Help me decide... business casual colors for SoftStar Dash

Tristan

Barefooters
Sep 15, 2011
Ohio
I'm thinking about another pair of SoftStar's Dash for work and play. I have two currently, but one is not a good fit. I got it on their annual clearance sale which only had 'regular' width. It fits ok, honestly before my barefoot running I'd not have even paid attention to the fact that my big toe and pinky toe where squeezed inwards a bit. But now I don't want any pressure at all on them. So they have basically sat in my closet for a long time. Also I wanted to try there bullhide leather sole, so the shoe would be all leather with no rubber at all. It has some really great reviews like here http://birthdayshoes.com/soft-star-runamoc-with-bullhide-review Unfortunately they only give you a couple color choices while dozens are available. They give you choice of size and 3 widths along with 2 choices in soles (but not the bullhide). If you want the leather sole or different colors you have to pay extra for customization. And their regular prices have gone up quite a bit over the years and the custom price on top of that (plus extra for leather sole too) makes a spendy shoe, I admit. They do have one bullhide available as a standard shoe, but it's one of their rather strange color combos with two shades of green. I'd rather stick to black or shades of brown leather to fly under the radar at work.

I've never done a full review, but for a casual shoes they are great. And while certainly not a traditional business styled shoes, they have flown under the radar with very few comments at work. Completely flat sole, non-formed last, uppers so soft they pretty much deflate to flat once of your foot. So soft, almost like buckskin. And a small American company in Oregon that hand makes them with elves (that is what they call themselves anyway lol). They have been very helpful answering questions in the past and have an easy return policy (except for custom or clearance items). Most of there shoes besides being hand made in Oregon are also using mostly all locally sourced materials. I love this! Here is a couple shots of mine in both 'smooth black' and 'chocolate'.

IMG_5314-1024.JPG IMG_5315-1024.JPG
I stuffed them to give em a bit of shape. The blacks are the regular width that I don't hardly wear, the chocolates have a lot of wear and the edges have lost their color. Actually a lot of the wear has been from running in them during the winters. They are just as nice on the trail as in the office. I've tried treating with shoe creme but it just doesn't seem to hold the color. I don't mind the worn look a bit, but would like another pair in the rotation for work.

If I have to pay extra for custom, I thought I'd utilize the ability to pick whatever color combinations I want. Besides the sole you can customize the 3 different leather sections of the shoe (front/back/side color) as well as thread, lace, and grommet color. I might just stick with all black to replace the narrow one I don't wear, certainly can't go wrong there. But just for the heck of it I picked out some other color combos that I thought would look different but still nice enough to be worn to work. What do you think, stick with the solid black (or chocolate) or one of these combos?

dash-compare.jpg

I started with both chocolate and then black front & sides, then added contrasting backs. The look is growing on me, but not sure. The sides can be different colors too, but I didn't like the look unless it matched the front. For the back I used there 'aged' leather in 3 colors; oak, black, and walnut, in that order from top down, then oak again for the last one. Any votes for the combos?

FWIW they do have one Dash with bullhide on their website without paying custom charges, but it slightly odd green and brown combo that might draw some unwanted attention at work...
adult-dash-runamoc-brown-green-shoe_1.jpg

Also, FWIW, they do have a bit more formal looking shoes, the Hawthorn Chukka, but I have decided against that one. It can't be customized, no bullhide or thin sole option, leather is up over the ankle which some comments have mixed feelings about, and though I like the look the way it's stitched down takes up some of the foots volume and I don't want to give any up. Very pricey too. But they might be better for businesses that pay closer attention to footwear. Since I already have the Dash, I know what size and width is perfect for me, and they've been fine at my workplace.

Last edited:
Oh I agree @skedaddle but this is specifically to fly under the radar at work. My choice of footwear otherwise would be none, or huaraches. For when shoes are required I am good with black, or chocolate, like my first two pairs. I am actually nervous about all the other options without being able to see them in person, though I think I'd like em. If I decide to get one of the custom options I'm leaning towards the last one - black front/side with light tan (oak) back, but still undecided. I'm in no rush.

Reactions: skedaddle
A couple of thoughts. One, I would revisit the Hawthorne Chukka. Yes, they are pricey but they are very well made and do not look like bowling shoes. You can even get by wearing them with a suit. They do not go up as high on your ankle as you would think. Two, if you insist on the Dash then spend the extra $ and get a solid color other than a 2 or 3-tone. 2+-tones are fine if they are used for running, as they were designed, but in my view look absolutely ridiculous when trying to pass for casual work wear.

The Hawthorne looks like a nice shoe but this time around I am wanting to try the bullhide Dash, to replace the black Dash's that I have now. Might try the Hawthorne too a different time. I don't need something to wear with a suit though, can't say that I've done that once in my life. Sure I have worn a suit to a few weddings but the shoes unfortunately came with it.

It won't cost me any more to get solid colors on the Dash, in fact could be cheaper - if anyone else is looking at getting a pair the solid color black ones http://www.softstarshoes.com/dash-runamoc-1.html are available with no custom fees or upcharges at all. The color combos I am looking at are actually extra charge for 'design your own'.

Oh I agree @skedaddle but this is specifically to fly under the radar at work. My choice of footwear otherwise would be none, or huaraches. For when shoes are required I am good with black, or chocolate, like my first two pairs. I am actually nervous about all the other options without being able to see them in person, though I think I'd like em. If I decide to get one of the custom options I'm leaning towards the last one - black front/side with light tan (oak) back, but still undecided. I'm in no rush.

I'd go with you're gut. You say you are nervous about the more adventurous options, but not so afraid to explore them in the first place and share the ideas with us. It's ok to like something, you don't need mine or anyone else's approval to be yourself. I like the green ones, but i'd probably add purple spots and blue stripes to them, seriously i'd rock a pair like that :singing:
If you're work demands a strict dress code then best to abide by it, you probably took the job knowing it.

Reactions: Tristan
Question for you @tilleyman if you have both the Hawthorne and the Dash how do you compare the fit between the two? Are yours the same size and width? I know on their website they say the Hawthorn fits more snug and to upsize if you are between sizes. I wondered if maybe they use the same sole template but because the way the Hawthorn are stitched down around the outside versus inside perhaps takes up a bit more interior space.

Hi Tristan,

I ordered the same size (12). I normally wear size 11.5. The toe area is a little snug on both when you first wear them but literally after a day of wear that goes away and they fit in a way that you don't notice any snugness. This might be concerning to a new Soft Star customer and by someone who has for ex; Lems that are roomy as soon as you put them on. But it is really just the nature of the design and materials used. They form to your foot well and nearly instantly. I didn't notice much if any difference other than the leather on the Hawthorn was thicker and thus not stretchy like on the Dash. Maybe I'm missing something but the sizing guide suggested the same size for me on both models.

Good to know they fit similarly.
Maybe I'm missing something but the sizing guide suggested the same size for me on both models.
Here is what made me ask, it's in the description of each...
compare.jpg

In the sizing guide it mentions the Portlander and Rogue fit snugly. Both of these are the same stitch down around the outside like the Hawthorne. I thought perhaps this guide is a bit out of date and maybe the Hawthorne simply wasn't added to it yet, being that the Portlander isn't even made any more other than by custom requests. If I get serious about trying the Hawthorne out I'll ask SoftStar as well, but sometimes nice to hear from actual wearers who have had both, not many have!

Thank you for showing that. Interesting that the sizing chart for each is the same. Now I remember my thought process. Since I'm 11.5 ordering the 12 would take care of the larger size issue on the Hawthorne. On the dash I thought more toe room would be good since I use it for running. They seem to be a identical fit to my foot. The important thing is to try it on inside and walk around for a while to make sure you got the right size. They are also very helpful on the phone. After all, they are elves.

Last edited:

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7