group runs?

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by neo0983, Sep 20, 2014.

1. scedastic

scedastic
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Michigan
    2. Minnesota

Depending on traffic, I'm about 1.5 hrs from the airport, maybe about an hour to the north side of Minneapolis.

Bare Lee likes this.
  2. Bare Lee

Bare Lee
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. Minnesota
    2. Presidents

Yah, that'd be a schlep. Isn't there something you can only buy in the Twin Cities that's not available in St. Cloud that could help justify the trip?

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  3. scedastic

scedastic
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Michigan
    2. Minnesota

Ikea stuff.
    Some ethnic markets. An Indian restaurant someone recommended.
    Then again..
    Hey, back in mi, I used to go 30 mi one way every single day, not counting errands and such once I got there. Now when my kids want take out from a place 15 min away I'm all "not in the mood to go THAT far." How easily we get spoiled.

Bare Lee likes this.
  4. Steve Bur

Steve Bur
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Minnesota

If I read the above correctly, this is on the 11th of Oct at 3:00 at Longfellows. I would love to join you all. 5k, 10k or whatever. I live in plymouth so it is not too far. I would look forward to meeting other barefooters.
    Steve

5. Bare Lee

Bare Lee
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. Minnesota
    2. Presidents

Sounds good Steve. I'll take that as three confirmed--you, me, and Scott--and one probable--Moose. We three can run the 5K route, Moose might run the 10K route and join us at the Longfellow later. I suggest we accommodate the pace of slowest runner, which will probably be me this time.

If Sced or anyone else will be joining, please confirm by Friday so we'll know to wait a few minutes if you're late. We'll head out when all the confirmed runners are present. I'll PM my cell phone to each confirmed runner on Friday. I'm 6'1" or 2", 248 pounds, very short hair, and will be barefooted and wearing a light blue tech shirt I think. I'll wait on the sidewalk or somewhere visible. Forecast looks good for the moment.

I ran a mile this morning and both knees felt fine. I'll run 2-3 miles tomorrow morning and see how I do, but I would imagine the worst case scenario at this point is that I have to stop and walk the last bit if my knee issue reappears. In that case, I'll just catch up to you folks 10-15 minutes later at the grill.

scedastic likes this.
  6. scedastic

scedastic
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Michigan
    2. Minnesota

Ima try if I can find something to do with my kids. Would it be ok if I had them do something while we ran, then take them out with us after? They're older (9 and 11),generally not annoying, and think going to a brew pub with mom is a fun afternoon out. :D

And Lee, I call slowest runner. I will do it for you, so you don't feel bad. You're welcome.

Bare Lee likes this.
  7. Bare Lee

Bare Lee
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. Minnesota
    2. Presidents

Totally cool about the kids Sced. And thanks for calling slowest runner. I don't actually mind running so slow these days, but I can hardly wait for a month or two of consistent running to improve things a bit. I'm not looking for any ribbons, but 9mm pace and faster just feels better for my frame.

If temps are in the 50s with sun, it should be comfortable for your kids to sit with us on the patio outside.

So that's four confirmed, and Moose probable?

scedastic likes this.
  8. Kyrrinstoch

Kyrrinstoch
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Minnesota

I'll make it easy to spot me and wear my BRS shirt... :cool:

Bare Lee likes this.
  9. scedastic

scedastic
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Michigan
    2. Minnesota

Where and when exactly are we meeting for the run? at 3pm to run, or 3pm is when we are done, and at what location precisely??? Never been to that area and want to plan some pre-run ikea torment.

Bare Lee likes this.
  10. Bare Lee

Bare Lee
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. Minnesota
    2. Presidents

Let's meet at the Longfellow Grill and end up there as well. I think that simplifies things. From Ikea it's pretty easy to drive up to the River Rd/Minnehaha Falls area, and then continue on the river road to Lake, or just drive up Cedar to Lake and head east, but best Google or GPS it for directions. Allow about 15-20 minutes for the drive as you part ways with particle boardland (all my bookcases are from there).

Just ran another two miles so I'm at least good for that. Still a little feeling of pressure in my right knee, but it's definitely on the mend.

Oh yeah, good idea! I think I have one from 2012.

scedastic likes this.
  11. Bare Lee

Bare Lee
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. Minnesota
    2. Presidents

Neo, I tried to include you in a conversation, but it's not letting me. Anyway, we're meeting at Longfellow Grill tomorrow (10/11) at 3pm. It would be great if you could join us, especially since this thing started with your post.

12. Bare Lee

Bare Lee
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. Minnesota
    2. Presidents

Great to have met you all! I think if we schedule it for Saturday afternoons, around 3pm again, with a built-in bevvy break afterwards, we could make this a semi-regular thing. Or at least a seasonal event, like in the middle or start of each season. Lemme know what you think.

All the best, Bare Lee

Barefoot TJ likes this.
  13. Kyrrinstoch

Kyrrinstoch
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Minnesota

Agreed. i'd love to get together with you guys again. that 3.5 miles went by very quickly and the company afterwards was quite enjoyable :)

Lee, let me know how i can help set something similar up.

14. Bare Lee

Bare Lee
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. Minnesota
    2. Presidents

Maybe we could try something in a month, then switch to the seasonal plan, and meet sometime over winter, assuming that this year we get a bit of a mid-winter thaw? I think with a seasonal plan, we might get a more regular turnout. Seems like monthly meet-ups tend to peter out over time. But if enough people are up for monthly meet-ups, that's fine too.

As for locales, the only real criteria, as far as I'm concerned, is that it is pleasant, doable for veterans and newbies alike, and has some kind of beverage dispensary nearby. If possible, we could have two Saturdays in mind, and then as the dates approach, choose the one with the best forecast. Whadaya think?

And please, Kyrrinstoch or anyone else should feel free to initiate this. Don't take the whole president thing seriously.