Great article in More magazine featuring TJ

Ah, my cover has been

Ah, my cover has been blown.

Thanks, RB!

I picked up my copy of More a

I picked up my copy of More a couple of weeks ago from Kroger.

Oh, BTW, the author of that article is Sarah Bowen Shea, co-author of Run Like a Mother.

Much fairer in presentation,

Much fairer in presentation, but the shoe pushers still have the edge of fear and ignorance (stick with what you know) on their side.

We're getting there, step by step.

Barefoot step-by-barefoot

Barefoot step-by-barefoot step. Hee.

Other than the first

Other than the first paragraph of it (where the military studies are cited), that second page is really misinformative. Unfortunately the article doesn't have a reader comment section.

And if that wasn't bad

And if that wasn't bad enough, the link to the BRS website (mentioned in the first paragraph of the article) is all fuddled up.

Thanks, Jason.The link works

Thanks, Jason.

The link works just fine for me, Nyah. Please check it again.

Barefoot TJ wrote:The link

Barefoot TJ said:
The link works just fine for me, Nyah. Please check it again.
OK, I checked it again and the problem is still there. The text says "barefootrunners.org" but the url in the link is "http://barefootrunners.xn--or-f1t/". When I click on it, the browser says that the server "barefootrunners.xn--or-f1t/" doesn't exist.

jschwab wrote:I think the

jschwab said:
I think the nugget of advice of trying it if you're intrigued is pretty good. I think that's a great article!
In the same paragraph you're citing, it also says "Stick to forgiving surfaces, such as grass, running tracks and packed dirt.". That sounds to me like the opinion of someone who is not informed about BF running. Anyone who has actually tried BF running knows that hard, solid surfaces are the easiest to do it on.

Nyah wrote:jschwab wrote:I

Nyah said:
jschwab said:
I think the nugget of advice of trying it if you're intrigued is pretty good. I think that's a great article!
In the same paragraph you're citing, it also says "Stick to forgiving surfaces, such as grass, running tracks and packed dirt.". That sounds to me like the opinion of someone who is not informed about BF running. Anyone who has actually tried BF running knows that hard, solid surfaces are the easiest to do it on.

I have the same pet peeve, but I was trying to accentuate the positive!

Yes, Nyah, they always add

Yes, Nyah, they always add what they "think" is the correct advice. It would be nice if they wouldn't presume to know. And yes, hard, flat surfaces are the best teachers.

Anyone else having the same problem with the link that Nyah is? I don't get the error he gets, and the window opens to the site just fine. Please check it out you guys, and let me know. I can probably ask them to fix it, but who knows if they actually will. Most people know to add the www. prefix, or I hope so. It's printed the same way in the hardcopy magazine, so people will either have to add the prefix themselves or their browser will do it for them automatically.

J, I like the positive parts as well. Accentuate the positive, right?

Well I'll take the contrarian

Well I'll take the contrarian view, here. I know that asphalt/concrete is the best surface to perfect your form on, but once you have it down, there's nothing like running on a grass field with the warm spring air blowing on your face and the butterflies bumping against your chest. The place where I run a lot has a huge grass area with an asphalt path on one side. I usually run the grass, then hop on the path for a while then back on the grass. I much prefer the grass. Dirt trails are great, too.

I love grass too.  It's like

I love grass too. It's like an occasional treat. Ken Bob calls it dessert. Yet even grass has its own inherent dangers, such as hidden debris that could cut you and hidden holes to turn an ankle. But I do love an occasional grass run, and even more so, I love running along the wet sand near the ocean.

Never mind about the link,

Never mind about the link, TJ. I just now compared the webpage in two different browsers and the link is different in one of them but not the other. This is the first time I've ever seen this occurance so, maybe it's some new way of optimizing for one browser at the expense of another. Next time, I'll do the comparison before mentioning a perceived problem like this. Carry on.

Oh, thanks for the

Oh, thanks for the clarification.

TJ, you mention the hazzards

TJ, you mention the hazzards of grass, one being it's uneveness. I've found that the uneveness is very beneficial, because your feet and legs are constantly adjusting to the terrain. You are not taking the exact same steps over and over again which can lead to overuse injuries, even while barefoot. To me, grass is refreshing and more BFRers might want to incorporate some grass time into their workouts.

I totally agree with you

I totally agree with you though, Miqie. Once you've got a good base going (good BFR form) incorporating all kinds of surfaces can be really good for the body and the soul, or sole... Hee.