Haile Retires!

I do recall (but alas cannot

I do recall (but alas cannot now find) an article where he was quoted as saying that he had started to do mid-foot to slight heel strike. Just as you suggest, Blind Boy, it was less an intentional strategy than a consequence of the marathon tempo. Here is a video of him, clearly heal striking: www.youtube.com/watch

But, there is still the issue of the shoes. In his 10km races on the track, he is wearing track shoes--i.e. no padding to speak of. In his marathon and half-marathons, he is wearing normal running shoes, or perhaps a racing flat. Either way, they are still well-padded compared to track shoes. I have always thought they look funny on him, because they are so oversized compared to his skinny calves.* He obviously over-pronates in the video (above). As we know, over-pronation is not an issue for forefoot runners, only for heal strikers. But, did those shoes perhaps corrupt that perfect form, by allowing him to start heal striking, and thus allowing the over-pronation to become an issue?

We barefoot runners would like to think so, but on some level, it's crazy for us to speculate about it (even though I kinda started it). This is a guy who runs 30-40 km before breakfast, and then again before dinner. And he says in the interview that he had been training hard for NY. I'd like to know what training hard means for him.

I stand by my wish that he would reconsider his retirement. I'd like to see him set yet another record. But, he is doing good things for Ethopia. Maybe it is time for him to move on.

Cheers to a great career!

*By the way, studies have shown that proportionally small calf muscles are the only significant difference in the physiology of elite east African runners. Thus, they have less weight in the lower leg that they have to swing around. All other things, like body height, weight, overall length of leg etc. are similar (proportionally speaking) as the elite Europeans, Americans or Asias.

I think his choice of shoes

I think his choice of shoes in the video makes him seem like a heel striker. AdiZeros aren't flat, "his" models have at least a centimeter of rise in the heel so a perfect mid-foot landing would become a heel strike in those shoes.

So skinny calved people are

So skinny calved people are faster or better runners than us fat legged folks? No wonder I am so slow!

I don't get it, J. What do you mean? That Haile got a flight to NYC, but a Tarahumara would have to run?

I still would like to know if he feels pain when he runs barefoot or if his pain diminishes at all or if it stays the same. Just would be neat to know.

Yup, that's what the

Yup, that's what the research said. I, too, have big calves. One of my cycling buddies always told me that they intimidated him.

But, the idea is that we have more weight at the end of our pendulum, and that weight has to be swung forward somehow.

The way to optimize it, apparently, is to have a good, high lift. That way the pendulum is dramatically shortened, and can be moved easier. I find though, that this only works in a race when I am going really fast. Also, the problem is that the chicken leg types (as my skinny calved brother calls himself), will also be lifting high. No way to win on that one.

Cheers to fat calves!

Paleo wrote:But, the idea is

Paleo said:
But, the idea is that we have more weight at the end of our pendulum, and that weight has to be swung forward somehow.

Does a barefoot runner with big calves swing more or less weight than chicken leg guy wearing heavy shoes?

Sloure, all else being equal

Sloure, all else being equal with the shoe and the extra muscle weighing the same the shoe would be worse. The further out on the pendulum the weight is, the harder it'll be to move.

I meant sitting on an

I meant sitting on an airplane is probably worse for your knees than any amount of running at any speed :)

I have big calves but skinny thighs (like, REALLY skinny thighs). I wonder if that makes it worse?

Haile's efficiency may have

Haile's efficiency may have to do with the length or amount of tendon he has packed into his legs.

In the 2004 paper by Bramble & Leibermen there is a diagram comparing chimps and Homo E. The length of the achilles is significantly longer in the homo E when compared to the chimp.

http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~skeleton/pdfs/2004e.pdf

He is essentially a barefoot runner, that is his greatest advantage. Then throw in a high calve muscle and a long tendon for energy storage and elastic recoil and you have one of the worlds greatest runner.

My guess is that if we had run 20k a day barefoot of the first 20 years of our lives we may have developed legs just like Haile's.

Just a guess

So you're saying if I was a

So you're saying if I was a runner from the get-go and gung-ho about it, I could have legs like Haile? Why didn't my momma tell me this?

Ok my last post sounded

Ok my last post sounded off.

If people run barefoot until they were 20 before putting shoes on, their legs would most likely have different bone structure and muscle development. I was getting this line of thinking from a 2004 lecture by Liebermen in which he talked about significant changes to the human body due to environmental stresses.

http://forum-network.org/lecture/human-origins-complexities-and-controversies

Yes, that's what I

Yes, that's what I understood, get-go being meaning from the beginning of life and gung-ho meaning running lots and far. :grade:

Thin calves are good?!?!?  I

Thin calves are good?!?!? I guess I better stop doing all the weighted calve raises to make my legs look like those smoked turkey legs from the state fair...thin at the bottom, big and meaty at the top :)

I get compliments on my

I get compliments on my calves from all the skinny-legged ladies (as they pass me). People like the look, but I think any extra weight on your legs does more to slow you down than anything.

You cant run at the level

You cant run at the level Haile has run at forever. As most of you know he ran barefoot all through his childhood, he's been running hard for a long time.
We are only human. Haile was one of the greatest!

Lucky for us, Haile has

Lucky for us, Haile has called off his retirement!

www.nytimes.com/2010/11/16/sports/16runner.html

Somehow I figured he rethink it.

Maybe we can get him out of those shoes, so that he won't kill his knees further
wink.png

Dear Haile,We would like to

Dear Haile,

We would like to tell you of how happy we all were to hear that you reconsidered your retirement. You are a model and hero for many of us. Your history of world records is second to none and the way that you have carried yourself on and off the competitive arena is a light that shines for runners all over the world.

As members of the international Barefoot Runners Society we have followed your career and rejoice in the fact that your running voyage started, barefoot. We can not help but wonder if your current knee injury is not due to the shoes that your sponsor has you wearing. We hope that you consider this and would all like to wish you many more years of good health and happy running.

Much love,

The Barefoot Runners Society

So what do y'all think? Should we send it to him?

Yes, please send it

Yes, please send it immediately. No time to waste!

I had a feeling he would rethink that.

The only access I have to him

The only access I have to him is his Twitter account. His tweets sound like his words but someone from his sponsor may or may not be handling that for him. Someone here must know the friend of a friend of a friend kind of thing no?

Probably not.  Still worth a

Probably not. Still worth a try to plant a little bug in his ear.