Half baked idea

Matt

Barefooters
Apr 3, 2010
I'm trying to get this idea out of my mind, but it's tough.

Today I ran across a give-away for a free entry to the Chicago Half Marathon.

The only problem is that I'm not anywhere near half shape, and it's in a little over 2 weeks.

The most I've run recently is about 5 or 6 miles. So here's my plan (just in case I win and receive a free entry):
  • Go for 7 to 8 miles 8/29.
  • Attempt at least 10 miles 9/5.
  • Cross my fingers that the rush of a race will get me through 13.1 on 9/12.
I've heard and read about people doing a full marathon on little or no training. Can a half be out of the question?

Any thoughts?

Sure why not? I ran a half

Sure why not? I ran a half after only training with a 7 mile long run. Didn't do too badly either. As long as you are in decent shape I don't really think you need "training" for half.

I don't believe that mileage

I don't believe that mileage increase meets with the 10% Rule. But hey, you've been doing this for awhile now. I would think if you are feeling healthy after your 10 mile run, then you should be good to go. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

I am a firm beliver in the

I am a firm beliver in the Janine's Rule of Halfsies - if you have run up to half the distance, you can finish the whole cannoli (only up to half marathon distance). You may not like it, but you can do it.

Abide -- I like hearing

Abide -- I like hearing that.

TJ -- Definitely more than 10%, but it would be for a short duration. I would definitely cut way back in mileage the weeks following the race.

Jschwab -- I'll make a mental note of Janine's Rules of Halfsies. I think that is similar to the Matt's Weekly Distance Rule -- if your weekly distance is at least the distance of your planned race, then you can do the race. However, this rule is mostly untested.

Well then, we will need you

Well then, we will need you to step up and test it, Matt. ;-)

TJ -- The test didn't go so

TJ -- The test didn't go so well this morning, at least in terms of getting ready for a Half. The heat and humidity had returned, and I sweated out slightly less than 7 miles. I think my feet and body are telling me that the Half will have to wait until a later date.

At least you are listening to

At least you are listening to your body and not trying to push through.

Wendy -- It's funny that you

Wendy -- It's funny that you mentioned walking. Yesterday I went back and looked at some of my running logs from a year and two years ago. I saw that I was doing more of a Galloway approached to running back then. Running, with regular walk breaks. For some reason, over the last several months, I've stopped doing walk breaks like I used to, or if I do them, they are a lot less frequent, and shorter than they were in the past.

So this week, I'm going to revive the Galloway approach and see how that goes. It also looks like next Sunday is supposed to be a lot cooler and less humid than yesterday.

My main concern is whether or not my feet can hold up for 13.1 miles. That's the big question in my mind at the moment. I know I could resort to aquasocks or racing flats, but those would probably present a different set of challenges, especially given that I have worn anything on my feet running since back in early March.

I think reason finally took

I think reason finally took over and I abandoned the idea of a half on the 12th. However, I realize that my body is telling me it wants to stretch out my long run into new territory. So I'm aiming to do at least 11 miles within the next 2 to 4 weeks. 11 would be a new personal best. I can always do a half later in the fall or next spring.

Matt, at least you're

Matt, at least you're listening to your body now, which will allow you to keep running and run that half later.

TJ -- That's probably one of

TJ -- That's probably one of the HUGE advantages of barefoot running. I'm forced to listen to my body whether I want to or not.

During today's run, my feet told me in strong words that just under 9 miles was my limit. Chances are good that next Sunday my limit will be another mile or two longer than that, but if not, my feet will let me know.

My 2 cents is that anytime

My 2 cents is that anytime you are pushing your boundries as far as you were thinking, you just need to make sure that your Top Number One No Compromises Goal is to come out of it at least as healthy as you were going into it. (This is why I DNF'd my first marathon back in the before-time, with shoes. It was a bad, bad outcome, but if I had tried to finish, I'd probably never have run again.) Just a thought to remember if there's a next time, although it sounds like you've decided that patience & a definite finish is better.