group runs?

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by neo0983, Sep 20, 2014.

1. neo0983

neo0983
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Minnesota

Is there any interest in having group runs like we used to do? It seems like after cp left the group everything fell to the wayside. Lyle, sky, and a few others tried to hold the group together but it seems to me like the chapter has been dormant for at least the last 2 years.

Bare Lee likes this.
  2. paulbeales

paulbeales
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. United Kingdom

Hi Neo,

Minnesota had a team of 5 in the August Toes on Roads competition, but Lee seems to be running on his own in the September competition? Lee took over as Chapter President earlier this year, but he said at the time that he would not be able to organise group runs. It would be great if you could get group runs started again. Good luck!

Paul

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    Bare Lee and scedastic like this.
  3. scedastic

scedastic
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Michigan
    2. Minnesota

I would be game but I'm not close. St. Cloud.

paulbeales likes this.
  4. Bare Lee

Bare Lee
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. Minnesota
    2. Presidents

As President, I would be happy to adopt a federalist model of government and delegate substantial powers to others. If anyone wants to organize a group run, please feel free. Consider me more of a figurehead or CIA puppet, like the Chocolate King of Kiev.

I tend to run early in the morning or at the end of the afternoon, when most poeple are still working, so group runs would be difficult for me, but maybe something on a Saturday or Sunday if it was early enough. However, my running has been crap lately as I've been working through a mysteriously sore MCL. So I wouldn't be able to participate until this niggle clears up. Just tried three miles -- knee started getting sore at about one and a half miles, walked the second half.

paulbeales likes this.
  5. paulbeales

paulbeales
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. United Kingdom

Sorry to hear about the knee Lee. Hope it clears up soon

Bare Lee likes this.
  6. Kyrrinstoch

Kyrrinstoch
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Minnesota

I'd be up for a regular group run. I'm still fairly new to BFR (my first season), so between that and an ongoing ITB issue, I'm not running any serious distances or going for speed.

If you guys are up for something that caters to all levels and preferably on weekends, I'd be in.

paulbeales and Bare Lee like this.
  7. Bare Lee

Bare Lee
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. Minnesota
    2. Presidents

Thanks Paul. I ran a mile this morning, no problem. I'll add a little bit to it tomorrow. I'm hoping more regular massaging and stretching will do the trick.

paulbeales likes this.
  8. Barefoot Dama

Barefoot Dama
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Minnesota
    2. Iowa
    3. México

Don't be he never learns:D

9. Steve Modica

Steve Modica
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Minnesota

I run in Inver Grove Heights. If anyone runs down in that area, I'd be game to meet up. Or I could drive somewhere on a weekend.
    I ran 5015 miles last year. 2500 or so in VIbrams, 2500 barefoot. Jan, Feb, Nov and Dec were all treadmill (barefoot). I'm still recovering from that. It was very hard.

10. Bare Lee

Bare Lee
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. Minnesota
    2. Presidents

Whoa Steve, that's some serious running!

How would a Saturday afternoon work for everyone? We could meet around 3pm around Marshall/Lake Bridge on the Mississippi, go for a three-mile run up to Franklin Bridge and back on the other side of the river, then have beers afterwards at the Longfellow Grill: http://www.longfellowgrill.com/hoursandlocation/

We could shoot for October sometime.

scedastic and paulbeales like this.
  11. Bare Lee

Bare Lee
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. Minnesota
    2. Presidents

Well, after a lot of massaging and stretching along with some heavy deadlifts at the end of the afternoon, I'm happy to report I ran a mile this morning at a slightly faster pace, no problem. So there!

duckfeet, scedastic and paulbeales like this.
  12. Kyrrinstoch

Kyrrinstoch
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Minnesota

This sounds like a pretty cool idea. Even people not joining in for the run would still be welcome to show up for a pint. Let me know when and I'm in :)

Bare Lee and paulbeales like this.
  13. Bare Lee

Bare Lee
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. Minnesota
    2. Presidents

Cool, I ran one mile this morning at a slightly higher pace, and the knee feels OK. When I get up to three miles I'll organize it. The loop around Marshall and Franklin bridges is around 3.5 miles. There's a loop around Marshall and Ford Parkway bridges that's 5.5, but we should do the shorter one to maximize participation. The Longfellow Grill is nice, with an outdoor patio.

paulbeales likes this.
  14. scedastic

scedastic
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Michigan
    2. Minnesota

I could try to be near the twin cities for that! Let me know.

Bare Lee likes this.
  15. Bare Lee

Bare Lee
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. Minnesota
    2. Presidents

Great! I'm going to try a run on that route soon, and see how my knee does. It would be great to have you along and finally meet you. Anyway, what's an hour's drive when you're in the Upper Midwest?

paulbeales likes this.
  16. TD Moose

TD Moose
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Minnesota

Depending on turnout, and whether there may be a group of others wanting to do a slightly longer run, I would be up for heading south down the river road to the Ford Avenue bridge and back up the other side of the river. The loop is just over a 10K. There could potentially be two groups, both leaving from and arriving near Longfellow Grill.

I'll be doing the Monster Dash on Saturday, October 25th, so, that is the one weekend day in October I know for sure would not work for me.

17. Kyrrinstoch

Kyrrinstoch
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Minnesota

If we can do it on the next couple weekends - the weather should still be reasonably good and the leaves should still be turning to make for a nice "Fall Colors Run".

Current Forecast (9/30) shows 40/42F for the lows, 50/59F for the highs for this weekend (Sat/Sun) and I'd expect similar for the 11/12th as well.

18. Bare Lee

Bare Lee
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. Minnesota
    2. Presidents

Well, with Moose wanting to do a longer run, let's not wait for me to confirm my knee's in good shape for the shorter run, and shoot for the 11th? I would say this weekend but I already have plans. Everyone can run as they please and/or just sit and enjoy the beverage of their choice. I suspect organizing barefoot runners is a little like cat-herding.

Sced, you in? Still before midterms, right?

19. Kyrrinstoch

Kyrrinstoch
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Minnesota

I'm in for the 5K loop. Not sure if I could cover the 10K loop as an ITB is issue still keeping me from much longer distances yet :(

So - Where do we all meet up? What time? How do we recognize each other (other than sans shoes...)?

20. Bare Lee

Bare Lee
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. Minnesota
    2. Presidents

Let's say 3pm outside of Longfellow Grill?
    I'll consider Kyrrinstock to have RSVP'd. We'll wait 5-10 minutes past 3pm for anyone else who RSVPs. Does that sound OK?

Ran 1.5 miles just now, knee feels fine, so I'm probably good for the 5K loop, as long as Scott and whoever else joins us is willing to put up with a slow pace. My running fitness is crap again. If the knee starts to feel sore, I'll walk and catch up with everyone at the grill.