and awful to me.
That said, I've been able to with headaches and not make them worse because there is so little bounce involved in barefoot running. But a migraine makes me not want to move, not even one molecule.

100 ups are an exercise to strengthen your legs. it is not a way to run. lift your feet, not your knees. i thought about this yesterday as i've read to "drive" the knees. it just made me work more so i allowed my legs to just recoil. work on strength and go slow when you run. go bf and you will figure out your form. it won't happen right away, unless you're a child, so be patient and have fun. when it's not fun, stop.

Reactions: DNEchris