Had an interesting conversation about BF running

Shaun Mac

Barefooters
Aug 12, 2011
Was out of town for the weekend, and decided to go to the local Snap Fitness to run on the treadmill, never been in this gym before. Was in there running away in my bare feet, got a few stares.

There was an older gentleman running a few machines down from me. After he was done he came over to my machine and asked me how the barefoot running was going. He seemed real interested. So I told him my story, about my chronic injuries, about transitioning, about how well it's working for me.

He then mentioned he was interested because he is a podiatrist at the local clinic. Wound up talking to this guy for about 5 minutes while I was running away. He was interested in my foot strike, and watched my feet as I ran. He said he really didn't know too much about BF running. It was a pretty good conversation if I do say so.

Nice! Hopefully you maybe

Nice! Hopefully you maybe helped shape his opinion in a more positive way. I have a podiatrist in my math class who likes to argue, in a good way, with me about barefooting. He's slowly coming around and is at least more open to barefooting than he was. He found Dr Liebermans study and paper and my own personal experience very interesting.

Very cool!

Very cool!

Another "teach by example." 

Another "teach by example." Loves it!

I had a very short

I had a very short conversation on my run last Saturday. A nice looking lady riding a bike toward me called out as she passed "I like your feet!" I almost slowed down to hear where she might have taken it from there. Ah,well...

Dreaming!

Dreaming!

NickW wrote:  I have a

NickW said:
I have a podiatrist in my math class .....

Why is the podiatrist in your math class?

Apparently he is going back

Apparently he is going back to school. He's trying to get some other degree, not sure what, something to do with music I think...

NickW wrote:Apparently he is

NickW said:
Apparently he is going back to school. He's trying to get some other degree, not sure what, something to do with music I think...

I always knew orthotic's were the podiatrist's bread & butter, but I did'nt think the barefoot/minimalist movement had made that much of a difference in such a short time!

Hahaha, actually Board I

Hahaha, actually Board I think he is just really into music, like Bethoven(sp?) and Bach. When listening to him talk it's like his passion is music and podiatry was more just for that secure job. He's been doing podiatry for 15-20 years I think and I think he is bored and just working on the music stuff in his free time with night classes. Nice guy once he realized I'm not just some nutcase barefoot evangelist.

Practicing for 15-20 years?

Practicing for 15-20 years? Back in undergrad classes? A relative n00b.

Check out THIS podiatrist!

http://www.podiatrym.com/search3.cfm?id=22684

Ninety-four-year-old Edward Pintzuk is enrolled in a history class this fall, making him the oldest student ever to attend classes at Oakland University. While fellow classmates are taking classes to earn enough credits to graduate, Pintzuk is in class for one reason: to expand his knowledge. “I also wanted to see if I could hack it,” he added. “I’m enjoying the class and I’m learning what I was looking for.”

Dr. Edward Pintzuk

A lifelong learner, Pintzuk earned a doctorate in podiatric medicine in 1950, and practiced medicine in the Detroit area for 30 years before retiring. He became the oldest person to earn a doctorate from Wayne State University (WSU) when he earned a Ph.D. in history in 1993 at the age of 79. Pintzuk taught as an adjunct instructor for a special program in WSU’s Labor Studies Center, until funding ended four years ago.

Pintzuk was born in Philadelphia and moved to Michigan in 1950. He currently lives in a retirement community in West Bloomfield. His wife of 68 years, Reba, was “one of the best sculptors in the region,” said Pintzuk. After her death in April, he started playing his clarinet again and recently began taking refresher lessons.

Now there is dedication to

Now there is dedication to learning something new every day. ;-)

When reading about the pod

When reading about the pod in the music class I immediately recalled the story of the nonagenarian doc/historian/instructor/musician/student. He hails from our local community, and our youngest is currently a senior at the university the podiatrist was enrolled in for the history class. I attended undergrad at the university he earned his PhD at. If he's still around, I'd love to meet him. Hope the venue agreed upon is barefoot friendly!