Has Nike invented a second skin?

What?  They don't have a boat

What? They don't have a boat anchor for Yoga and Dance now?

footsticker01.jpg

footsticker02.jpg

footsticker03.jpg

I tried duct tape for a run

I tried duct tape for a run once after I was healing from the cryosurgery and all the nerves in my feet were extra sensitive, and I can tell you that tape, even duct tape, does not stay put. First, it rolls from the edges and creates a tubular "object" under your feet at various places, then as it pulls on the skin, the skin starts to feel like it's tearing; if you have a blister under that tape and try to pull the duct tape off, the blister will come right off with it.

I just had a thought...  I

I just had a thought... I bet these are going to drive the foot sickos crazy.

That is cool. Different. I am

That is cool. Different. I am trying to think when would I use them. Maybe as recovery if I had tender feet.

TJ I agree nice foot model. :)

I don't understand marketing

I don't understand marketing any sort of footwear to yoga. I think that everytime I see the VFF ad for it. Why would you ever want to have something on your feet for yoga? Is your mat suddenly going to grow broken beer bottles and thistles on it (if so I think we have a new winter skin conditioning exercise)? Silly people and their fear of barefeet.

I wonder if Nike has a real minimalist shoe in development?

ajb, I've seen some of the

ajb, I've seen some of the toe-sock companies that have versions for Yoga. They have non-slip treads on the bottom. I've never done Yoga, so I just figured people could get blisters or something. Maybe there's a new kind of Yoga that incorporates ballet? ;-)

I think the fear comes from

I think the fear comes from the fact that most people don't bring their own mats to the gym, so if you take a class, you end up with a mat that everyone else has used. Puke! I always brought my own mat. If they're doing Yoga on a slippery floor, then that might be someone else's fear.

And Sicko, er uh, I mean, PB, you wouldn't want to wear those on top of tender feet (hot spots, etc.) then tear them off. YIKES! Perhaps you could use an oil or soak them off for a while, but that's just an added pain, not worth the effort.

ok ew sharing mats? Yeah I'd

ok ew sharing mats? Yeah I'd be bringing footwear too. Well scratch that I'd just bring my own mat, but I understand people wanting to cover their feet if they are going to. Of course I'd be far more worried about my hands in that case but still.

I don't see what's so gross

I don't see what's so gross about shared mats.

At my gym we can spray the mats with a cleaning solution to sanitize them. Even if the mat is dirty I would worry more about the rest of my body being in contact with it that my feet. In particular, I wash my hands at the end of the class and shower shortly after.

In all martial art classes people work on the same mat and I don't think they have a lot of issues.

Now Nike should just glue their "second skins" on a good sock, or give instructions to glue/unglu/reglue them to socks and we're in business.

People are getting weirder

People are getting weirder then ever about germs.

Last week I was at a holiday party and thought nothing about the bowl of nuts having a small serving spoon sitting in it.

I just thought it was a fancy touch, but yesterday we were at another and every bowl of nuts also had a serving spoon.

Most of the people I met (all new to me) readily shook hands, but I've met all too many this year that either fist bump or elbow touch out of germaphobia.

Tonight's party will be heavy on the air kisses, and I know for a fact that bowls of nuts had been hand-friendly in prior years. It will be interesting to see if a classy spoon makes it debut this time.

I'm terrified of catching

I'm terrified of catching things at the gym. And yes I'm more worried about my hands in general than I am my feet. I read an paper by an athletic society talking about all the skin infections the gyms are spreading to athletes. I think two of the big ones are MRSA and ring worm. I wipe down everything I use before and after with about a gallon of the disinfectant and I've considered bringing my own with me because sometimes I don't think they mix it nearly strong enough to make me comfortable. Ugg and there are so many people who don't wipe down mats and machines after they use them icky. Or my favorite the ones who wipe down the machine with the towels they've been wiping their sweaty grossness with.

I'm in general not a germaphobe at all, but the gym is the one place everyone seems to let normal hygiene slide so I tend to treat everything like its going to give me something nasty because it probably could.

That is so so so so weird.

That is so so so so weird. I'm not a gym person...I got all my equipment, weights, and yoga stuff at home. Gyms seem pretty dang gross.

Those Nike foot-wraps seem interesting but irrelevant to us freaks who encounter everything with bare feet. I admit it. I've stepped in goose poop on a run. I thought it was more funny than anything, and washed promptly when I got home.

Board, I saw a program on a

Board, I saw a program on a health show about the germs in the nut bowl at a bar. They found there were more bacteria in the nut bowl than the public toilet in the men's room at the same bar. It was pretty dang grodie. I hope your party has a special spoon for the nut bowl, but more importantly, I hope everyone uses it. But then everyone touches the handle of the spoon...

Barefoot TJ wrote: Board, I

Barefoot TJ said:
Board, I saw a program on a health show about the germs in the nut bowl at a bar. They found there were more bacteria in the nut bowl than the public toilet in the men's room at the same bar. It was pretty dang grodie. I hope your party has a special spoon for the nut bowl, but more importantly, I hope everyone uses it. But then everyone touches the handle of the spoon...

My students did an experiment once where they grew bacteria from all different locations. Including bathrooms, mop buckets. floors, drinking fountain their own skin ect..... The number one grower on all plates that tried it was their cell phone and vending machine buttons. I thought that experiment was going to make me never want to drink from a fountain again but the drinking fountain was even cleaner than the personal water bottles.

Hmm maybe nike can make second skins for our hands instead. Could me more useful for protection purposes.

ajb422 wrote:Barefoot TJ

ajb422 said:
Barefoot TJ said:

My students did an experiment once where they grew bacteria from all different locations. Including bathrooms, mop buckets. floors, drinking fountain their own skin ect..... The number one grower on all plates that tried it was their cell phone and vending machine buttons. I thought that experiment was going to make me never want to drink from a fountain again but the drinking fountain was even cleaner than the personal water bottles.

Hmm maybe nike can make second skins for our hands instead. Could me more useful for protection purposes.

This is all kind of misleading.

A lot of it has to do with the kind of material - porcelain (the stuff toilets are made of) is not very porous, and the bacteria get flushed down. HOWEVER, if there is a disease causing microbe, that's where it will be hanging out because people use those toilets for pooping and puking. There are a lot of pathogens that cause someone to need to run to the can!

You will always find bacteria on "real" food - like nuts. HOWEVER, the overwhelming majority of them are non-disease causing bacteria that fell there and are "eating" on the food, too. I'm not surprised about the nut bowl.

Vending machine buttons, door handles, shared keyboards and phones - definitely wash your hands before eating and after using those. Because do you know what's on people's hands? People's poo. Seriously - people do NOT wash their hands effectively after using the bathroom. It's nasty.

Regarding my bare feet, MRSA is the only thing I'm worried about. I often change in the gym, and we've had it there. Once outside, the UV will do a pretty good job of practically sterilizing the road. Any poop germs... well, the vast majority of those need to get into your mouth to make you sick, so don't eat with your feet.

Board - I'm terrified of potlucks. Improperly stored food, hands everywhere, people sneezing on the food... it's part of the reason that people so often get sick in December and January. Parties with food.

Silly C for the very reason

Silly C for the very reason you pointed out at the end that experiment isn't misleading (well for that reason, the slightly misleading thing about it is that alot of bacteria don't actually like to grow on plates so the other ones could have more bacteria but just the sort that doesn't grow on our agar. However that topic is even more off topic than this thread already got...sorry). The bacteria we are finding on cell phones, water bottles, in nut bowls ect.... probably got their from peoples hands. Which got there from people's fecal matter, eyes, and nose. Especially in the case of MRSA the nose is dangerous since when dormant it actually lives in your nasal cavity. Not only are most toilets made from non-porous material but they get washed alot. When's the last time that toilet seat was washed? Probably this morning. When's the last time you washed your waterbottle? probably yesterday or at maybe even the day before. Whens the last time you washed your cell phone? Yeah most likely never.

This is totally exemplified in some tests done on soda fountains. They discovered that in many of them there are an abundance of bacteria that originated from human digestive tracks. How'd it get there? People don't wash their hands well, it gets on their refillable waterbottles, they refill them at the fountains and the bacteria have a nice new place to live. Luckily turns out the bacteria that love the soda fountains weren't actually harmful to people but its still sort of grody.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test