Grand Canyon - Rim to River to Rim

rickwhitelaw

Barefooters
Apr 27, 2011
Beryl Utah
Most people have heard of the Grand Canyon, many have seen it. Some people hike it and some crazy people run it. Ok, maybe not crazy since I’d like to be one of them. Let’s just say adventurous. Crossing the Grand Canyon has become a “bucket list” item. Most Ultra runners or aspiring Ultra runners will have done, or will do, a Rim to Rim to Rim. A double crossing. Those not quite up to that level should consider a single crossing and those not up to that level should try a rim to river or multi day trek, those not up to that level should consider a short out and back. The point is, the options are numerous and so many people go to the Grand Canyon and not even go beyond the rims. I encourage everyone to go to the Grand Canyon, take your pictures on the rim, and then hike down a little, or a lot. The place is incredible. I have been lucky enough to go three times this year. The place is addicting.

My original plan was to do a Rim to Rim (South to North) with my son, and I wanted to try it barefoot. Plans changed a little with the main factor being unable to arrange a shuttle. I just couldn’t ask my wife to drop us off (1.5 hours), drive to the N. Rim (4 hours), wait who knows how long for us, and then drive 3.5 hours back to Flagstaff. Other factors included my son having a sore back, broken toe, little conditioning, and me not being fully recovered from a marathon two weeks earlier. So I decided a Rim to River and back would be a better option. Bright Angel down and South Kaibab up.

We got out of Flagstaff pretty early and drove to the South Rim. My son slept the whole way (teenager), the drive seemed to take forever, I was pretty excited. I decided to split the difference between the two trail heads and parked at Mather Point. I was already chewing myself out for not getting an earlier start, the sun was already up and the forecast was for 90 degrees in the bottom of the canyon. The car was reading 29 degrees earlier and after the sunrise it warmed to 34. This was good because I didn’t want to pack extra clothing. We gathered our gear and headed out. I did pack sandals as backups.

007.jpg

Mather point overlook

Our first stop was Mather Point overlook. It was beautiful with the morning sun highlighting the canyon walls. We made our way along the Rim trail going from overlook to overlook. As we made our way east we could see our goal, Phantom Ranch, way down at the bottom of the canyon. The Rim trail is all paved and was about 2.5 miles to the Bright Angel trailhead. We used up a lot of time looking at the overlooks and hiking slowly. My son did not want to run, he had heavy hiking boots on. Finally the trail head and dirt. We made our way down Bright Angel. The conditions were really good for being barefoot. Some rocky areas on the switchbacks, but with a slow pace I could find a smooth place for each step.
016.jpg

There were a lot of people hiking. We didn't have to worry too much about downhill traffic, only a few people passed us, but the uphill traffic was slowing us down quite a bit. We had to yield to people coming up from camping in the canyon and then listen to them say how crazy I was. At some point, my son was convinced that I was just barefoot for the attention. He was getting good at some of the comebacks, joking with people. Only one slightly negative comment from a female park ranger. “Barefoot huh?” Yes. “Well good luck.” In a sarcastic tone. I understood her skepticism, these rangers have to help hundreds of people every year that get into trouble.

We continued on, down, down, down. Indian Garden about halfway down was beautiful, a green oasis in a desert canyon. The trail was a little rocky here, but not too bad. After Indian Garden the trail followed a creek ravine. This was my favorite part of the trail. Smooth rock with pockets of sand. I even ran a little. It didn’t last long; a series of exposed switch backs called the Devil’s Corkscrew was next. It was rocky and starting to get hot. I made it through those and the river came into view. We had to stop for 15 minutes. I couldn't keep my son out of the river (teenager).
034.jpg

I was getting a little worried about the heat, so I encouraged him to continue with the reminder of lunch at Phantom ranch waiting for us. We followed the river and discovered that we missed the trail. I spotted it about 100 yards above us. Go back or scramble up the scree to the trail? We scrambled and it was a little dangerous with the loose rocks.
035.jpg

When we got on the trail, guess who was there? The “friendly” park ranger. “Are you just trying to punish yourself?” She warned us that the upcoming sand was going to be hot. We got to the sand and it was fine. My feet were getting a little sensitive so the soft sand felt great. I passed another barefoot hiker. I said “I’m not the only one?” Then I noticed that she had every toe taped, her heels taped, and her boots on her pack. She was miserable with blisters.

We crossed the river on a suspension bridge (the hardest part of the hike, metal grate) and made our way to Phantom ranch. We found the Cantina and got our lunches. Just out the door, one of the workers followed me out and said “Are you barefoot?” “Busted”, my son exclaimed. “I didn't see your sign”, I lied. (I know, not a very good example in front of my son) No, she said, that was mainly for the campers, she was quite impressed that I had hiked down barefoot. We gobbled up half of our lunch and packed the rest and headed out. I was looking forward to the uphill section. Right before the bridge, we found our park ranger advising people not to hike the S. Kaibab trail because of no water sources. We show her that we were packing enough water and I told her that I hiked the trail the same time last year and had no problems. She finally lightened up and figured we were capable hikers and being barefoot was not just a stunt. So we chatted a bit about the beauty of the canyon and her having the best job in the world.

We moved on, I knew our time was short and we had to set a good pace on the uphill. My feet got their second wind, the trail was great, there was shade on most of the trail from the low sun, and we cruised up. My son is amazing. I thought he would struggle on the uphill, but he was fine (teenager). Just a few scenery stops and we were nearing the top.

054.jpg

The last of the sunlight on the South Kaibab trail

It was just getting dark on the final switch backs and I had to hike by feel. Got to the top, we were done. The plan was to hike the 2 miles back to the car, but it was dark so we caught the shuttle. Another great hike accomplished.

For more trail information and better pictures, Thea Gavin and Ahcuah, have some excellent write ups on their blogs. Their information really helped me prepare for this hike.

A few notes:

Mileage – around 19 Vertical change – nearly 10,000 feet Time – 11 hours

Things that went right – Perfect weather, packed light, fueled, took electrolytes , and hydrated on a schedule, used trekking poles, slow pace, wore a cotton shirt (thanks Jason R.), pre-ordered a sack lunch, and being barefoot of course.

Things to improve on – an earlier start, pack a headlamp, pack jersey gloves next time. Cell phone to call my worried wife at the end of the hike. A place to stay on the rim would have been nice.

Hi Rick! I enjoyed your write-up and photos. It made me wish I were back at the Canyon again. Even though you had to change plans, it looks like you still had a good time, and that's what (I think) barefooting is all about. I'm really glad you advised me to bring the hiking poles on my trek--they seemed to help a lot with being able to step a little quicker and not worry about losing my balance if I hit something sharp. And--I agree--the Bright Angel Trail bridge over the Colorado River was painful! That metal grate seemed to go on forever!

Happy Trails!

Thea

I enjoyed reading this...
We visited the Grand Canyon last summer, but since we had only (part of) a day, we only walked/hiked half of the rim trail.
However, we decided to come back to the States 'once', and instead of visiting (much too shortly) many parks, spending more time in only one or two...

Dude I am getting the itch...

So how are you feeling about the R2R2R?

I can't belive they haven't cleared a path on that rockfall it's been that way for a couple of years now.

Dude I am getting the itch...

So how are you feeling about the R2R2R?

I can't belive they haven't cleared a path on that rockfall it's been that way for a couple of years now.

If things keep going well, I'll be ready in May. I was thinking about starting a new R2R2R thread in the Ultra forum to see if anyone is interested. Thing is, I'll be hiking most of it, I'm still trying to figure out how to run.

What's going on with the running? Do you mean running it barefoot?

No, I wouldn't even attempt it barefoot. My running has been going well, no more knee issues, and I am thinking about transitioning back to shoes for longer distances. I'm a very slow runner and have yet to complete a marathon at a decent pace, so the R2R2R is a huge goal, but I have a strong hiking background and believe I would be fine if I found the right shoe (hoping to check out the Altra Superior this weekend) and just did it as a hike. So you faster guys could run it and I would just join the party a little late.

About the superior's expect them to be a little squishy at least that is what my wife called them. They are much more of a shoe than any others I have worn recently. But they do make trail running much easier than my other shoes.

No worries I am a slow runner too.

Reactions: rickwhitelaw
That looks awesome Rick. Haven't ever been there myself, but would love to hike (or run) it someday. I'm even more envious since I never had the chance to go backpacking this year (except for one quick daytrip). I might even say it is my favorite thing to do.

Reactions: NickW
That looks awesome Rick. Haven't ever been there myself, but would love to hike (or run) it someday. I'm even more envious since I never had the chance to go backpacking this year (except for one quick daytrip). I might even say it is my favorite thing to do.
Thanks, Rick, for letting us live vicariously through you for a few minutes. :) The more all you guys write about the Grand Canyon, the itchier my feet get. Ahhh, someday...

You guys need to put this on your list. I love to recommend the places in my home state of Utah (Zion, Bryce, Canyonlands, Moab, etc.), but if you make it out anywhere in the west, you have got to see the Grand Canyon.

You guys need to put this on your list. I love to recommend the places in my home state of Utah (Zion, Bryce, Canyonlands, Moab, etc.), but if you make it out anywhere in the west, you have got to see the Grand Canyon.

Would you say the Grand Canyon is better than Zion and Bryce? We did those two once instead of the Grand Canyon because we heard the Grand Canyon wasn't that great...

Would you say the Grand Canyon is better than Zion and Bryce? We did those two once instead of the Grand Canyon because we heard the Grand Canyon wasn't that great...

That's a tough question that might take a couple of pages to answer, but I will try to summarize. Each place is unique and I tend to under appreciate the beautiful locations that are close. Part of the appeal of the Grand Canyon is the preparation and travel time it takes to get there. Bryce and Zion have always been day trips for me. The parks are much smaller, but also have numerous long hike/run options. I'm so lucky to have all this beauty around me, I didn't even mention the National Monuments and State Parks that are just as beautiful.

So, if I only had one park option, I would still give the edge to the Grand Canyon.

I'm trying to figure out why you heard the Grand Canyon wasn't that great.

1. Weather? I have lucked out and had perfect weather when I have been there. I have heard many poor hiking experiences from going when it is too hot.
2. Too many people? The South Rim can be very crowded at times. Also, the trails can be very busy.
3. The view? Often the sky's are a little smokey or hazy and maybe the views weren't very picture worthy.
4. Travel time. It takes a long drive to get to either rim. Most people try to see too many parks on their trips and don't have enough time to hike off the rim a little. The view points are great, but you have to experience hiking down off the rims.

Most people try to see too many parks on their trips and don't have enough time to hike off the rim a little. The view points are great, but you have to experience hiking down off the rims.
I think that is it, it sounds like you need to hike down a bit to get the full experiance, so I'm sure those I heard this from did not go below the rim.

Reactions: NickW