Greetings from Estonia

Gunnar

Barefooters
Jul 13, 2014
Tallinn, Estonia
I'm probably the only bf runner in Estonia, at least the only one who is racing. So heres my story.

I was pure cyclist, mostly MTB till 2009, my first run race was 2007 (23k) but real transition year was 2010, after that I’ve been pure runner. In January 2010 I got my first pairs of FF, Classic and Sprint, month later KSO

IMG_1919_zpsbd553486.jpg

(today I have 5 pairs) so I can say that all of my running history is linked to FF. After I got FF I promptly turned away from Nike, didn’t need slow careful translation time from sneakers to ff and used sneakers only 2010 and 2011 winter time, 2012 and 2013 winter I ran in FF already, so no more sneakers after 2011 winter.
I got holes to my first Classics in July 2011, during the same training run J,
FFaugud_zps365bc726.jpg
FFlapitudaugud_zpse3873133.jpg

it indicated that my running style isn’t perfect, I was sliding not stepping but didn’t care till 2012 summer when I ordered Invisible Shoes (IS), did even one 16k training but got blisters and decided to continue with FF but still my knots under IS failed after 40 day of casual use, so then I decided that I seriously need to take care of my running form. What’s better to improve running form in “barefoot shoes” than to run … barefoot. But it was meant to improve my running form, not to race barefoot.
I did my first training runs in fall 2012 (my first try was 2011 summer, 16k, got big blisters)
3novmud_zpsba53861a.jpg

but not too many because we got early winter
311664_497333970311450_195122734_n_zpsafbd73ca.jpg

and anyway it’s not wise to start first bf runs when it’s just some degrees over zero bc if feet get numb it’s hard to feel how you land and so it’s hard to improve (and you may get blisters). So I continued in 2013 spring.
First I did bf all my short 45’ – 60’ runs and from July I did all my runs bf, so 8k till 23k. All bc it felt so good and I seemed to be so fast, so I just liked it. First race was 6,5k in June, 70% asphalt and I did my pb, next one 6k trail in July, then 12k trail in August with very rough crushed stone section, 11k trail in the beginning of September and then after one summer and 4 bf races in Sept. 2.nd weekend 2013 I did … bf marathon J
So in fall 2012 I didn’t plan to race bf, then in summer 2013 I didn’t plan to run long races (I did two HM-s in ff) and there I was, Just 2 weeks before Tallinn Marathon I thought that .. what if?, then like “why not?” but I made final decision just in marathon day morning. It helped that I knew I won’t do sub 3:00 anyway, I felt as good as 2012 when I run Tallinn Marathon 3:09 (pb) and anything over 3:00 is not worth catching “by any means” so I felt relaxed. It’s 2 lap marathon, we had slippery wooden temporary bridge and fine gravel section at 19/38km and I did all of it. Sure bridge was murderous (it was wet and it will be fixed this wear) and gravel felt like needles at 38k mark but still I felt reasonably good till the end, time 3:12. Basically no blisters just hot spots under some toes and under back part of the heel (that was something new for me).
And no, it wasn’t craziest race I did bf last year, I ran Lidingöloppet (31k, world largest cc race) also 3 weeks after marathon. It was my first time, didn’t know a lot about the surface, knew that it’s not soft, it’s mostly gravel, some asphalt and a little bit grass. I thought I manage it. I did, didn’t win the silver, but next time I will but next time in FF bc doing it bf was mistake, painful mistake, very painful mistake. No, race wasn’t painful, I probably killed all signals that came from my feet before they reached my brain but after I got over finish line I could step no more. My legs were bloody from upside
2013-09-28-0280_zps0c5f1343.jpg

and I didn’t even check what they looked downside. Quickly washed legs so others wont vomit. It was just damn painful to step 300 m over grassland to my cloth bag, I did it very slowly, luckily I put my Nikes to the bag, not ff-s, I really needed that cushion. But it wasnt problem to run another 11k asphalt race week later, in ff oc.
Lidingoumlloppetijaumlrgne_zpsa57c4983.jpg

Long story short – after 2 month the fresh skin was covering probably 65% of my soles and so I needed to thicken it from zero again this year.

My photos:
http://www.sportfoto.com/ee-et/gunnar kingo
My results:
http://www.sportos.eu/ee/et/gunnar kingo
My marathons:
Stockholm ‘11, Tallinn ’12 and ‘13, Roma ‘14, Vienna ‘13

Didn’t finish NY ’11 marathon after 15k due to injury, pain behind toes, both legs,
1a0a7fee-98c6-4ec2-90d0-1678382b2fe2_zpsf3cfffe1.jpg
my podiatrist gave diagnose: flat transverse arch, i.e very wide feet, never run again or with very well supporting shoes ... NYM still has my 1k, 1 mile, 3k, 3 mile 5k pb in endomondo J

I managed to do it all during the first bf summer, short runs, fast runs, easy runs, rough runs, marathon and I'm still the fastest ff and bf runner in Estonia. Whats next? Its even sad.

Reactions: Phil Hart
Hi Gunnar and welcome. Sorry to hear your problem. I am sure someone here will be able to advise you

I don't have problems any more, I couldn't run 3 month after NY maraton attempt but pain didnt come back next spring nor after. Probably overtraining, too much too fast, but I did my HM 1:24 (pb) that summer also , that was awesome, haven't done under 1:27 since. Chiropractic cured my right leg with acupuncture and kinesiotaping in june-july 2011 but just day before NY marathon my right leg failed with exact same symptoms, bad timing. With that I lost my only real chance to run sub 3:00 marathon.

Ah, OK. I misunderstood Gunnar. I thought you were still injured.

In that case, welcome Gunnar and happy running! :)

Paul

Welcome! A nice young girl from Estonia knocked at my door to sell books just the other day.

Sounds like although you had a bad experience with a barefoot marathon you haven't sworn off running barefoot.

Welcome Gunnar! I broke a sweat just reading your intro. Whew! That was harrowing!

I am deeply impressed by your commitment to running in general, and to sticking with BFR despite pain and setbacks. Good on ya!!

Hey, I believe the job of Estonian BRS Chapter President is open.

Welcome! A nice young girl from Estonia knocked at my door to sell books just the other day.

Ha, I did it in 2005 also, in Illinois :) Books, I mean.
And yes, I still like running, local sports-talker, who almost single-handedly leads all bigger running events, usually introduces me if finds me in starting list "look out nr ..., he is probably running bf or ff ... and gives similar welcome on finish line :) I'm still rare breed here. Just a week ago we had (and still have) +30...33c (85...91) and asphalt was melting ~55c/130f and he was curious if I still do 16k bf, nah, I did in ff. I did 10k race month ago bf, same weather, got blisters too easlily.