Grandma's Marathon

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by etreas, Jan 16, 2017.

1. etreas

etreas
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. California...
    2. Presidents

Hi Minnesota runners! I'm a barefoot runner from CA and am considering Grandma's Marathon in June. However, I'm curious about whether the course is very barefoot friendly. Has anyone here run it, or is anyone familiar with the terrain? I read an old post saying the first 6 miles are all rough chipseal, and I'm wondering if that's still the case or they've since improved the roads. Any insight is appreciated!

Cheers,
    Emilie

Barefoot TJ likes this.
  2. TD Moose

TD Moose
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Minnesota

I Never have run Grandma's marathon, but, I am familiar with the terrain and roads. The scenic route of Hwy 61 is overall good road. That is the main stretch between Two Harbors. However, I'm not sure of any plans to seal coat any parts of that stretch, which is certainly possible.

A bigger concern may be accommodations, unless you have a friend in the area. The race starts in Two Harbors, which is a tiny town about 20 miles north of Duluth. Typically, the very few hotel rooms there are booked a year in advance and they jack up the rates by 200 to 300 percent. Duluth has more, but, they are booking up fast. Many require a two or three night stay. Make use of the shuttles to get to the race. Don't plan on driving from Duluth to the start. A major highway does parallel the race course, but you won't be able to get anywhere close to the start line, even for drop off.

Barefoot TJ likes this.
  3. Barefoot Ken Bob

Barefoot Ken Bob
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    1. California...

I completed Grandma's Marathon a "couple" years ago in 2003. I don't remember any rough bits, but pavement can change dramatically with a couple years of weathering (as it had the 11 years between the two times I ran St. George Marathon in Utah).

I did perfect my Run, Nap, Run method at Grandmas'. By about mile 22-23 I was really worn out, and walking at about 16 min/mile. I stopped and laid back on the sidewalk with a cup of water from the aid station, and sipped water, and rested for what felt like 5-10 minutes (may have been less), then completed the final 3-4 miles at an 8-9 min/mile pace (well worth the nap time). Finished in about 4 hours.

P.S. what was said about lodging is absolutely correct. The reason I was tired was because I stayed at a friend's hunting cabin about an hour south, and mosquitoes had sucked most of the blood from my body during the night, not to mention making it difficult to sleep.

We looked at a couple of local hotels near the cabin, but they were all booked up.

The next night we had no trouble getting a hotel room.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    Barefoot TJ likes this.