Greetings from the Netherlands, Goes to be precise, or so it goes....:)

Mickey

Barefooters
Mar 23, 2023
Nice to meet you all !

Well, here a little introduction to my journey into barefoot running. Last year i started training for a hiking holiday in Scotland (west highland way) which i would walk with a friend of mine. He already was into minimal running and hiking with Altra shoes. After I discovered there existed something like "barefoot" shoes I immediately bought them. Walking barefoot without being looked at as a bum, awesome.
With some vivobarefoot shoes on my foot I started walking, first a 5k then a 10k to max. 15k. It dawned on me, with if I take my shoes of completely ??? It was...it was..awesome, a sense of freedom and i could feel everything, feeling, feels are my fuel, no brakes on the feel train XD So with 3 months of totally barefoot walking under my belt, I discovered that the transition time needed a lot more time to be able to fully walk 35k on barefoot shoes (fully barefoot on the trail in Scotland looked insane to me) so a bought a pair of altra's for my hiking trip. It was my last pair of cushioned shoes. Continued walking barefoot till the winter came, foremost with commuting. From home to train, from the train to my work place where i wore barefoot shoes, daily a 6 to 10k.
On this holiday in Scotland my friend told me about the book born to run and barefoot running (still haven't read it). Once home, back in Holland, I started barefoot running, the OG barefoot, totally barefoot. After a couple of times I did get pain in my ancle, broke my ancle 5 year ago, including ripping the tendons in my ancle. Because of this my right ancle is a bit stiffer and less mobile. As the famous dutch football player Johan Cruijff once said, every advantage has its disadvantage and every disadvantage has its advantage. Because of my ancle I discovered that mobility is extremely important before I could develop any other injury. So... I started with ground living and flexing everything, if you can squat (as a rest position) you can run. After sometime I started running again. Never having any running experience, I started barefoot running from the beginning, also with only nasal breathing. I believe running is the only thing in my life I started doing it right from the beginning :) Nowadays I have 3 months of experience and last month I began to mix it up with some runs in my vivobarefoot shoes. Beginning with 3k with now 5k runs. The nasal breathing was frustrating in the beginning but now it is all coming together. I don't wear a watch, I don't wear headphones, I don't track my runs with any app. I practice as some would call it "caveman running". I practice running on feels, if it feels allright it's good, if i feel pain I'm doing something wrong. I already experienced the calve pain with walking in barefoot shoes....

With the looks of a caveman or viking (blond long hair and a beard and the opposite of the "typical" slender marathon physique), running most of the time barefoot, I am the visual spectacle of my hometown. I guess more people here are experiencing weird looks. But man, despite the weird looks and sometimes negative remarks, it's almost a godly experience. I experience it like a spiritual thing. Going into a playful state like a child, feeling like a toddler, including the smile and the joy of a toddler :) Looking forward to increase my mileage, start trail running on some trails close by, and buying some barefoot running sandals instead of barefoot shoes. I don't have any races in the future, I don't experience a competitive urge, I'm just curious where my feet will bring me on this wonderfull journey.

Wonderful! Welcome! I love your story.

It's true that I felt closer to God when I ran barefoot too. It is a truly lifting experience where none can compare.

I'd love to see what a blond viking looks like running barefoot. Okay, that was corny, but you've got my interest peaked...and I'm sure others here too!

Nice to hear that you also experience a spiritual dimension to barefoot running. And actually it's only the looks of a viking, a flying dutchman with long curly hair to be precise...... Are there people over here who have experience with only nasal breathing? In combination with the wim hof method and some techniques of "oxygen advantage" it feels a lot more natural to train my body to be efficient in the process of oxygen intake and outtake, to just inhaling as much air as possible.

A couple of days back I found in a episode of the rich roll podcast, the documentary 3100 run and become, there is a history of seeing running as a spiritual practice. A topic to dive into. I begin to see (barefoot) running as a way of living and as one of the forms of practice of my spirituality/religion. A nice add on bonus to my other forms of practice, but not for long before it becomes essential. :D (and a deep thinking, philosophical emoji)

Reactions: Barefoot TJ
This is the closest emoji to "deep thinking" we have: :barefoot: Ha!

I only ever experienced two runner's highs, both times barefoot, of course. Both times, I had been struggling with my run, feeling weak, exhausted, wanting to quit, but then something strange happened: with no noticeable transition the suffering ended, and I felt like I was floating just above the surface in God's presence, no exertion, no labored breathing. Both experiences were short-lived though before gravity set back in, but when it did I felt refreshed, renewed, as though I was just beginning my run. I forgot that I was even breathing at all.

Over time, once I had built up my endurance and lung strength, I never found myself breathing heavily through my mouth. My runs always involved taking in the right amount of oxygen, mostly though my nose. I think the key is to just keep developing your lung strength until you get to a point that you're not having to think about breathing at all...unless your goal is to be mindful of your breathing.