Hello Barefooters

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by bogrist, Feb 2, 2012.

1. bogrist

bogrist Barefooters
    1. Georgia

Hello Barefooters!

My name is Bo Grist and I recently volunteered to play a more active role in the chapter by helping organize some events, stoke up the website chatter and generally celebrate being barefoot in Georgia.

Because Georgia is so vast and the membership is quite geographically dispersed, the online community can serve as a great place for us to share stories, ask questions and feel like we are part of something larger. I really encourage you all to participate both online and at the races/community meetups.

Some of the things I hope to establish soon are:

1) Host a monthly run

2) Develop and maintain a list of races/runs our members are participating in so that we can get to know one another better.

3) Recruit members to share their barefoot stories or advice in some structured way.

4) Establish and curate a set of tools so that new runners can learn how to transition to barefoot or minimally shod running safely

5) Implement the great ideas I am certain you will be sending me later tonight

I plan on hosting a run on the North Atlanta Greenway in February and would like to get some input from the group before setting a date. Weekday night? Weekend morning? The goal will be to find a time that works for the largest number of folks. Please let me know your vote.

To kick off the Member to Race Mapping, I will go first. Please send me a list of the races or group runs you are planning on participating in and I will compile a list and send it out to the group. I am running in these:

February 11: Chatahoochee Nature Center 10K

February Meetup @ Greenway

March 18: Publix Marathon/ Half Marathon

April 28: Rock n Roll Nashville Marathon / Half Marathon

I am really excited to be part of this group and I look forward getting you know you guys.

Cheers,

Shoeless Bo

2. Barefoot TJ

Barefoot TJ Administrator
    1. Nomad

Thanks for stepping up to lead Georgia, Bo! I'm excited. You have a lot of good vision.

I won't be able to take part in any runs for a couple more months, maybe more, since I'm still healing from a couple of surgeries, but once I am well, I plan to attend all that I can.

International Barefoot Running Day is always on the first Sunday in May, so this year it will be on May 6. So, everyone, please be sure to come out and show your support for our crazy sport/past time. We just need to decide where to have it this year. Last year, we had it at Stone Mountain, and it was really nice.

We always have a meetup at the Peachtree Road Race that takes place in Atlanta on July 4th, so please be sure to add that one.

Also, Jason Robillard, BRS's Activities VP, is touring with Merrell and will be attending the Merrell Down & Dirty in Atlanta (Conyers) on October 14, so please also add that one.

Then I would like to invite everyone to the second largest event (I believe) that takes place in Peachtree City called the Peachtree City Classic (Men's 5K, Women's 5K, and Open 15K) on all paved asphalt paths through the green belts, always on the third Saturday in October, so that would be the 20th.

So far, that's allI have.

I want to encourage everyone to go to their profile on the BRS's site and click to add your location to the Member Map (found on the home page). This will help Bo to know where the majority of members are in Georgia, so he can plan some of our meetups in locations where there is a majority of members.

Thanks all & thanks, Bo!

TJ

3. barefoot_n_ga

barefoot_n_ga Barefooters
    1. Georgia
    2. Florida -...

Hi Bo,

Thanks for taking on the leadership of our Georgia group. I am planning to run the Pi Mile 5k at GA Tech on 4/14 and I am also planning to see if I can get into the Peachtree Road Race. I have never run it before and it will be my first 10k.

As far as organizing a run in February, a weekend morning would be better for me just from the traffic and work standpoint.Where is the North Atlanta Greenway?

I live in Duluthso if there are any other Gwinnett members that would like to meet up and run sometime, let me know. I typically run at the Suwanee Greenway or at Pinckneyville Park in Norcross on Peachtree Industrial Blvd.

Regards,

Gerry

email: barefootnga@hotmail.com

4. dlodwn

dlodwn Barefooters
    1. Georgia

Getting ready for New Orleans Rock n Roll 1/2 Marathon this sunday... Will be posting pics as I will be running in my Luna sandles

5. bogrist

bogrist Barefooters
    1. Georgia

Hello Barefooters!

Here is an updated version of the race schedule:

Date Event Location Participants
    11-FebChatahooche Nature Center 10KRoswell: Bo
    4-MarNew Orleans Rock and Roll New Orleans:dlowdn
    18-MarPubilx Half Marathon Atlanta: Bo, Tyler, Alan
    14-MarPi Mile 5K Atlanta: Gerry
    7-AprGeorgia Jewell Ultra Dalton: Tyler, Alan
    28-AprRock n Roll Half Marathon Nashville: Bo
    6-MayInterbational Barefoot DayEveryone!
    4-JulPeachtree Road Race 10K Atlanta: TJ, Gerry
    18-AugAlien Half Roswell: Bo
    14-OctDown and Dirty Conyers: TJ
    20-OctPeachtree City Classic Peachtree City:TJ

Anyone have an update to this? Please send it along and I will repost.

I just learned about this race along the river in Roswell: http://alienhalf.com/ and signed up yesterday. 128 feet of climbing in 13.1 miles sounds awesome.

Also, I would like to plan a group run on the Greenway for Friday, March 9th (my birthday by the way). Any takers? I am open to any distance between 3 and 12 miles.

Happy Barefooting Folks,

Bo

6. TMo

TMo Barefooters
    1. Georgia

Hey I am down to help out...let me know. I am new to the game, but I am jazzed.

7. dlodwn

dlodwn Barefooters
    1. Georgia

Nice job on the race schedule.. were a bunch of busy barefooted bee's..

8. bogrist

bogrist Barefooters
    1. Georgia

How was the New Orleans race?

9. bogrist

bogrist Barefooters
    1. Georgia

Did you win?

10. dlodwn

dlodwn Barefooters
    1. Georgia

Finished 13.1 @ 2:15:45... Great course.. enjoyed the day. The Luna's held up wonderfully. And so did my knee's !

11. bogrist

bogrist Barefooters
    1. Georgia

Great Job. Please post some photos.

12. barefoot_n_ga

barefoot_n_ga Barefooters
    1. Georgia
    2. Florida -...

Hi Bo. I am not getting notifications of all of the postings here. Regarding your post on 2/28 with the race schedule. The Pi Mile 5K at GA Tech is April 14, not Mar 14.

I am in Duluth and would love to meet up with other barefooters for a run.

Gerry
    barefootnga@hotmail.com