Hawaii Group Run

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by Dirtbag, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Dirtbag

Dirtbag Barefooters
    1. Hawaii

Ok, I've been a terrible, horrible, no good Chapter President when it comes to putting together group runs. But now I'm back on the island for a while, big races and events are far in the future, and I'm ready to recitfy my lack of runs with fellow BRSers.

I would like to get together Saturday the 6th or Sunday the 7th. I prefer somewhere on the North Shore side, maybe Haleiwa area, or possible Mililani, but if there are many people who would like to run somewhere else, please let me know.

And I'm thinking a start time of 9:30. How does that strike you? Not too early. We can determine time/distance once a few people start speaking up.

So...please let me know what you think. Thanks.

2. Dirtbag

Dirtbag Barefooters
    1. Hawaii

So...no one?

3. Unclad Lad

Unclad Lad Barefooters
    1. Hawaii

I'm up for whatever, but I can only manage about a mile barefoot these days. Unless we're on like a sidewalk or something smooth like that, then maybe I could go for 2 or 3 if I was lucky.

4. Dirtbag

Dirtbag Barefooters
    1. Hawaii

No worries on distance, or levels of barefootness. I run in Bikilas. When and where works for you, since we have had no other responses yet.

5. Unclad Lad

Unclad Lad Barefooters
    1. Hawaii

Well, I gave blood today so no run for me today.. Tomorrow maybe, after 11 I'm available.. I think the secret to success on this is to just pick a date and location and hopefully people will show up. If no one shows up, then we post pictures of our meetup on this site and talk about what we did so other people show up next time.

What I'd like is for as many barefoot enthusiasts as possible to congregate and discuss techniques, diet, shodedness etc. It would be good to draw attention to barefoot running and barefoot lifestyle in general.

I mean, come on, this island is not that big. No matter where people live we should be able to get together and do something.

6. Dirtbag

Dirtbag Barefooters
    1. Hawaii

Sounds like a plan. Lets plan to meet up at noon? 11:30? Where are you coming from? I'd rather stay in the Mililani/Haliewa area but am open if that's not helpful to you.

7. Unclad Lad

Unclad Lad Barefooters
    1. Hawaii

I'll be leaving Waianae about 10-1030am, can be in Haleiwa by 11, 1130.. noon.. whatever.. where do you want to meet? I go there on occasion but I've never ran there... where is a good place for us to go? I know for sure Mililani has nice sidewalks to run on. I see people running there all the time. But maybe more people would want to come to Haleiwa for it's scenic-ness... If people show up maybe we can all have lunch after at Killer Taco's or some other place.

Again, if people are frightened by running in public or something, like I said, I usually only run a mile barefoot because my feet aren't conditioned enough yet to survive much longer on the cheese grater roads we have here in Waianae. So I hope people will come and check out the group.

That said, I think I might be up to 2 or 3 miles on smooth sidewalk if the barefoot gods smile upon me... Might be 10 minute miles.. but I think I can at least finish.

8. Dirtbag

Dirtbag Barefooters
    1. Hawaii

Sounds great. I'm having trouble thinking of a nice stretch actually in Haleiwa that has good sidewalks. What if we meet at the 24 Hour Fitness in Mililani? That's an easy location to find, there is nice running, good sidewalks, and some shade on the paths.

Let's plan on meeting at 11:30 right outside the Mililani 24. The only other suggestion I'd make is if you want to run later, like 4:30, to wait out the midday heat I'd be ok with that too.

Hopefully some other Hawaii BRS members are thread-stalking this and want to come along. The more the merrier. We aren't racing, just going for a nice little run. We can run as far as you're comfortable. And, like I said, I won't be running barefoot at all, I'll be in Bikilas. So if you have minimal shoes you want to bring so you can throw them on and run a little further no one's going to judge.

You can find me on the Facebook too, Doug Robertson, through the BRS page. If you search it won't come up. Hiding from nosey students.

9. FreeYourToes

FreeYourToes Barefooters
    1. Connecticut
    2. Hawaii

Man I can't wait until I get back to the island and can run around bf again

10. Dirtbag

Dirtbag Barefooters
    1. Hawaii

Oh no, 11:30 rapidly approaches and I haven't heard a confirmation about anything we've planned yet. I'm going to assume my last communication got through and I'll be at 24 Hour Fitness at 11:30. I'm the tattooed guy in Bikilas standing outside.

11. Unclad Lad

Unclad Lad Barefooters
    1. Hawaii

For those who missed it, me and Dirtbag ran a total of 3.27 miles in 34m2s. My runtastic link is here:

http://runtastic.com/en/users/Ron-Hamilton/sport-sessions/4408666-running-jogging-2011-08-07

Dirtbag took it easy on me and we had a nice, casual run chatting most of the time about running, barefoot activities, and future plans for the group. I have high hopes and I can't wait til next group run when more people can show up.

12. mommyandkeiki

mommyandkeiki Barefooters
    1. Hawaii

I've been running using the Galloway method, so I run two minutes, walk one minute throughout run. If going for longer than 45 mins, I'll run 2 mins and walk 2 mins. I usually start out barefoot and go as long as I can, about 12-30 mins, depending, and then put on Five Fingers or Luna sandals. I really like the Luna sandals. They are even lighter than the FIve Fingers. Just gotta get used to the between the toe part and it has to be adjusted just right. I enjoy running with this barefoot thing combined with Galloway. I haven't tried running non-stop since running like this. My goal was to go pain and injury free. My longest run is about 7 miles on Pearl City residential hills and flats.

So I don't think I could keep up with "normal" barefoot runners. My best pace so far is 12:13, abouts. Usually is in the 13 minute range.

13. Unclad Lad

Unclad Lad Barefooters
    1. Hawaii

Keep it up mommy. Dirtbag took it easy on me, I'm sure he wouldn't mind taking it easy on you too.

Are you posting your progress on the web anywhere? You can follow mine on twitter. I'm @uncladlad. Dirtbag posts his on facebook, but I'm not a user so haven't seen his postings, but he's way more in shape than we are.

14. Dirtbag

Dirtbag Barefooters
    1. Hawaii

Everyone is welcome on our runs, no need to speed. The group runs are as much about being around like-minded runners as they are about fitness. We won't leave you behind. Might be fun to try the Galloway.

15. devilnuts

devilnuts Barefooters
    1. Hawaii
    2. Arizona -...

Hey, let's do these again! hahaha. I am running three times a week right now. Since I'm doing by Honolulu and Waikiki, I am running all over the place down here. My usual runs are up around Manoa, Makiki, Waikiki, Ala Moana, McCully...so if you are interested, let me know. I am currently training for the Honolulu marathon. I have run a half marathon bf in Tucson and this will be my first marathon...with or without shoes. haha. But don't let that scare ya. I can run just about any pace for just about any length of time. Doing these group runs I am not concerned about pace or distance, that is what my training is for. These are just to find some other crazies out there like myself. hahaha.