Hello from a Newbie

600andy

Barefooters
Sep 26, 2022
Hi all,

OK, so I am 58, had some issues for several years with Plantar Fasciitis (cleared up now) and then last year Hip Bursitis. Been up and down with my weight, but have found most of my main issues are foot based. Haven't run in years, but want to try and get back to it - but haven't been pain free in the feet and hips for years either! Have been following the Foot Collective UK, and have decided to try and "reclaim" my feet, which I am hoping will help with the remaining foot and hip issues I have that are I believe are mostly due to poor alignment and lack of condition. Have bought all of the toe separators and balls etc to try and get my feet ready for my new purchase - a pair of Freets https://freetbarefoot.com/product/freet-citee/ Went for these as they are reasonably priced - and not a disaster if I cant get on with them.

I aim to start carefully and use only for short periods initially to slowly build up my foot health & general strength. Totally new to all this so would be really grateful for any steers or advice.

Many thanks.

Andy

Reactions: Barefoot TJ
Welcome, Andy!

How do your feet feel when you are barefoot? Do you have pain? Or do you only have pain when you are wearing some types of footwear?

Do you notice if your hip pain lessens when you are barefoot, of course, after a good resting amount of time?

Welcome, Andy!

How do your feet feel when you are barefoot? Do you have pain? Or do you only have pain when you are wearing some types of footwear?

Do you notice if your hip pain lessens when you are barefoot, of course, after a good resting amount of time?

Hi, apologies for the tardy response! Well tbh, have avoided barefoot, even in the house for years due to the PF - the one thing all PF suites tell you to avoid, so have stuck with Oofos instead of going barefoot, and Sketchers when at work. When I have gone barefoot, usually on the beach once a year I have no pain, but notice post walk soreness in the Plantar Fascia and achilleas, but then my feet are probably so weakened over the years due to the PF so to be expected. I also found during the PF I tend to have very tight calves.

Would need an extended period to gauge hip improvement - so I am at that having to take a leap of faith stage to find out, and of course I have to re-learn how to walk properly again before I can even think of running.

Biggest issue right now is my knees - I have some sort of knee cap issue that is probably aggravated by the poor alignment from hip, through knee to foot - hoping this too might improve, but I have quite a bit of muscle wastage that I have to address before I can properly make progress.

Hope all this makes sense!

Andy