Has Nike invented a second skin?

This product seems very

This product seems very silly. Either you wear a well designed min shoe, or you wear no shoe at all. This product fits into niether category. It certainly is not a shoe. Just a flop idea...... Lets see Nike improve toe box correctly, and rid the arch support, slim down outsole. Before they take more extreme product changes. One step at a time.

Not sure how the germ thing got into this topic. So I skipped over some previous posts in the thread in a effort to stay on topic.

On the germ thing, my two

On the germ thing, my two biggies are the community salad bars at grocery stores and the ice machines at fast food restaurants. I never use the ice. Now the Nike thing, I think it's a neat concept, but it would take new technology to make it work, sticking to your skin, and have it come off when you want it to, and then being able to use it again the next day. I thought about something similar using a band of rubber, (3" wide) maybe from a bike tire. You could slip it over your forefoot for protection. Haven't figured out the heel part yet, but you're only supposed to land very softly on that, anyway.

miqie wrote:I thought about

miqie said:
I thought about something similar using a band of rubber, (3" wide) maybe from a bike tire. You could slip it over your forefoot for protection. Haven't figured out the heel part yet, but you're only supposed to land very softly on that, anyway.

Foot thongs ?? :quest:

footthong.jpg

moz-screenshot.png
moz-screenshot-1.png

The nutbowl was barehand

The nutbowl was barehand friendly last night. Maybe the salt added to the nuts did a number on the bugs that were transfered there from other's fingers, 'cause despite my over indulgence on the high fat snack I'm feeling just fine over 27 hours later.

Being a guy I've observed first hand that most men don't wash their hands after using the lavatory, and in general that more guys snack on nuts than women (who's weakness is the M&Ms).

So I KNOW I ingested microbes that had been hanging around other dude's private parts, good thing we have robust guts than can take it!

Funny thing is, in the late 70's researchers were telling us that we no longer lived in fear of microbes, that CHEMICALS instead were the enemy. Antibiotics had done their job, but carcinogenic compounds and cholesterol were to be feared.

Then in the early 80's came HIV, followed in the 90's by Ebola, Bird Flu, Mad Cow (who ever even heard of prions before that unless you went to med school), West Nile Virus, MRSA......and here we are with loads of viruses and antibiotic resistant bacteria of all kinds now.

The thread DID get hijacked from the Nike proposed product to the germ issue, because it was looked at as a possible solution to that perceived problem.

I'll still eat the nuts and go barefoot, but don't you dare cough or sneeze near me!

Longboard, you're a brave

Longboard, you're a brave (and honest) man breaking down the probability of eating nuts that may have been touched by hands that touched other sorts of nuts. And you did a nice job of going back in history to show that there has always been something to fear (or so we're told). What did FDR :hat: say though? :wink:

Paraganek that photo is interesting because of the way the outline of the toes seems to be molded to the shape of a shoe. Looks like the inventor must not be a big BF'er. Also, looks like the inventor is planning on landing on the balls and not the outside (pinky toe) corner. Reminds me of a little straight jacket.

to what Board said.

:sick: to what Board said.

Tuesday night and still not

Tuesday night and still not sick!

You may not be, but I am just

You may not be, but I am just thinking about it! :sick:

Reminds me of that

Reminds me of that (barf-inducing) Mythbusters where they tested to see how much poo gets on toothbrushes near the can vs. away from the can:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeAOC3A0xJ8

Result: yeah. Poo is everywhere, and even Howard Hughes can't avoid it. YUCK! :sick:

"Result: yeah. Poo is

"Result: yeah. Poo is everywhere, and even Howard Hughes can't avoid it. YUCK!"

As I remember, Howard saved his, or maybe it was his urine he saved. True story!

Oh man...I have a couple

Oh man...I have a couple Holiday parties this weekend and this thread has me freaked out over the nut bowl. Maybe I'll just have to bring a personal stash and hide it somewhere so people keep their germy hands off of it!

Kidding...I've been eating out of nut bowls my entire life and I'm still kickin :party:

I'm with board on the nut

I'm with board on the nut bowls. Our gastrointestinal systems are champs.

I'll take those bacteria in my stomach over any type of skin infection bacteria on irritated skin or worse an actual cut anyday.

There's already a good

There's already a good product for a little foot protection without wearing a shoe. I use KT Tape on the balls of my feet and toes when I have a little sensitivity nowadays. That tape sticks on through anything (I've even worn it in the ocean before going for a run). $15 a roll, compared to the probable price point on these things.

Doesn't it roll off while

Doesn't it roll off while running barefoot though, SP? Like duct tape does?

It actually doesn't roll

It actually doesn't roll off. It stays put nicely. The adhesive on the tape is head and shoulders more effective than duct tape, which seems to slide off as soon as it gets wet or you start to sweat.

I just used it for a barefoot run in the snow to cover what is left of my blisters, and it didn't move at all for the whole 3 miles. Pretty good for a piece of tape if you ask me.

What is the brand?  Gotta

What is the brand? Gotta link?

The brand is called KT Tape

The brand is called KT Tape (http://www.kttape.com/). I prefer the pre-cut strips. You can buy it online, and at pretty much any sporting goods store. I usually buy it whenever I see it at race expos, because they'll usually give you a good deal. I got three rolls for $20 at the Honolulu Marathon expo.

Thanks, SP!

Thanks, SP!

SP, did you wrap it all the

SP, did you wrap it all the way around your foot when you used it? I tried to cover a blister with it once, and it just rolled off during my run. :puzzled: (I only put a little piece over the blister, like a band-aid)

I wrap it all the way around

I wrap it all the way around my foot. It sticks best to itself. Here's a photo of what I did before my last race (I had a blister on my second toe and on the ball of my foot. The tape is flexible enough that you can wrap your foot without cutting off circulation. Just don't overdo it.

IMG_20101220_115803.jpg

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test