Got a few good stares and a comment today

BFwillie_g

Barefooters
May 17, 2010
Kulmbach, Germany
Was out running today - a 10 miler, the first lap was 5.5mi BF on the pavement, a new pure BF longest run for me as normally stick to the woods and Huaraches. There's a fairly major Triathlon event in town tomorrow so the roads were teeming with bike racers today, testing out the course.

A team of about seven riders came from the opposite direction, every one of them did a double take as they noticed me: shirtless, shoeless, with the baby blue pirate bandana on my head and a s**t-eating grin on my face (I remembered that rule). One of the riders actually swerved toward me because he'd stared so long. If a car had been on location, he'd of gotten knocked around a bit.

But the best was rider number eight, who had stopped to take a leak on the side of the road and who I caught up to a few seconds after the rest of the team had gotten over the shock of seeing me and were back in their stride. Or cadence, or whatever it is.

He was letting out the gusher in on direction yet looking at me as I approached. I was ready for some kind of rhetorical ejaculation when he called out, smiling and friendly:

"The last one I saw do that was Abebe Bikila in nineteen hundred and sixty!"

I replied, "Saw???"

His answer, "Yep!"

That was when I did the double take and realized I was taking with what must have been something like the Grandaddy of all Triathletes - no, I didn't get his name, but he looked quite old, very tough and wiry, and he gave me a thumbs-up and it felt great, like it really meant something :D

It was a wonderful run today, the kind that really should have lasted till long past sundown, ya know?

I had a pack of

I had a pack of cyclists goo-goo eyes all over me too; I didn't get a fancy comparison to Abebe though. :cool:

Sounds fun! Great experiences

Sounds fun! Great experiences like that are wonderful things.

On this mornings run I ended

On this mornings run I ended up with two seperate people saying "ouch" as I ran by and an older gent gave me a "way to go!"

Some day I may stop and chat with an "ouch"er and see what makes them say that.

Yesterday, I was on a 3.5

Yesterday, I was on a 3.5 miler (easing back into running since the surgery on my feet; still big ouchies). I run in a golf cart community. Even the kids drive golf carts to school. Anywho, a guy and his friend were coming toward me in a golf cart rather fast on one of the cart paths, and he held his hand out to me as he was passing by. At the last moment, I realized he wanted a high-five. Now that was cool.

It's more like hobbling, but

It's more like hobbling, but thank you very much for the support. ;-)

Awesome TJ. Hobbling or not,

Awesome TJ. Hobbling or not, glad you're back out there!