"heel" pain

mikee002

Barefooters
Jun 26, 2010
Hi, the VAST majority of my miles are in very minimal shoes with a couple barefoot/VFF's thrown in. I follow the "style" of evolution running. I've been running like this now for a few months and I love it so much more than the heel pounding that I used to do.

Recently I've noticed some pain in my heel bone, specifically the back of my heel, about an inch off the ground. I have no pain at all in my achilles tendon, it even seems lower on the heel than where the achilles and the heel meet up. I'll include a little graphic that might help. Both heels are the same, it's not unbearable. After a couple minutes of running it goes away and it's only slightly painful to the touch for the rest of the day. I know I could probably stretch my lower leg/foot better, because the bottoms of my feet are tight/sore when getting up in the AM or after sitting for a long time. I've had PF flare ups in the past, and it's not anywhere near as painful as that was. boy... I'm long-winded, sorry!

TL:DR - my heel hurts where highlighted in the img339.imageshack.us/img339/9489/heelm.jpg

From what I learned recently

From what I learned recently from a "hypersensitivity" issue I had with some antibiotics that affected my tendons, that low part of the back of your foot is also part of the Achilles heel region. Yes, you should stretch everyday, at least twice, but be sure to stretch it gently. Good luck.

You also might try rolling

You also might try rolling the soleus--I gave directions on how in this comment from a previous thread. You won't actually be rolling the place that hurts, but rolling the soleus can often help with ankle/heel/arch pain. Good luck!

yup that's still an achilles

yup that's still an achilles issue. stretching may help but you also need to make sure the calves aren't getting to recoil too much. same as when you had pf you had to make sure your arches didn't tighten up when you were relaxed you need to do the same for the calves. things like night splints will help a lot for that while you're sleeping. it will also help get rid of the pains you have when you wake up.

This same pain is identical

This same pain is identical to the pain I have been dealing with since a school Turkey Trot (Canadian) I did in October. I hadn't run for over 6 weeks due to a rib injury, and this was my first run. The competitive side of me challenged my cross-country runners that if they could beat me I would buy them a DQ blizzard. I had to pour it on. I ran at a 6:44 min/mile pace, 40 seconds faster than any previous race pace, and I did it in bare feet. This was my second race in bare feet, and this one included gravel. I felt no pain during the race, but at the end I felt as if I bruised the underside of my right heel. The next day, it showed up as a pain on the back of my heel about an inch up.

The pain, just as Mike describes, often goes away during runs. It is most prevalent in the mornings and after kneeling or sitting for a time. From research, it seems that it is most likely achilles tendonitis, but the only recommendation that i have come across is rest. That is hard to do. I have been stretching and rolling out, both of which I will continue. Are there particular stretches that will help? Does massage help the tendonitis or make it worse? What's a night splint (particular to achilles issue)?

They do have night splints

They do have night splints you can use just for Achilles tendonitis. Try here: www.FootSmart.com. Also, you should be using ice in your regiment to control swelling.

When I was getting over that reaction I had to some antibiotics I had taken that caused extreme swelling in the tendons in my wrists and arms and feet and ankles, I took some prescribed anti-inflammatories. This stuff worked a whole lot better than the typical OTC NSAIDs, but since I was only supposed to take one two times a day, there was a period of time through the afternoon that I felt a lull, so I called our local Herb Shop. They recommended I take some all-natural anti-inflammatories (much better than the OTC NSAIDs out there) called Inflama-Rest, and I am so glad they did. I ordered mine from Amazon, and they started really working within two days. I took them around the clock along with the prescribed anti-inflammatories, and I really started to improve. I'm sure just getting the anti-biotics out of my system was the biggest step, but these meds really helped with the pain and reducing the swelling/inflammation.

Here's one example of an

10006_NONE

Here's one example of an Achilles aid: http://www.footsmart.com/P-Silipos-Achilles-Heel-Sleeve-10006.aspx

http://www.amazon.com/Inflama-Rest-30-30t-Source-Naturals/dp/B004BKCT90/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1291161378&sr=8-3

Thanks, TJ. I'll look into

Thanks, TJ. I'll look into both options.

Dealing with this same issue

Dealing with this same issue for 3 months and like CBeth, am a fan of working trigger points. I discovered a new trick when I was on vacation that has made a huge difference:
I would put my foot up on the hard counter and let the weight of my leg find the zinger points in my heel, working very slowly around that entire area (I had time). It can be intense but I worked through it because the relief was so immediate and lasting. A golf ball in hand works around the ankle area especially well also. When I would stand up after, there was a weird sharp pain that immediately gave way to a more flexible ankle. I barely have any stiffness or pain in the mornings and am up to running 5.5 mi, where before vacation I could barely hobble to the loo and was hurting at mile 4.

Golf ball... definitely will

Golf ball... definitely will give it a try. I was reminded last week by a newly acquired chiropractor of a technique I used to deal with a muscle pull under my right foot days before a race, fascia release, loosening up of the fascia tissue which tightens up around an injured at the time if trauma. My chiropractor referred the the style that he studied as 'Graston,' but mentioned that there are many techniques with very similar principles behind the technique.

What I did: I warmed my heel for 10 minutes. I then applied a lubricant, tea tree oil in this case, and then scraped across the skin with pressure using a spreading utensil (not a butter knife but a dull edged spreader... not sure what the real term is). I worked through the area surrounding the heel, up the outside edge of my foot towards the top muscle, and into the bottom 1/3 of my calf. Even after 45 minutes, I could tell that there was much gunk left to work through. Being that I needed to get to bed at the time, I finished with a 15 minute long cold pack on the heel and headed off to dream land.

The next morning was the first time I could walk on my foot without pain in over a month. During the day, inflamation and discomfort grew. A couple of days later, my chiropractor worked on it in his 'Graston' technique for 15 minutes, and I did another hour session the next day. There is still a hint of pain, but I feel quite enpowered to have found a way to work through it that I can do myself.

I still have lots to learn about fascia release, but my limited knowledge and makeshift tool have already made a significant difference in a short time. We'll see how it does after doing some running on it over the next few days.

I really hope it works for

I really hope it works for you- I finally ran an 11 miler yesterday which is the farthest since the ankle/heel pain flared up in mid October. A bit stiff today naturally, but it loosened up after golf ball massage during coffee.

Fascinating!

Fascinating!

That is also pretty close to

That is also pretty close to the only naturally occurring bursa in your body (it lies between he Achilles and the heel bone), so you may have developed some bursitis (inflamed bursa) there. From what I have read bursitis responds well to some rest, anti-inflammatories and a reduction in hard impact.

What hard impact

What hard impact Smelph?...We're not heel pounding anymore!
I think mine was caused by ditching high heels and orthotics and my muscles having to adapt to my running form change as well. RICE did help a little but mostly make me cranky. :)

Glad to hear you are back to

Glad to hear you are back to running, Twinkle. My heel seems to be doing much better, but there is still a feeling of bruising that is hanging on. I've done a few self-fascia release sessions, and my chiropractor did another. He sees improvement and is recommending I get out and do some running... for my heel and the rest of my tight, out-of-whack body (had a bad rib injury at the end of August that tweaked my whole body and being as RICE makes me cranky as well). I'm going out for a run tomorrow to see how things go, although no 11 miler for this first 'real' time out in a while.

Smelph, thanks for mentioning the possibility of bursitis. I will definitely look into that possibility while I work harder at staying off my heels... maybe I should just run everywhere to eliminate any heel striking :) Do you have any good sites on bursitis that you would recommend?

Thanks!

Thanks inbetweenmytoes, the

Thanks inbetweenmytoes, the ankle/heel is better even after 20miles last weekend because I keep working on those stubborn zingers with my foot on a hard stool or a golf ball in my sock (so it doesn't slip as easily). Google myofascial release and you'll find all kinds of material. I also am wearing compression sleeves on every run to help with the calves and by extension, the achilles.

Has your chiropractor suggested ultrasound? I forgot to mention that mine had been treating my heels and ankles once each week and it's made a difference as well. Interesting about the bursitis- I'm sure I heel pounded when wearing those high heels all day.