Great Aloha Run

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by Dirtbag, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Dirtbag

Dirtbag Barefooters
    1. Hawaii

Anyone planning on doing the Great Aloha Run? Don't think I'll be barefooting it, I'm gonna cut back some (shhhh, don't tattle) because I'm training for my first Olympic Tri and I don't want to bother with the learning curve blisters during heavy training. Won't cut all the way back, but probably won't be barefooting at least part every run anymore. I'll still be in the VFFs though.

So, GAR anyone?

2. FreeYourToes

FreeYourToes Barefooters
    1. Connecticut
    2. Hawaii

I will be there barefoot.

I will be there barefoot. I think a few people I work with will be running in their VFF's

3. Dirtbag

Dirtbag Barefooters
    1. Hawaii

Saw a ton of VFFs today. Only

Saw a ton of VFFs today. Only one barefooter.

I had a good run. Slow, but I was more interested in just getting it done than running fast. I'm in the middle of an Olympic tri training cycle and didn't want to burn my legs out. Gotta get up early tomorrow to swim and then I have a ride after work. More important than a quick GAR time.

How'd you do?

4. FreeYourToes

FreeYourToes Barefooters
    1. Connecticut
    2. Hawaii

I had a feeling that the road

I had a feeling that the road was going to be terrible, and I was right. I ended up wearing my huaraches. I ran a happy 1 hr 09 min 03 sec (8:28 pace). That last 2 or so miles after you come from under nimitz and past pearl harbor terrorized my feet. I had trouble running on it even with my huaraches, there is no way I could have ran it barefoot. I also seen a ton of people wearing VFF's and they were constantly talking about them to whoever they were standing next too.

5. Dirtbag

Dirtbag Barefooters
    1. Hawaii

That part of the road wasn't

That part of the road wasn't terribly foot friendly. Big dose of heat coming out from under Nimitz didn't help either. I tried to be minimalist friendly and pointed out, waved at, called to, and otherwise played with other people rockin' the toe shoes. Talked to a few people and answered that wonderful question, "So, how much support you get in those?"

Ran a 1:23 (10:23ish pace), but like I said, I wasn't interested in going fast. Just enjoying myself. Sounds like you had a great run.

Do you tri, or just run?

6. FreeYourToes

FreeYourToes Barefooters
    1. Connecticut
    2. Hawaii

Haha. I get that support

Haha. I get that support question all the time when I wear my VFF's. I usually tell them something along the lines of I have 26 bones in each foot for all the support I need.

I liked the race, although it should start earlier to help with the heat. I probably could have shaved about 5 mins off if it were cooler out. I did like the stadium finish, I thought it was pretty neat. My feet didnt agree and I got a couple blisters on the tips of my toes.

I would love to do a duathlon. I cant do a tri because I cant swim. Tried several times to learn, but have failed miserably every time.

7. saypay45

saypay45 Chapter Presidents
    1. Minnesota
    2. Iowa

How's the stress fracture

How's the stress fracture Eric?

8. FreeYourToes

FreeYourToes Barefooters
    1. Connecticut
    2. Hawaii

It's doing good. I have been

It's doing good. I have been taking it slow but still enjoying the time I can go barefoot before I deploy