Grand Canyon - Rim to River to Rim

Looks like my trip can't be until the first week of June... how bad does that make it?

Expect temperatures of 105° down in the canyon and plan accordingly (plenty of water and salt for electrolyte replacement). And do it early enough. By 10:30am the trail surface will be intolerably hot for bare feet--you'll need some sort of protection. (YMMV.)

Thanks. I am betting there will be at least one barefooter, but I might bring either some sandals or minimalist shoes for parts. I hope to get at least some of it completely barefoot.

Looks like my trip can't be until the first week of June... how bad does that make it?

Still possible, just make preparations for the heat, which you have some experience with living in Texas. Adjust your time goals and your route. Consider the Bright Angle Trail even though it is longer. More water options.

I hate to discourage being barefoot, but that time of year, the heat is going to bake the trail. Realistically, you are going to need footwear the whole time. (but after seeing what is being accomplished in the barefoot world, I'm not saying it can't be done.) Fall is more barefoot friendly time to run or hike.

I hate to discourage being barefoot, but that time of year, the heat is going to bake the trail. Realistically, you are going to need footwear the whole time.

Let me disagree slightly. At that time of year the trails will not be too hot until around 10:30am or so. (There may also be some shaded areas that last longer.) That's exactly the time I was there: June 2-3.

If I remember correctly, the buses start running around 4:30am that time of year, so with an early start and sufficient speed I suspect much of it could be done barefoot. That said, bring backup footwear for any contingencies.

Yes, even that time of year, some of the trail can be done barefoot, but considering the goal is a double crossing, I'm not sure how much you want to do barefoot. It also depends on how much time you want to spend in the Canyon. I'm slower and more cautious barefoot. Which sometimes turns out to be a good thing.

Rick,
Congrats on a great trip. I was down your way on our way to run the las Vegas Ragnar 196 or somthing miles I had 19 on my portion.
- good luck this winter. Rick

Yes, even that time of year, some of the trail can be done barefoot, but considering the goal is a double crossing, I'm not sure how much you want to do barefoot.

Double crossing? Wow, and impressive.

I should add that I just went down the South Kaibab and up the Bright Angel. If you are coming from the North Rim I would imagine that the southern exposure would provide less shade and the ground would start heating up much more quickly.

As I've been meaning to, I finally have this on the home page, Rick. Thanks for sharing!

Rick,
Congrats on a great trip. I was down your way on our way to run the las Vegas Ragnar 196 or somthing miles I had 19 on my portion.
- good luck this winter. Rick
Thanks Rik. A little report would be great considering some of us are getting into relays. I know you have some experience in that area and could give us some tips. Just passed through your area. I don't know how you deal with that air. I guess you have some good trails up on the bench, but snow will soon cover those. Come on down to So. Utah when you need a break. Check out some of the races this way.

Just passed through your area. I don't know how you deal with that air.

I get to visit SLC every January and the air is almost always "challenging". Most years it is, at best, mustard coloured and some years I feel as though I can chew it. I wish we got to spend more time in Park City!
The best night was when we went into a pub with air that could, practically, be cut and left 3 hours later to clear skies and a deep frost. The beer was only 3.2 so we surely weren't drunk. Thank the deities for strong cold fronts!

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7