Grondahl: Let us now praise barefoot running

RikScarce.jpg

Albany Times Union

Rik Scarce displays his minimalist running and hiking shoes after spending seven years traveling widely to research the barefoot running shoe debate among podiatrists, scientists and competitive runners. -Paul Grondahl / Times Union

AVERILL PARK — The first thing I did when I met Rik Scarce for our interview on a sunny Monday afternoon was to kick off my running shoes.

You don’t wear a pair of Asics to hear a hosanna to barefoot running.

And so, I proceeded unshod. The wooden deck felt cool and smooth beneath my soles. A slight breeze brushed my toes.

It was the third day of spring and going barefoot after a long and hard coronavirus winter had put, well, a spring in my step.

Scarce had arrayed on a table a sampling of his minimalist running shoes, from sandals to Vibram's FiveFinger running shoes that look like gorilla feet. All were thin, flat, flexible and lightweight.

The terminology includes barefoot, minimalist and natural running — variations on a theme. Its devotees see it as more of a social movement than simply a fashion choice.

To continue reading, please visit:

Albany Times Union
Rik Scarce displays his minimalist running and hiking shoes after spending seven years traveling widely to research the barefoot running shoe debate ...

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test

Latest posts