Good winter minimalist shoe recommendation needed

LeeJo

Barefooters
Aug 27, 2011
I run mostly entirely barefoot, sometimes in Vibram Bikilas. However, it is September, and I live in Michigan, winter is coming, and I don't want to run bare in the snow.

SO, what works in cold, slushy, rainy, snowy, etc. weather for minimalist running?

You'll be fine in what you

You'll be fine in what you have. I've run several winters in my VFF KSOs.

If you feel like you'll want something warmer, my personal recommendation is something from Soft Star (the Runamoc or Dash) in smooth suede. Those will keep your feet toasty warm.

I am in Mid Michigan and was

I am in Mid Michigan and was wondering when this topic would be brought up. I ran in Teva Sling Kings and the Run Amocs last winter. I had issues with the Run Amocs but I might give them a try again. I really like what the company is all about I just did not get many miles out of them. I am also thinking about these. http://www.vivobarefoot.com/us/neo-trail-mens-37.html/ It has not been uncommon for us to start to see the white stuff as early as the begining of next month. Good luck.

You can get some five-toed

You can get some five-toed socks (Injinji, for example) to keep your toes even warmer, and they have them in wool.

I just want to add that toe

I just want to add that toe shoes in winter will not keep your toes as warm as a OneFinger-type shoe. Keep those little piggies snuggly and warm by keeping them together, not separated.

I used to run in the Vibram 5

I used to run in the Vibram 5 fingers, but I guess I'm more of a wimp because I live in the Dallas/Denton area, and the winters here were too cold for running in the VFFs. I found Merrell Pace Gloves to be the best alternative, and in winter, you can wear socks! :) They have Vibram soles but all of your tootsies are together. The injinji socks are also a good to augment your VFFs, but kinda $$.

The best solution I've found

The best solution I've found for snow/slush is ventilated, quick-drying shoes paired with wool socks. The hardest part for me is finding a shoe that combines flexibility with secure fit and doesn't constrict the big toe. The shoe which sold me on the concept of ventilation in winter was the Feelmax Osma but, it left much to be desired in flexibility and could've had more room for the big toe.

I started last winter in VFF

I started last winter in VFF Flows, which is supposed to be the cold weather model. They were plenty warm but sucked eggs for traction in the snow (although they were better than the nike lunarglides I was supplementing with at the time). Add to that they no longer fit right (if they ever did - they really squished my forefoot/toes) so that option is out this winter for me.

In January I got a pair of trail gloves and they worked very well in snowy conditions as they have much better traction.

Thinking along the lines of "shoes as tools" here's my current plan (subject to change):

snowy sloppy conditions: trail gloves

cold/dry: barefoot (I have a high tolerance for cold) or Bedrock Sandals

cold/wet: Bedrock Sandals or possibly Zem 360's

I'm kind of playing it by ear. I'm really leaning toward trying to get some money together for a pair of the 360's and some waterproof socks and see how those handle snow. The trail gloves alter my gait just enough that it bugs me, but they are so good in the snow! (in my opinion anyway)

Im live in NJ and I second

Im live in NJ and I second the five-toed socks option. I use different thickness of Injinji socks depending on the weather but I prefer the thinner ones. (This is in addition to my Vibram Sprints.)

Last winetr I also broke down and joined a gym for 3 months. I hate treadmills but there was a lot of snow here.

On snowy days in NJ I used

On snowy days in NJ I used wool socks with scuba boots. Wool stays warm even when wet. I love wool!

On cold dry days I used wool socks with huarache style sandals to warm up then I ran some sections barefoot and put the sock/sandals on if/when my toes started feeling numb. Even in the winter you may be able to get many miles truly barefoot and happy.

For this year I have a pair of Merrell Pace Gloves that I may use in the snow if I need extra traction.

I found that on flat terrain, the lack of traction in the snow forced me to not push off at all and helped improve my form.

The only pair of "mininal

The only pair of "mininal shoes" I have are VFF's, which are my winter shoes in drastic measures. I have an old pair of KSO's which I survived three winters in. I ran in snow, slush, freezing temps without issues. Last winter my snow shoe was Vibram sprints.

This winter my snow shoe will be my barefeet.

This sucks that it's now

This sucks that it's now September and we're already talking about winter! And shoes!

I live in southern WI, and am

I live in southern WI, and am seeking a solution for this winter also... I have KSO's, but I don't think they will give the traction and warmth that I'm looking for. My trail gloves irritate the hell out of my turf toe, and it's not showing any signs of healing anytime soon, so may check out the softstars...

another Michigander..  I have

another Michigander.. I have Merrell Pure gloves and paired them with wool socks last winter, will do the same.. as a fiber artist I know that mittens are warmer than gloves so toe socks and toe shoes are NOT a consideration for me. I will run indoors when I can barefoot.. and that should help keep the surface of my feet in better shape, but I do NOT have much cold tolerance, so I bundle up anyway... can't imagine runnign true bare.. It MAY be a month or so til snow here, but hard to guess when its 95 today!

Bottom line is you need to

Bottom line is you need to wear cotton/wool socks or neoprene socks paired with water shoes, moccasins or zero drop mininalist shoes...these combinations will do it all....it up to you pick the different brands/models to make it work out.

For me I like the wool socks/moccasins footwear for everyday winter trail running with some faster runs in wool socks/zero drop trail shoes for when I want to be speedy.

not to hijack this thread or

not to hijack this thread or anything but hearing you all talk about winter and snow makes me sad. I'm sitting here in Texas with our drought still in full force, waiting for the first cold front to drop the highs down into the 90's. sigh.

Anyway, continue with your wintertime discussion. I will read and dream. :)

Thanks for the ideas. I plan

Thanks for the ideas. I plan to run naked as much as possible, for as long as possible, but I do draw the line at snow, slush, ice etc. Sorry for the downer hobbitfoot, but I don't want to be screwed when the snow arrives. I happen to LOVE winter, so the topic doesn't get me down.

Off shopping I go, I think my vff's will do for most of the winter, but want a back up. I also plan to SNOWSHOE as a cross training workout. :D

I'm another VFF guy. I ran in

I'm another VFF guy. I ran in my Bikilas all through the winter here near Philly. Sometimes it was sweet and no worries. Other times, with hard ice frozen into jagged footprint forms or crusts that broke through as I ran over them - there was no real good solution. I just ran and cussed.

No matter what, it will take getting used to. I can hardly wait!

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts