Hello i am New

themattman

Barefooters
May 31, 2011
Hello eveyone. I like others have read "Born to Run", and have this crazy idea that i want to run Barefoot. I hope by the end of summer i am doing just that. I have been reading other post, and will put them to good use.

I do have a question for those who live were it gets very cold and snow's . What do you do in the winter? Do you were a minimalistic shoe?

Well that's enough for know. Trust me, you will be hearing from me.

Born To Run

Matt

welcome, matt.about snow and

welcome, matt.

about snow and cold: you'd be surprised what you can do, once your body gets used to it. Some members of this site kept track of what they did last winter and you can read about the results here: http://barefootrunners.org/story/winter-barefoot-running-challenge-barefooting-bob-credits-smelph-running-barefoot-and-barefoot

However, don't start your barefoot running in such extreme conditions. You need to be able to feel what you are touching with your feet, and for a beginner cold will probably reduce sensation. Proceed slowly... don't do too much too soon. Look in the Library (see link in the Menu bar above) for some links to transitioning advice.

.. and let us know how it goes!

Welcome to the Tribe

Welcome to the Tribe Matt!

Start out slow and you will be running longer and longer barefoot before you know it. Various surfaces and extreme temperatures take some practice and time -- GREAT ADVICE and links from STOMPER! Check with your local chapter to see if they have any clinics or training sessions you can join. I havent had to deal with the snow since I left Colorado, however we do get some cold pavement days (40 degrees) in the winter but the summer heat can get intense on the feet here. This is a great group of barefoot runners with lots of experience and various professions, and everyone is always willing to help out regardless of the reason. Good Luck -

Matt, here is the FB

Matt,

here is the FB page for another runner in france... great guy - lots of knowledge and love for barefoot running

www.facebook.com/daniel.a.dubois?ref=ts

let me know if the link doesnt work..

I second and third the

I second and third the comments above, take it easy and have fun. Running barefoot brings some interesting challenges and a lot of experimenting, alot of it already done by at least one member of this great group.

Winter running is very possible, but it has to be done in moderation and you really have to listen to your body and feet on when to shut it down, so you do not hurt yourself.

Good luck and happy running.

Hi Matt!  Welcome!  I got

Hi Matt! Welcome! I got down to 27 degrees with the ground dry and in the 40s and above when the ground was wet. On dry days, after you've learned how to run with proper barefoot running form, you can incorporate some wool socks. On wet days, try some minimalist footwear. It's all about what you want to do and what you are willing to put into it to acheive it, safely, of course.

Welcome, Matt.  The summer is

Welcome, Matt. The summer is a great time to learn, and I'll leave the really cold weather options to those who deal with them more often. I spent nearly 3 years in Stuttgart, Germany, and the climate there was managable for BFR much of the year. I'm not sure where in France you are, but if it's anything like comparable, then you'll have a long BFR season available, and running indoors at a gym might offer an option for the coldest, snowiest months.

Take the transition slowly and gradually, and enjoy.

Phil

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS