Hello Barefoot Runners!

I am brand new to the Barefoot World as of this week and I have my "big" goal set. I completed 6 half marathon trail runs in 2015 plus some 5 & 10ks here and there. No competitions in 2016 so far however the mileage has not stopped!

I have already read for hours through the threads and blogs here and am very excited for the years to come of feeling this earth in a whole new light! Any feedback for a beginner is more than welcome- send it on over.

Thank You and I look forward to this new adventure!

Please feel free to add your chapter's icon to your member info box (at left) by enabling your chapter's link in your signature, and if you're comfortable, Please add your location to the Member Map.

Unfortunately, this chapter is a little slow, so let's hope your posting will help move things along and inspire your group to get together for either some runs or at least some talk.

Welcome! :barefoot:

Howdy! Best advice I have is to take it easy at first, it is really easy to do to much too soon and end up hurt one way or another. And perhaps getting one of the few barefoot running books out there that are also full of advice for beginners.

When learning to run barefoot it is better not to have any race goals in mind as it puts too much pressure on you to do quantity over quality.
It will take a long time to get your brain rewired to be able to correctly run barefoot. A good guide is to look for photos of how you run at present, with shoes one. Check the photos to see if you are a heel striker and if so how bad, look at your stride length. Then think about the number of years you have been running, the more years the longer if will take to modify your form. People told me it couldn't be done, you run one way and that's it, this is rubbish. Your brain can relearn anything if you give it enough time. So, patience is the key, the rewards will be lifelong.

Neil

Thank You everyone! I am up to two miles- loving it & EVERYTHING is improving, cadence, gait flexibility, mental strength- it's all coming together so strong! I have 1 blister on my left foot that is on my middle toe- the blister came in last night so I am assuming I will have to record why this blister is coming in- I believe when I strike I am hitting the ground toes first which they should hit second... Let the patience begin while I rework this new adventure:wacky:

I still believe, while others don't, that it's a good idea to lift your feet and toes when running (run lightly, run gently), so you avoid friction. It worked for me when I was working out the kinks in the beginning.

Reactions: petit-pied