Hello from Southern Utah

There's a lot of old people around here. ;-)

I have a yoga class every Monday morning. Toward the end of class today, I was invigorated and wanted to run, so after class I put my sandals in my hand and started. Now, it was very, very small. I went only about 3 blocks, and only ran about 1 1/2 of those (the first 3/4 block was uphill; it felt great!). It was sidewalk all the way (no gravel anywhere), so being barefoot all the way was super-easy.

It felt so good to do that that, amid memories of people saying, "It's illegal," I drove home barefoot. I can't tell you how awesome and supported I feel having come across a group of people who are into being barefoot in life.

I can tell already you'll be rocking the BF running soon. BTW the way you are starting is how it should be.

Reactions: Phil Hart and Nopp
HI Random! Welcome to the BRS!! Congrats on making the transition. The hardest part is just getting past the front door. Once you're outside, you're kinda committed. :) If you have any questions, or don't know what forum to post a question in, just shoot me an email/private chat thingy. Any of us here would love to help you out! :)

Thanks, CV.

I decided to get used to going barefoot outside a lot, then go from there. I want to toughen up my feet. Funny thing, when I was a kid and up into my twenties, I didn't think much about transition. I hated shoes so I went barefoot as much as I could. (I didn't dare do it in high school, but I had a friend who would put her shoes in her locker once she got to school, and would walk around in socks all day. No one ever noticed..)

Reactions: Phil Hart
Thanks for the welcome. :)

Thanks for the link Barefoot TJ.

I bought my first pair of minimalist shoes recently. They're the most comfortable shoes I've ever gotten. (Vivobarefoot) Does anyone know if "minimalist" comes in sandals? I've not seen any.

My goal is to begin walking barefoot now, before the temp soars above 100F. (When I was a child, I lived in this area and went barefoot all the time, even in the summers; I'd like to regain that ability.)

Since I last posted, I began reading Born to Run. It makes me want to run. I've never been an athlete, so I wonder if it's really possible (as in realistic) to become a runner.

I'm new to barefooting too! I'm trying to ease into it as well so i found some awesome sandals. there are quite a few minimalist sandals, but I'm biased towards Luna Sandals because they're based out of Seattle and that's home. Xerox Shoes and Unshoes also came up in my search. I have the Luna Monos and I'm obsessed. Happy barefooting!

Reactions: Phil Hart