Help! Something's embedded in my foot...

So I did my run yesterday with no problems and my feet felt fine afterwards, however when I woke up this morning the base of my big toe was sore (right where the top of the ball of my foot is). Its kind of swollen and red and feels like there's something in there. I looked at it superficially and it looked like there was a small pinpoint of something there so I got out a needle and tweezers and dug around. OW! Man, that hurt! I picked around and found nothing. There was a little pus, so I'm assuming there's a foreign object in there. I left it alone hoping that it will either try and work itself out or start to fester and I may be able to tell where exactly it is. I'm not totally sure, but it feels like its pretty deep in there.

How do you guys deal with stuff like this?

Just like you did.  I dig

Just like you did. I dig until I can't dig anymore, then I wait for it to surface on its own. It will come out, but it'll take a day or two longer, maybe three or four. Keep applying rubbing alcohol to it though.

Like TJ said, keeping it

Like TJ said, keeping it clean is very important if it's an open wound now. Give it time and you body should push it out (just like the Salt n Pepa song)

Depending on what it is, be

Depending on what it is, be careful walking or running on it also. Stuff like glass can keep on pushing up through your foot and cutting it if you don't rest it. I know from experience :(

I can usually squeeze things

I can usually squeeze things out with my fingernails. But when I can't, I usually find that I can cut little chunks out with nail clippers, then whatever is in usually falls right out. Thankfully, it's pretty rare that I get anything embedded that needs to come out.

I've never tried it.... but,

I've never tried it.... but, I've heard that an epsom salt foot bath works to speed things along a bit.

I've had a few of these UEO's (Unidentified Embedded Objects) in my feet. They've always worked themselves out after a few days. But, do listen to SayPay... glass is bit more of a danger than your average splinter etc.

S. Pimp.

Thanks for all the advice,

Thanks for all the advice, guys! So I had happy hour in the hot tub with my girlfriends last night and VOILA! It seems to be out and gone. Yay! I guess the soaking thing worked.

zapmamak wrote:... I had

zapmamak said:
... I had happy hour in the hot tub ........ and VOILA! It seems to be out and gone. ....... I guess the soaking thing worked.

Let's not short-change the Happy Hour part!