Here's a Kickstarter you might want to get behind.

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by George Carter, Jul 23, 2014.

1. George Carter

George Carter
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Australia

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    swoggis likes this.
  2. Manuwi

Manuwi
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Australia

I'm in too. These look like fun.

3. kalipyjamas

kalipyjamas
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Australia
    2. United Kingdom

LOVE IT!!!!!
    Have been away sick since Oaks run...manuwi did you end up making it to glowworm?

4. Barefoot TJ

Barefoot TJ
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    1. Test Chapter
    2. Nomad
    3. Hidden...
    4. Hidden...

Can we move this thread to Gear & Footwear, so more people can see it?

Before my surgeries to repair the damage done to my feet by conventional/traditional running shoes (Morton's Neuroma, two in each foot) through countless treatments and surgeries, these may have helped me. Now that the nerves "left" in the balls of my feet are so sensitive to the smallest pebble, I don't think these would work for me. I'm bummed about that.

5. Neil_D

Neil_D
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. Australia
    2. Presidents

I've just pledged $30 towards the project.
    They would be good on the hot days in the summer, assuming they don't melt.
    I did try running in my Vibrams the other week but I couldn't get the damn things on. They just felt so uncomfortable I gave up and ran barefoot. It was only because it was 5C and I didn't want to freeze my toes off.

Neil

kalipyjamas and Barefoot TJ like this.
  6. kalipyjamas

kalipyjamas
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Australia
    2. United Kingdom

Neil, the Sockwas are really worth a try in this chilly weather......they have some on clearance for about $20.........I've been wearing mine around as everyday shoes too :)

Bare Lee likes this.
  7. murls

murls
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Australia

I made a pair of these when I started transitioning. I just took an old pair of gym gloves I had laying around, cut out the fingers, except for thumb which I put by big toe in. Worked ok but rode up a little and was not really that comfortable to wear. I think I ended up throwing them away. I will post a pic if I find them. These however, they look like they might not be too bad!

kalipyjamas likes this.
  8. Spiderweb62

Spiderweb62
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Germany &...
    2. Australia
    3. France

Interesting, and certainly a great backup that you can easily carry around....Only concern for me is that it gets too tight around the foot ball, but I would not wear these all the time, so this could work

9. Neil_D

Neil_D
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. Australia
    2. Presidents

I think I'm more self conscious now when I do wear something on my feet when I'm running. I just feel better with nothing.
    Only a couple of months before it starts to warm up again so I'm looking forward to that.
    How much running have people been getting in?
    I've been managing between 20 to 30km per week at the moment.

10. Spiderweb62

Spiderweb62
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Germany &...
    2. Australia
    3. France

Same here, I am trying to not put anything on my feet, but this could really help in some cases.

Since last week I am increasing to about 45-50km, but was averaging 30-35km previously. But for that, I have to run more often, with less km's / run.

11. Neil_D

Neil_D
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. Australia
    2. Presidents

I did actually try the vibrams on Satuday run as it was only about 5C when I set off. I did a good distance but I could feel them rubbing and I got a small blister. They made me run differently too and I got a running rash on the upper legs grrrr.
    Last month of winter now, Spring is just around the corner.
    Neil

12. Neil_D

Neil_D
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. Australia
    2. Presidents

Hi George,
    Tell me now, with your Barepadz, you could obviously (by the photos) get your big toe through the opening. I have had great difficulty doing this as the opening size is about the same size as one of my fingers and a big toe will not go through there.
    I assumed maybe you put them on with just the end of your toe visible. I did this and went for a walk in them but found they kept slipping off, how have you found them?

Neil

13. Neil_D

Neil_D
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. Australia
    2. Presidents

Hi again George,
    After some squeezing and pulling I have them on the correct way. Thanks for the photos they were quite informative.

Neil

14. George Carter

George Carter
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Australia

Hi Neil,

Those photos are actually from the site (not me). The ones in this post are mine.

The first pair were too small and caused my toes to bunch up so Greg sent me another larger pair for free!

They fit well but after a 5k Parkrun (that's all I can manage at the moment :inpain:) the outside edge showed signs of premature wear - probably because I overpronate.

IMAG0496.jpg IMAG0500.jpg IMAG0503.jpg IMAG0504.jpg

I found that wearing them made me more prone to bruising in the arch because the protected ball of the foot kept giving me a false sense of security. I became careless running over stones and debris along the course.
    To be honest, I'm not sure the design philosophy actually suits me. The experience of removing contact feedback from the ball of my foot is having a detrimental affect on my running style.
    Ironically, it seems the only place I feel I need protection is under the arch itself, leaving the already tough parts of my feet exposed to run barefoot. I might experiment with them by cutting the toe separator so I can pull each pad right back under the arch - what have I got to lose?! I'm on a slow road to recovery so I've got time to experiment...

murls, swoggis and DNEchris like this.
  15. Neil_D

Neil_D
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. Australia
    2. Presidents

Hi George,

You have a point. I did try just running a short distance in them and the spongy material underneath masked the feedback from my feet and it felt odd. I'm keeping them to use in the colder months when the ground is below 10C to see if they are more suitable for that.
    I can see how they would give you a false sense of security by not paying as much attention to the ground in front of you.
    Maybe the emphasis should have been on making something puncture proof by using a patch of Kevlar underneath and getting rid of any cushioning. It is more the thorns and sharp seeds that are of concern to me, other items I can usually see.

Neil

16. kalipyjamas

kalipyjamas
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Australia
    2. United Kingdom

So I am TOTALLY behind the 8ball on this one due to my hibernation.....I also contributed to the projectand received a pair of padz. Overall I liked the concept....took them up and down the dirt road a few times but that was about it......it felt like they had simply reduced the size of the entire model to accomodate smaller sizes...adn as a result the hole that my big toe was supposed to slide through felt like a flipping tourniquet!!! I also felt that neoprene cushioning was too "jelly like" under the ball of my foot..............I guess all up I would have preferred less material in the upper and just more kevlar on the soles..plus better sizing.
    Does anyone know if Greg made any refinements to the first round of padz and are updated versions available?

17. Neil_D

Neil_D
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. Australia
    2. Presidents

Hi Kal,
    I agree totally. At first I had my big toe in the wrong position because the hole appeared too small. I did eventually work it out from the photos that they should go through the hole and yes they were tight. The underside was a bit too soft, as you say it would have been better to have no padding but an impenetrable layer to stop you landing on something spiky.
    While running along the beach yesterday I stepped on what I think was a small conch shell and that hurt but the pain went away after a kilometre and running through the salt water.

Neil

kalipyjamas likes this.