Guests?

Chaserwilliams

Barefooters
Dec 15, 2010
It seems that everytime I get on here theres a few users on, but theres ALWAYS more guests than there are users. This leads me to think a few things about Barefoot running...

Option A is that its alot more popular than many of us believe it to be. Right now theres 11 members on, and 17 guests! 17! And Ive seen the number go a whole lot higher than that. At times the amount of guests has doubled and nearly tripled the number of registered users. So theres alot of people out there that are either very interested in BFR, or are currently running BF but dont have anything to say about it.

OR.....

Theres a massive gathering of anti BF runners lying in wait till the time is right to spring upon us, feast from off of our souls, and then rob of of $140 for some new Nike Frees. Their using the anomynity of the "guest" title to gain intelligence, and the upperhand on us so that when the time comes they will be able to strike with a vengance! Luckily, for us, we will be able to survive because when the foot chase ensues, their rolled ankles and shin splints will leave them icing and replacing orthotics while we continue about out way to a safe refuge. That is, of course, unless theres broken glass on the road... Or if your a newb then the mad dash and the distance that may be required could result in a TMTS injury, in which case you will need to rely on your supreme hand to hand contact techniques to overcome the shod opponent.

Chaserwilliams wrote:It seems

Chaserwilliams said:
It seems that everytime I get on here theres a few users on, but theres ALWAYS more guests than there are users. This leads me to think a few things about Barefoot running... Option A is that its alot more popular than many of us believe it to be. Right now theres 11 members on, and 17 guests! 17! And Ive seen the number go a whole lot higher than that. At times the amount of guests has doubled and nearly tripled the number of registered users. So theres alot of people out there that are either very interested in BFR, or are currently running BF but dont have anything to say about it. OR..... Theres a massive gathering of anti BF runners lying in wait till the time is right to spring upon us, feast from off of our souls, and then rob of of $140 for some new Nike Frees. Their using the anomynity of the "guest" title to gain intelligence, and the upperhand on us so that when the time comes they will be able to strike with a vengance! Luckily, for us, we will be able to survive because when the foot chase ensues, their rolled ankles and shin splints will leave them icing and replacing orthotics while we continue about out way to a safe refuge. That is, of course, unless theres broken glass on the road... Or if your a newb then the mad dash and the distance that may be required could result in a TMTS injury, in which case you will need to rely on your supreme hand to hand contact techniques to overcome the shod opponent.

I believe it is clearly the latter of the two options, or just a bunch of zombies that can't figure out how they got here or how to intentionally get out.

.....Damn zombies.

.....Damn zombies.

I've seen it get up to 60 -

I've seen it get up to 60 - 90 guests at one time and 30 online around August and September, perhaps the warmest months of interest for most regions. We get approximately 2 million hits per month and 25,000 unique visitors.

On our BETA site, right now, we have pretty high numbers of readers over there too, and that URL is bogus and makes no sense, but they're finding it and reading all the old posts migrated from this site to it; the only fresh data over there are all the many BETA threads/conversations taking place about developing the new site. Warms my fuzzy little heart.

Barefoot TJ wrote:On our

Barefoot TJ said:
On our BETA site, right now, we have pretty high numbers of ZOMBIES over there too, and that URL is bogus and makes no sense, but they're finding it and MANAGING TO OPEN all the old posts migrated from this site to it IN THEIR ATTEMPTS TO GET OUT. Warms my fuzzy little heart THAT WE WERE ABLE TO CATCH SO MANY.

FYP :)

Nevertheless, Chaser's

Nevertheless, Chaser's original observation is interesting, and TJ, well, that's just strange. Oh what people will do with a appeal to novelty.

what i wonder is if there are

what i wonder is if there are so many registered users, why only the same few people posting? there has to be funnier people out there than chaser, jonny, and me. i know there are more abrasive people than ram.

so, where is the participation? you know, it's ok to drink and post if that helps.

People are shy...unlike you.

People are shy...unlike you.

...who probably should be.

...who probably should be.

migangelo wrote:what i

migangelo said:
what i wonder is if there are so many registered users, why only the same few people posting? there has to be funnier people out there than chaser, jonny, and me. i know there are more abrasive people than ram.

so, where is the participation? you know, it's ok to drink and post if that helps.

Another question to pose is, how many people are reading material without being logged in even though they have accounts? I know I am in that group from time to time.

TJ, how many registered members do we have?

The number of registered

The number of registered members is located at the bottom of the main list of forums/forums page, almost 4,000 now.

And yes A, a lot of

And yes A, a lot of registered members don't log in but read the site.

Barefoot TJ wrote:The number

Barefoot TJ said:
The number of registered members is located at the bottom of the main list of forums/forums page, almost 4,000 now.

Ya-ha, I've got it now. I see your plan to keep me in the dark... Get me to learn this site and then switch over to a new one. ;-)

It's a common internet

It's a common internet phenomanan. For any one registered user on any given forum there are 4 unregistered lurkers.

OK I just made that up but it sounds cool.

Polar wrote:For any one

Polar said:
For any one registered user on any given forum there are 4 unregistered lurkers.

That just makes it sound so.... dirty. It reminds me of my grade school days...

Polar wrote:It's a

Polar said:
It's a common internet phenomanan. For any one registered user on any given forum there are 4 unregistered lurkers.

OK I just made that up but it sounds cool.

The statistic might be made up, but I think this really sums it all up. I'm one of the guilty "lurkers" and my only reason for not staying logged in to read is because the forum doesn't make me do it. I log in when I have something to say, which is pretty rare, and otherwise just read. There's no reason for me to log in if I'm not posting anything anyways.

That said, I don't want that to be a plug for closing the forum to guests or making it unpleasant for folks to *not* log in. I avoid forums like that because I feel if they have something worth sharing with the public it should be shared regardless of registration. I've learned so much just from lurking here and in the other BF forum, and if the info in the forums was somehow restricted to registered users only I (and others like me) could not have benefitted as much.

Of course, I could just be one of the zombies too. We are getting better at the whole reading/writing thing. Soon we'll be organized enough to really be a menace!
bigsmile.png

TJ, believe it or not, i am

TJ, believe it or not, i am shy. i just drink alot.
drunk.png

...even now they watch you! 

...even now they watch you! Going through your old RW posts with grimy fingers, gloating and snickering while they hunch over their sweat-slippery keyboards....

We are a private club, but we

We are a private club, but we will never close our doors to the public. We will always make our materials and resources available to anyone who wants to use them. Any info we can provide to help people run safely benefits us all. So not to worry there, Jenn.