Happy 3rd Birthday BRS!

cake-with-3-candles-hi2.png
Happy Birthday Barefoot Runners Society!!!!
You are 3 years old today!

Please take some time to reflect on what this past year has been like for you (at the BRS, with your running, the friendships you've developed through the BRS, etc.), and let us know what the BRS means to you.

I will go first. The BRS means a lot to me, only because it means so much to you all. I wouldn't do this day in and day out if I didn't know I was helping others to find a healthier way to run, and therefore, a healthier way to live.

We had one or two bumps in the road this past year but nothing we couldn't handle, right? We went through a period of much needed cleansing and came out better and stronger than ever. It hasn't stopped us, and we continue to grow everyday. Currently, we have 4,786 registered members and 5,986 Facebook fans! We have a new site, a new address, a new logo, and a new color scheme. The new site is sweet! She looks better than ever and runs better than ever. We receive so many compliments from the members on our new digs. To further enhance our home, we have just implemented a long awaited, long-in development module(s) that opens the lines of communication between our leaders/mentors and our members even more, interfaces directly with our Calendar of Events, and allows each chapter to be able to function as its own private social group (similar to Facebook, but much better) keeping their calendar events, notices, and communications more personalized to the group as well as continue to provide a forum feel. Because of this, we now expect to grow even more...and we look forward to it!

Kate Kift, Jamie Lee, Jason Robillard, and I thank each of you for your contributions, large and small. It all counts!

Okay, now it's your turn to get cheesy!

I'm still so new here, but I'll say that I never thought I would have so much fun on a forum! I have visited a few others briefly for other interests, but none of them drew me in like this one. I appreciate everyone that I've had a chance to read comments from or have conversations with.

Happy Birthday, BRS! As another relative newcomer to both the sport and the BRS, I have to say that both are equally awesome! Kudos to you, TJ, and to all those behind the scenes who help keep the site functional and, more importantly, fun. A nicer, more helpful, and downright funny group of people I've yet to meet. Best wishes for another successful year!

I am not one to get that involved in forums, but this one sucked me in. I started off in minimalist shoes, and have ended up running barefoot because of the great people on here. I have been inspired, encouraged, and gotten much advice and ideas from you all. There are so many great discussions, and whether people agree or disagree, I have learned so much from everyone. Thanks BRS!

Reactions: happysongbird
I am not one to get that involved in forums, but this one sucked me in. I started off in minimalist shoes, and have ended up running barefoot because of the great people on here. I have been inspired, encouraged, and gotten much advice and ideas from you all. There are so many great discussions, and whether people agree or disagree, I have learned so much from everyone. Thanks BRS!

I wanted to chime in on this point. Rare is it that so many folks on the internet can get on as well as we do. I post on a bicycle-related forum and lurk on a rock-climbing forum and sometimes they get contentious if not downright disrespectful (so many tough guys in cyberspace). Here, while we might disagree or get on each others nerves (Lomad can get so pissy) we're all sort of happy to see each other. For that matter, while we are technically The Barefoot Runners Society, we welcome everyone, even if we can't see their feet.

Maybe because we're all weirdo's. Maybe it's because Great Minds Think Alike and Fools Seldom Differ.

Doesn't matter - I do enjoy being here.

Happy Birthday, BRS.

Hahahaha Lomad can get so pissy! Ha! That's hysterical. And of course, he will see the humor in it.

Reactions: NickW
I'm not a big forum poster kinda guy, but I have been a barefoot runner for over 12 years, and I must say I enjoy this forum immensely.
There is a tremendous amount of knowledge and experience to be found here, not to mention a great dose of humor. It's nice to know there are so many other wacky folks out there running barefoot and enjoying life. Definite props to TJ and the rest of the group that keep this site up and running (heh!) and give us all a place to "kick off our shoes" and hang out!

Happy Birthday BRS!

I love that the people on here have truly made me feel at home. It can be intimidating to be "the new guy" but I've never felt that way at all.