Help picking a race

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by mokaman, Apr 29, 2012.

1. mokaman

mokaman
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. Georgia

Hey Panhandlers,

Anyone know about the Pensacola marathon or Running the Bay marathon? Trying to choose between these two for a fall barefoot friendly marathon.

Terry

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  2. curraheeeasyc

curraheeeasyc
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Florida -...
    2. Presidents
    3. Florida -...

Hmm, I've looked into running the bay too. It sounds like it should be ok since it's on the road. I don't know about the pensacola one, but I'd think that either way, as long as you spend plenty of time between normal roads with some rougher old roads too, you'd be fine.

3. mokaman

mokaman
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. Georgia

Thanks for the info curraheeeasyc and Gidds, I'm leaning towards Penacola marathon so far...its 3 weeks later than Running the Bay...maybe better temps in mid Nov. than late Oct. Does it get cold around there by mid November, like below 45F?

4. mokaman

mokaman
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. Georgia

I wasn't sure about the temps since here around Atlanta some of the races in mid Nov seem to be in the mid 30's - lo 40's at the start. I think that definitely gives Pensacola an edge for a longer race.

5. sanfugol

sanfugol
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Florida -...

I ran the Pensacola half marathon this last year. Conditions were pretty good. The roads could have been better in places, for sure, but FAR from being bad and not for that long. I heard the full marathon course has a little bit rougher spot in the middle but still not that bad. I guess I'll have to wait until this year to find out for sure. Overall, great experience though.