Help, I'm still transitioning but 'have' an ultra to run

FrenchMike

Barefooters
Aug 7, 2015
Lyon, France
Hi,

I've begun walking/running barefoot since august.
For the last month I've only ran barefoot, or with minimal shoes, It's awesome and I don't see myself training any other way. Problem is I've registered for an ultra ( 72 km ) for the fifth of december.
I'm far from ready to run it with minimal shoes even if my long runs with minimal are 2h long..
My whole training with minimal/barefoot is the same volume I'd do with normal shoes for that kind of event, It's just that my body is not ready yet to run in that manner for this distance..

So I'd run it with normal shoes, but isn't that too risky as I only train barefoot or with minimal ?
Any similar experience out there ?

Thanks ! ;)

Your questions could be asked of anyone who is still transitioning regardless if it's a 5K or 100K or any distance, right?

If there is uncertainty when the time comes, and you tried your best to condition your soles, then definitely wear what you know works for you. If you try to start out barefoot, then carry a pair of huaraches or other footwear with you, you can easily fasten them to your waist with a sports belt or fanny pack, and if they are the bulkier running shoes, you could put them in one of those backpacks made for running and other sports.

There's no shame in playing the game. Good luck, and please give us a race report for the home page. And let us know what you decide.

Reactions: FrenchMike
Depends on your history. How much running were you doing before barefoot? Previous Ultra Experience? Reason for going minimal? Race goals?

I think you will be fine using you old shoes if you do the race easy. Pretend that you are barefoot. Land as quietly as possible. Don't get pulled into old shod habits (easier said than done, happens to me all the time). Have fun and enjoy the race by not racing it.

Reactions: DNEchris
Race Goals : Finish it without too much suffering :), I won't race it for sure

I only started going barefoot in august, Been running half minimal / half barefoot since last month, still working on conditioning my feet.

Ultra experience : already done it walking/running a few years back, but I stopped running since, just started training again since september.

Thanks for your reply, I'm a bit reassured that I can still do it with my old shoes

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts