Helping 7th grader with first running shoes?

Norm Deplume

Barefooters
Apr 3, 2010
Hi all, I've not posted much in a long time because I've not run much in a long time. But that'll be changing soon, now that spring promised to arrive again this year. But that's not why I'm here at the moment.

I have offered to help my neighbor's daughter buy her first pair of running shoes. She has gone out for middle school track and her old sneakers won't work for her. So I need a little guidance on how to help her shop. Her mom is a little afraid of the local running shop charging her $150 for shoes for a girl who has never run, and I'm afraid they'll put her in giant motion control shoes.

Although she's athletic, playing volleyball and softball pretty much every year, E spends most of her time in flip flops (as so many kids in jr high do). She is also overweight, and I've seen how much she pronates-- it's a lot. But my arches are low too, and when the LRS gave me shoes to fix my "overpronation", I ended up with shin splints and sore arches almost immediately. I don't want her to be set up for failure like that.

So to sum up this overly long post, I want some info on how to shop for shoes that won't raise red flags with her track coach, but also won't break her will to run. Any ideas? (I'll also be happy to accept any science on how motion control shoes don't work, I like to be well-informed if a salesperson tries to tout Brooks Beasts.)

Go to Sports Authority and point her to the NB 730. It's a.) affordable (59 bucks on sale this week) and b.) a mass market interpretation of the NBMinimus Road, but actually a better shoe. 3-4mm drop, some cushion. then give her all the form help you can, with youtube video, books, drills, what have you. It's less about what's on the feet than how the body moves.

My $.02, of course.

We don't have a Sports Authority within an hour's drive from here, so that won't be happening, but I'll check into the NB 730. Hope that they'll carry it somewhere around here, too. Thanks for the input!

You may also consider the Saucony Grid Type A5. It looks like a normal shoe but has a lot of the characteristics of a minimal shoe. It does have 4mm of drop between heel and toe, but overall I think it is thinner than the NB Minnimus shoes. I believe it weighs in at 5ozs in the womans model which is pretty light as well. I found these at my local running stores so it may be an option as well.

We don't have a Sports Authority within an hour's drive from here, so that won't be happening, but I'll check into the NB 730. Hope that they'll carry it somewhere around here, too. Thanks for the input!
It's available online as well...if that's a good option; most places have a good return policy, and getting two pairs of these would still cast near the same as one pair of specialty shop shoes, especially if you send the non-fitting one back:)

The 730 is showing up as $80 on RW. Where do you see them for $64.95?

Another option would be the merrell bare access. It is slightly cushioned (8-10mm I think) but is 0-drop and runs about $90. I got a pair for work and have liked them so far despite the cushioning ;)

Another option would be the merrell bare access. It is slightly cushioned (8-10mm I think) but is 0-drop and runs about $90. I got a pair for work and have liked them so far despite the cushioning ;)

I'm a huge fan of the Merrells, but her mom is trying to avoid spending a million dollars for track shoes-- she also plays softball & volley ball and her brother is in wrestling and football. Sports equipment budget is tight in that house already!

Do you have a running shop near you? Nike Streak XC flats would be a good option. Or any racing flat, for that matter; generally lower drop with fair ground feel and won't raise the coach's eyebrow. Local shop may do discounts for local teams as well or have last year's model on closeout pricing...

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test

Latest posts