Hey there SD barefooters!

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by etreas, Jun 4, 2015.

1. etreas

etreas Chapter Presidents
    1. California...
    2. Presidents

I’d like to take a minute to introduce myself as the new president of the San Diego chapter! Many thanks to Barefoot Henry for his hard work growing the SD barefoot community over the past several years. I'll try my hardest to fill his, um ... footprints.

I’ve already met some of you at local events, but would love to get to know more of you. Take a minute to share a bit about yourself - how long have you been barefooting? Where are some of your favorite places to run around our gorgeous city? If you haven’t already, please also add yourself to the Member Map (just click “add location”), and check out our Facebook page.

As for me, I’ve been barefoot for four years, and began running fully barefoot about two years ago, after a stretch of chronic injuries running in shoes. I love running in Balboa park, the Harbor and along the coast of La Jolla.

I’m hoping this group will continue to grow over the coming years, and I’d like to organize more frequent events to help us expand. As a start, I’ve begun offering (free!) barefoot running workshops. The first introductory session was this past Sunday, and it was a great success! The second follow-up workshop will be Sunday, June 14 at 3pm in Balboa Park. You can get more details and rsvp at the Facebook event. I’d love to see you there!

Feel free to post other ideas, suggestions and questions in this forum.

Happy running,
    Emilie

Barefoot TJ and paulbeales like this.
  2. joe4702

joe4702 Barefooters
    1. California...

Greetings.
    I'm not a runner, but I like to hike barefoot.
    There doesn't seem to be many barefoot hikers in San Diego.

etreas and Barefoot TJ like this.
  3. barefoot.henry

barefoot.henry Barefooters
    1. California...
    2. Presidents

I like the challenge of running on trails. Sometimes when the terrain gets really rough I end up hiking anyway. There are lots of options in San Diego, some easy, some not so. I'm interested, so hopefully we can get a group together. My running speed on trails isn't much faster than a walk anyway.

4. etreas

1. California...
    2. Presidents

You're right, Joe - there don't seem to be many barefoot hikers around here. I'm only a casual, occasional hiker, but do love to go barefoot when terrain permits. There must be more out there - would be great to meet others!

joe4702 likes this.
  5. Last Place Jason

Last Place Jason Barefooters
    1. Michigan

Hey all,

I rarely run these days other than for conditioning purposes, but keep me posted on local events. I've been preoccupied with mma training, but injuries may force me back to more running. Or minimally, meeting up for a beer or two to talk about barefoot running theory/form/teaching/etc. ;)

Barefoot TJ and etreas like this.
  6. etreas

1. California...
    2. Presidents

Hey Jason,

We have an upcoming barefoot running workshop next Sunday (see here: http://thebarefootrunners.org/threa...barefoot-running-workshop-san-diego-ca.18399/). We won't actually be doing too much running, but instead focusing more on mechanics/theory, etc, so you're welcome to join even if you haven't been running much. Beer-drinking is another hobby of mine ;) so I'd also be down to grab a beer and chat running sometime!

7. Last Place Jason

Last Place Jason Barefooters
    1. Michigan

Sweet! I'll try to make that work. If not, keep in touch regarding the beer. I like talking about running more than I like actual running. :)

DNEchris and etreas like this.
  8. Vijay

Vijay Barefooters
    1. California...

Hi All,
    I am Vijay. Emilie, I have met you in Balboa Park, during two past international barefoot running days (2013 and 2014). I live in Normal Heights and that is where I do most my running. I have been running barefoot since June 2012. I used to run pretty regularly and was fit enough to run several half marathons a year. However, this was before I had my third and youngest child. Now a days I try to squeeze in a quick run whenever I can. Hope to be able to run more soon. I am excited to run my first (barefoot) full (Rock 'n' Roll) marathon in June 2016. This was an impulsive decision after I ran and chatted (for a minute) with Henry (this time dressed as Elvis) during the Rock 'n' Roll half marathon about a week ago. Hope to see some of you during one of the local events.

9. etreas

1. California...
    2. Presidents

Great to hear from you, Vijay! Did you run the SD Half this March? I thought I saw you from a distance, but it may have been your barefoot running twin.

Good luck with your marathon training! A barefoot full is a long-term goal of mine, so you will certainly be an inspiration :)

10. joe4702

joe4702 Barefooters
    1. California...

A lot of trails around here are not too much more difficult than walking on a beach.
    I haven't been doing much BF hiking lately, but on easier trails I can still do about 45 minutes to an hour before needing to put sandals on.
    (at my peak some years back, I could do 10 miles around the Mt. Laguna Sunset trail area)
    I would think a regular BF runner would have no problem with BF hiking.

Anyone in the area ever want to meet for an easy BF hike, PM me.

Joe

etreas likes this.