Hello folks.

Welcome, Tedlet! Please feel free to join the UK Chapter through the Chapters link above.

Reactions: Josh16
Thanks for the welcomes.
TJ -I have indeed now joined the UK chapter (At least I think I have! -I.T.'s not my strong point you know).
Arbogast -good to hear I'm not the only 'newbie' too. I'll let you know how I progress (although, being new to BF, I suspect I'm some way behind you).
Does anyone have any tips for the Winter by the way -it would be useful to know in advance, even if it is still a little way off.

You are certainly welcome here, Ted. Glad you've felt that from the start. BF running certainly does work the calves a bit, but relaxing your feet (basically just letting them dangle at the end of your legs - they'll land right, I promise) will help you keep from trying to "catch" yourself with your calves. Your muscles will fire automatically when your forefoot comes down, which is where the impact should be dissipated. Using your calves to try to create controlled deceleration in your leg motion will cause them to work much harder than required, often producing soreness and tightness in them. I think we all go through this learning event/stage as we figure out how the mechanics are supposed to work. I certainly did, and, toward the end of longer runs where my form starts flagging a bit, sometimes still do experience a little of this.

Thanks for the welcomes.
TJ -I have indeed now joined the UK chapter (At least I think I have! -I.T.'s not my strong point you know).
Arbogast -good to hear I'm not the only 'newbie' too. I'll let you know how I progress (although, being new to BF, I suspect I'm some way behind you).
Does anyone have any tips for the Winter by the way -it would be useful to know in advance, even if it is still a little way off.

Hi Tedlet
As far as winter bf running goes i've not really had much of a problem if i follow a few rules. I always carry a pair of minimal shoes with me, not that i can't run bf in cold temps its just that if something goes wrong, you slip on some ice or whatever you will need that backup.
Keep moving and wrap up to keep your core warm, very important.
If your toes go numb reach for the min shoes, just common sense stuff will give you a very enjoyable winters running experience.
Oh and be prepared for some very strange and puzzled looks, you will be considered certifiable and it's hard to spot the men in white coats in the snow ;)

Also regarding winter, keep in mind that it will probably get easier with each winter, as your feet get more accustomed to being bare, but don't feel pressure from other people's winter progress. Everyone is starting from a different point and dealing with different variables.

Thanks happysongbird + skedaddle, that sounds like useful info again to me. Currently I'm finding our September early mornings are perfect, so hopefully the weather will hold out for a little while yet. -Still early stages for me obviously, but I'm certainly enjoying the experience so far.
(-will keep an eye out for the men in white coats...)

Just to follow up: Wise words indeed Phil -calf muscles much better this time!..
Glad that helped, Ted. It just takes a while to pick up on the many small factors that make BF running work smoothly, and even longer to get them all working together at the same time. The more you do it right, the firmer they get imbedded into muscle memory, which makes it that much easier.

Reactions: Tedlet
Increased my distance slightly today (only by a small amount) & seem to have created a nasty little blood blister on one of my middle toes. Routine stuff for a newbie I guess/hope! -Anyone got any useful tips on accelerating the healing/hardening process by any chance, or is this just one of those things where patience is a virtue?

Thanks El Yuca. Yes that thought went through my mind too. I wonder if I am subconsciously trying to 'pull' with my left foot a bit and somehow attempting to 'grip' the ground with my toes instead of just landing on it. I'll get back out as soon as it's healed and try and relax more... (no problems with the right foot though, so I'll take that as a positive at least!).:)