Hey Everyone - Brand New Here - Salem, Oregon

IncredibleBulk

Barefooters
Dec 4, 2016
Like the subject line says - brand new, from Salem Oregon.

I have run in the past. I trained for and completed a few races leading up to the the Portland Half Marathon in 2014. A week after Portland I tore my left labrum boogeyboarding in Hawaii, a month after that wrecked an ankle in a Turkey Trot (which is still stiff in the mornings), and then while recovering from the surgery on my shoulder managed to give myself a bilateral inguinal hernia which I had repaired about a year ago. It's just now beginning to feel normal again. So it's been a rough couple of years for me injury-wise.

My health and my spirits suffered a bit during that time. I've let my weight get away from me and it's time to take my life back.

I want to return to running, but I don't want to get injured. I'll admit - I'm a bit gunshy after the last little bit. After reading Born to Run, I became interested in bare footing for the same reasons as Chris McDougall - I am actually one of those wierdos that enjoyed running. I want to be able to enjoy it for a long time - injury free.

So I ran out and picked up some VFF's and have been wearing them around as my primary shoe since the middle of October.

I just finished "Barefoot Running Step by Step" last night. That's making me consider putting the VFF's on the shelf from a running standpoint and going out barefoot at first so that I can get my technique down. I can relate to Ken Bob - I have super sensitive feet. I've never been able to walk on gravel, even as a kid. Concrete with small pebbles kills me - so I have a ways to go, but I've been out of running for long enough that I feel like I'm starting over from the ground up - which is a good place to be I figure. I'm here to learn - hopefully pick up enough information that between you guys, the books, and my soles - I'll get it figured out.

If there's anyone on here from Salem, or even Portland - who feels like they've got it down well enough to coach someone - I would be interested in meeting up in the future, just to make sure I'm doing this right before I have to get rid of bad habits I've created.

Looking forward to getting to know everyone, and to soak up the knowledge.

Cheers,
Ben

Oregon is a busy group at times. Someone should be along shortly to help you out.

Welcome! :barefoot:

Reactions: skedaddle
Like the subject line says - brand new, from Salem Oregon.

I have run in the past. I trained for and completed a few races leading up to the the Portland Half Marathon in 2014. A week after Portland I tore my left labrum boogeyboarding in Hawaii, a month after that wrecked an ankle in a Turkey Trot (which is still stiff in the mornings), and then while recovering from the surgery on my shoulder managed to give myself a bilateral inguinal hernia which I had repaired about a year ago. It's just now beginning to feel normal again. So it's been a rough couple of years for me injury-wise.

My health and my spirits suffered a bit during that time. I've let my weight get away from me and it's time to take my life back.

I want to return to running, but I don't want to get injured. I'll admit - I'm a bit gunshy after the last little bit. After reading Born to Run, I became interested in bare footing for the same reasons as Chris McDougall - I am actually one of those wierdos that enjoyed running. I want to be able to enjoy it for a long time - injury free.

So I ran out and picked up some VFF's and have been wearing them around as my primary shoe since the middle of October.

I just finished "Barefoot Running Step by Step" last night. That's making me consider putting the VFF's on the shelf from a running standpoint and going out barefoot at first so that I can get my technique down. I can relate to Ken Bob - I have super sensitive feet. I've never been able to walk on gravel, even as a kid. Concrete with small pebbles kills me - so I have a ways to go, but I've been out of running for long enough that I feel like I'm starting over from the ground up - which is a good place to be I figure. I'm here to learn - hopefully pick up enough information that between you guys, the books, and my soles - I'll get it figured out.

If there's anyone on here from Salem, or even Portland - who feels like they've got it down well enough to coach someone - I would be interested in meeting up in the future, just to make sure I'm doing this right before I have to get rid of bad habits I've created.

Looking forward to getting to know everyone, and to soak up the knowledge.

Cheers,
Ben

Hi, welcome to the forum. I am not in Oregon but in my short experience transitioning from cushion to barefoot running the best thing I believe you would say is take it easy and slowly. Completely barefoot at home and do simple but effective exercises to strength your feet and calves. Then adventure yourself on the street. Or a pavement trails. As soon as you have blisters stop! Blisters are a way from your feet to take it easy and wait until your body starts to adapt. Remember that we learned to walk before to run so just listen to your body. I can say it's an amazing experience

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts